REVIEW: AUTOART Bugatti Chiron Sport

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
Lucky13

REVIEW: AUTOART Bugatti Chiron Sport

Post by Lucky13 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:49 pm

Well, I have not written a review in what seems like ages. There are a variety of reasons for this, many of which out of my control. But one way or another, I still managed to photograph a model my lovely wife put under the Christmas three for me. This is my fifth AutoArt Bugatti, which is joining the EB110, the original Chiron concept car, the Veyron show car and a Veyron Centenaire. This Christmas gift was no surprise and my wife actually asked me to pick the color. This was pretty hard, as the offerings from AtoArt are all really nice. On one side you have the all carbon bodies over blue or red with their matching color coded details and on the other you have two plain colors with interiors to die for. Generally, I think all Bugattis "have to be" blue, at least partially. However, this jet grey with the rich blue interior just had me from the get go. There is just something ghostly and very purposeful in its look, while the rich blue screams luxury.
I am not going to go into the details about the real car, as most are pretty familiar with it, but mostly because this is a review of a model and I see no reason to wax poetic about the one of worlds most expensive napoleon complex prescriptions. :D

Am I the only one who thinks "How to train your dragon" when looking at this photo?

The great finish of the model is immediately apparent, besides it's rather plain paint.

Visually, the only thing that distinguishes the Chiron Sport from the "regular" Chiron are the wheels and the quad pipe exhaust treatment at the rear.

Panel gaps are tights and uniform all around the panels. What may be regarded as an issue on my model, only if I have to be really nit-picky, would be the way the front hood lays down, as it sinks a little lower than perfect on the right side of the car. In my opinion, this is not an issue with the panels or the molds, but rather how it was attached to the hinges. I am pretty sure that with little persuasion I can get it perfect, but honestly I don't think its worth the time to bother, as it can not even be seen unless I point it out.

From any angle you view the model it is evident that it has a lot of detail to offer, which may be passed over at first glance. There are layers of photoetched details, carbon fiber finished items and little markings everywhere.

One of the things that I am getting a real kick out of are the taillights. On my pictures they looks like there are two different reds painted on them, but in person they look quite realistic and have more depth to them.

That blue just "glows" from the interior, helped by the color matched calipers.

At the front there are very finely made photoetched grilles, which are perfectly applied, lining up their intricate design in the same direction for all the grilles. There is zero glue or residue visible anywhere and there are no gaps between the grilles and panels. Perfectly executed.

Behind the grilles there is a second layer of photoetched parts, faithfully representing the numerous radiators and coolers hiding in the nose of the beast.

Move your attention up that center line from the front grille and you will not be disappointed by the detail. The carbon fiber is perfectly applied over some quite complicated surface, which is no easy task especially considering it is in two different directions. What is even more pleasing is that the windshield wiper arms are actually also made of carbon - something I have to admit I did not see until I looked at the pictures. Also there is the little glass logo right in the middle, just like on the real car.
This picture shows something very important. Textures. As a long time plastic model builder , I can tell you that one of the hardest things in scale is to realistically represent textures. You can see the carbon being glossy, but not the same way as the windshield which is different gloss from the black lacquer on the door mirrors. The rich deep black on the those mirrors is completely different from the tinted black on the glass while the interior rear view mirror is plastic black (as it should be). The wiper blades are also black, but have the typical rubber shine to them, which is just a little different from the defroster strips under the window. All these things are often overlooked when we look at models but they all contribute for the overall feel of a model and the slightest variations in shine, texture or paint used affects the realism of these parts.

The carbon application no the side of the model is the same kind of perfect. I don't know if the caps are separate pieces, but they sure look as if they could be opened. Right beneath is some more fine photoetched grill work, with more photoetched detail behind it, just like in the nose of the car. Note the reflection in the paint behind the door - absolutely flawless! I tried to photograph the detail behind the grill, but was no successful. I also noted on my picture that the black character line looks fuzzy, like it is bleeding into the grey paint. I did spend a considerable amount of time trying to edit my pictures and remove every speck of dust the lens caught. This fuzzy effect is due to that. In reality the line is perfect, as in the extra picture I added. Note the door handles, which are very finely executed.

