Hi from across the pond!

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
nick robson

Hi from across the pond!

Post by nick robson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:29 am

Hello from Ireland everyone!

Intros are not my best skills and I tend to ramble on and on, so take cover because here it goes...

I've been collecting diecast models on and off since the mid-late 80's. I once had a large 1:64 collection when I was a kid (about 100 of them), but when I became a teenager I traded them for heavy metal vynil records. Can't say I regret it, but sometimes I wish I kept them...

Then one day in the early 90's I was walking past a model shop which had some BBuragos, Maistos and Minichamps on display, went in to have a look and left with the first two of many BBuragos I ended up collecting throughout the decade - a 250 Testa Rossa and a black Lambo Countach. I disliked Chinese-made stuff with a passion at the time, that's why I went for Italian-made BBuragos...

At that time, I also bought a few very cheap 1:32 which I enjoyed customizing with new paintjobs and decals... it kept me from doing the same with my 1:18... :o

By late 90's I had about 60 of the 1:18 alone, ran out of room for/interest in them, and sold/donated all but the first 5 - which I still have, 26 years on and still looking like new, except for a yellow 911 that is now showing the first signs of zinc pest on the rear area :(

The 1:32s? I think that my parents gave them away when I moved out. :(

Now last year I decided to "rekindle my flame" for this hobby, but lacking the much needed knowledge and being more of a impulse Internet buyer than a sensible one, I've been ripped off a few times too many to bother counting.

So, long story short, that's what brings me to this board, to see if I can learn to be less of a money-wasting fool and make some good purchases for a change.

I'll try to show a bit of what have collected along the way, but mainly ask a lot of questions and learn as much as I can from you guys/gals. Yeah, you'll be annoyed with me soon enough :lol:

But don't worry, I won't damage your eyes by showing you BBuragos and Maistos :) I have a few AAs, HWEs and Kyoshos on display, nothing that's going to "wow" you, but I like them nevertheless :)

Thanks for reading this huge text... what? You didn't read it?!! :D

See you around!

nick

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Hi from across the pond!

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 am

Hi Nick, welcome to DS!

nick robson

Re: Hi from across the pond!

Post by nick robson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks!

Return to “New Member Introductions”