Same materials and treatment can be found at the rear of the model. The really nice taillights, surrounded by perfectly applied carbon fiber and floating in photoetched grilles, behind which you can see silver photoetched heat shields. By the way, that fuzzy red thing on the side of the taillight is actually a miniature Bugatti script- another detail that I would have not noticed if it wasn't captured on my photo.

The rear wing pops up by the push of a button underneath the rear, pretty much like on my Centenaire and just like on the previous model it angle is adjustable.

What is really cool is that the underside of the wing is painted the same nice blue as the rest of the accent colored pieces on the car. It makes for quite a spectacular view from behind.
It's also nice to see that the grille around the four exhaust pipes is actually a perforated photoetched piece too.

Next my attention was locked on the brake/wheel/tire combo. The wheels are spot on and are not black in this particular case. They are very nicely textured in flat dark gunmetal. At first I got a little ticked off by a couple of things. One is the valve stem on the wheels, which looks like AutoArt did not bother to give any attention other than adding a little "pimple" on the rim. Upon research tho, that's exactly what the valves look like on the real Chiron Sport's wheels, so the ones on the model are just fine. The other thing was the detail on the brake discs. Again they turned to be fine when compared to the actual things. perhaps AutoArt could have painted the little ring in the center of the discs a more metallic grey to contrast it from the carbon disc, but honestly it would be barely noticeable while it would bring up production cost.
This brings us to the tires, which are absolutely fantastic. Honestly, I believe this is the first model manufacturer to take this approach with the shiny black decal on the tire to reproduce sidewall detail. What is even more important is that the tire tread is an actual representation of the real thing, unlike what certain Pagani models of late are wearing.

Coming down to the fuctional parts of the model, it is really nice to see realistic steerable tires that move more than 5 degrees and doors that open all the way like on the real cars.

These doors give us great access to a truly spectacular (mostly because of its color) interior.

All the blue parts have the feel and look of a fine leather with the right texture. I would like to mention the seatbelts, because I have read different opinions on AutoArt's choices. I have used anything under the sun you can think of to reproduce seatbelts in scale. In anything from 1:43 to 1:8. I have used anything from self adhesive vinyl material used for umbrella repair, through plain paper and medical tape colored with sharpies to craft ribbon which had the perfect weave pattern. At the end of the day it does not matter what material is used as long as it looks realistic. In my days when I was very active on the competition model building scene, I have seen some absolutely amazing looking seatbelts in scale that were just paper colored with acrylics. And we're talking 6 point F1 harness with photoetched adjustable buckles! So, the belts in this model are made of I'm not sure what, as I did not try to pull them. Why should anyone do that anyway?! But they look real. And one of the main things contributing to that is that they look like there is weight and tension to them - something often difficult to achieve with fabric belts.

The door cards are very nice carbon fiber, sharply contrasted by the blue and some pretty nice silver hardware. there are two switches next to the door pull, that are represented by flat silver decals. This is my only gripe. I really don't understand why they were not molded into the part even if making them separate parts was not cost effective.

For me personally, the interior is the highlight of this model and was the main reason to go with this color option. Everything is nicely done and the "carpet" matches the color of the rest perfectly.

The steering wheel and the dash behind it are very well done. That's a very complicated mold for the steering wheel and it is amazing that there are no visible mold lines. The labels in the door sill are a very nice touch.

Going back to what I was talking about earlier about texture and finishes, you can see on this picture how the carbon fiber for the interior is flat, yet still has a shine to it, but it is completely different from the gloss carbon in front of the windshield. The white Chiron Sport script is also very nice. It is not easy to get effect on flat textures surface.

I consider the trunk part of the interior and I am not left disappointed here either.

There are two nice bags in the carpeted trunk space.

The devil's in the details they say. I get a special kind of satisfaction from little details like the name tag hanging from one of the bags.

The bags with their Chiron Sport markings are not the only thing to see with the front hood open.

There are all the tags and marked caps under there too. The coolest one to me is the windshield washer fluid cap, which is done in pretty much same manner as the tires's sidewalls - it's a black label on a black cap. Genius!

Looks cool all open up and unloaded.........
Ohhhh....wait- it's not completely opened up.....

The engine cover is removable to show the top of that exotic power plant. Honestly, I think AutoArt could have thrown separate caps on all the white bottles and done a touch better on the silver pipes of the motor. However, it is still a nice looking engine with just the right splash of blue and carbon fiber. It still has all its proper markings and emblems and everything is there, including the dip-stick, which was made such a big deal over on another model.

To be perfectly honest, on some of these new cars I don't even care anymore if the engine opens, as there is not much to see. What I really like about the removable engine cover is not so much what's underneath, but how that cover attaches. This is not the first time magnets have been employed for the task, but I love how they are not visible anywhere. I have no idea where the magnets are located, which gives me a weird sense of satisfaction.

Now it's fully open and unloaded!

The last thing I like to address is also something often discussed. The weight of the "composite line". I personally couldn't care less how much the models weigh. This is not a real life three and a half ton Rolls Royce that it's ride would benefit from its weight, so you don't drip Grey Poupon mustard on your three thousand dollar suit, while you're fixing yourself a sandwich on the foldable mahogany table on the back of your chauffeur's seat who is doing 90mph on your way to tea time with the mistress. There is nothing more luxurious in more weight. At least not when it comes to model cars, which are basically toys for the people who can not afford the luxury of owning the real things. Actually I can thing of a bunch of reasons why we can all benefit from lighter models.
Having said this, the new Die Cast Composite Chiron Sport from AutoArt weighs the same as their old De Cast Metal Veyron show car. And even if it was lighter, I would take the composite model with all its extra features over the metal one. The Veyron Centenaire on the other hand is distinctly heavier than the other two.

In conclusion!
This is one mighty fine model that pack more punch than expected. Especially considering that it is readily available from a big list of reputable and well known retailers and can still be had for $230 SHIPPED!!! I think it is a great value at this price and I am glad AutoArt still produce great models at reasonable prices (relatively speaking) instead of taking the gimmicky route of fancy packaging and color coded useless tools to cover up jacked up prices. Now I have to decide f I should finally pull the trigger on that yellow AutoArt Chiron or should I just clean up my airbrush and get to work on one of the dozen or so Maisto Chirons I have. Meanwhile get them Chiron Sports while you can at these prices. The grey ones. like the one presented here are already starting to go up in price.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to y'all!

[KRAFTIG]

Re: REVIEW: AUTOART Bugatti Chiron Sport

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:40 am

Good stuff! One thing for sure AUTOart can still execute a Bugatti! The colour combination is my favourite by far, the exterior so subtle the interior just egging you on to come to play.

I believe the seatbelts here are fabric, which I prefer. I do have the model in hand but due to home reno the access is limited; I will investigate more when I can. The motor based on your photos looks looks like a slight step backwards on the execution side, AUTOart could definitely do better. All in, the model, on the whole, looks fabulous!

Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:53 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:40 am
Good stuff! One thing for sure AUTOart can still execute a Bugatti! The colour combination is my favourite by far, the exterior so subtle the interior just egging you on to come to play.

I believe the seatbelts here are fabric, which I prefer. I do have the model in hand but due to home reno the access is limited; I will investigate more when I can. The motor based on your photos looks looks like a slight step backwards on the execution side, AUTOart could definitely do better. All in, the model, on the whole, looks fabulous!
Absolutely agree on the motor. They could and should have done a bit better.
I am not in middle of renovations, but not too different on the model accessibility situation. These photos were taken on my kitchen table with some battery powered LED flashlights for lighting. Most of my models are still packed after a huge move.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:41 am

Great review. That is a fantastic color combo.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:09 pm

Great review! I agree the model is very good with the engine being a (slight) disappointment. This proof AA can execute very well when they want.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:17 am

Atalante wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:09 pm
Great review! I agree the model is very good with the engine being a (slight) disappointment. This proof AA can execute very well when they want.
But they have always proven they can execute a Bug :)

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:17 am
Atalante wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:09 pm
But they have always proven they can execute a Bug :)
That is absolutely true. I just received my EB100 SS and it is excellent. Even the blue Bugatti box is on point.

Return to “Model Reviews”