REVIEW: LCD vs Autoart - The Huayra Roadster Match

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
Lucky13

REVIEW: LCD vs Autoart - The Huayra Roadster Match

Post by Lucky13 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:42 pm

I have been toying with the idea of making a series of review/comparisons between often compared models (and some never compared) for quite some time. Years actually. However, I never found the time or the motivation to dedicate a couple full days to start it up. Well, the stars have aligned and I am finally going to start the project.
Why the Huayra Roadster to start with, some may ask.....
The Huayra has never been a favorite of mine. I think the Zonda was a masterpiece in it's attention to detail and understated simplicity of its forms. The Huayra on the other hand, while retaining it's bespoke nature, dialed everything to 11, so to speak and became the epitome of excess in every possible way. At least in my eyes. So I never really cared for it's looks and therefore for a model of it. However, I appreciate and respect the car for what it is - an automotive piece of art (altho not one by my taste)and fully realized its importance in supercar history. So I decided to have a model, like many Lamborghinis in my collection, that would just represent the car, but not take away (that) much of my model budget, which I reserved primarily for Ferraris. That's how I end up with a white GT Autos Huayra. It is a nice model in very nice pearl white, with well done gold wheels and really nice red interior. Carbon fiber galore and all...But! Looking at the Autoart pictures posted by others, I kept asking myself if I should have paid the few extra bucks for the Autoart gem. And I kept thinking: "Nah. This is still a great model and the considerable difference in price absolutely justifies the difference in detail. It's a better value". After all, the GT Autos Huayra displays really , REALLY well in my cabinet, even with its doors open.
A couple of years passed and my family and I had a big move, following some really testing times. At our new place my kid said he heard of a big cars and coffee happening close to us. And we went. It was no joke and it still is amazing every first Saturday of the month. Veyrons, Chirons, LaFerraris, SVJs .......and a Huayra. The owner is a cool guy and usually comes with his wife and kids and they bring three cars. He opens them all up and lets people check them out and if you ask nicely even sit in them. As someone described it back then, getting in the Huayra is the closest a man can get to sitting in a fine Swiss watch. That experience sparked my interest in the car and actually reignited my model desires after a long brake. I decided to make a model of a Huayra and got to work. That took a lot of research, but having access to the real thing and running into it being serviced in the same dealership that services my E63 definitely helped a lot.
Here's an idea of what I started doing in 1:24 scale with a plastic kit
Countless hours, six different carbon fiber types of decal and several sheets of them later, I would say I had a pretty intimate knowledge of the inner working of a Huayra, its carbon fiber application and what it took to replicate it in scale.
And then the LCD review of their Roadster popped on here. The timing couldn't have been better, as I was in a full Huayra mood. So I decided to order one and fill the Roadster void in my collection. I looked at my GT Autos Huayra in my cabinet and yet again, I felt regret that I did not shell out the few extra bucks to get the better AutoArt model. And I did not want to feel like that again. So the pieces to the puzzle fell in place. There was a new to me player in the hobby that I wanted to give a try, there was the AutoArt debacle going on here, I could start my long planned project and if I could save few dollars in the process, why not!? So, I decided that I will order both AutoArt and LCD models and I will keep the better one and eventually get rid of the other. I am not going to have the argument about who got their LCD for what and when. All I am going to say is that I bought both models at the same time a year and a half ago and the price difference between them, when it was all said and done, end up about $20, give or take a couple bucks. I even asked on here the people who said they got their models for $150 delivered to help me find one at that price or even if someone was willing to sell me theirs. However the experience of getting the models was far more pleasant with the AutoArt. Altho overall experience and security of purchase is part of our hobby, it is not the main focus of this "Battle Royale". This is not about the price, but simply what you're getting from each model, when compared to each other. What one can get them for and if the price is right I will leave to everyone to decide on their own.
I got the Green Pearl Roadster from AutoArt. I thought long and hard about what color I want and it was tight between the green and the red. In my younger son's opinion, Rosso Dubai is the ultimate Pagani color, no matter what model it is on. From the Zonda, to the Huayra BC. However I went with the green, simply because I loved the color and because I have no model in anything like it. The LCD was a different story. I got it in white, simply because at the time I couldn't get it in any other color, no matter how much I tried. To be honest, I wanted the purple, but now I think the white was just fine.

The pearl white on the LCD really comes to life in the light and it is a nice metallic.

But the AutoArt pearl is just that much better.

And I don't mean the color. Colors are a personal preference. I am talking about quality of paint and the execution of its application. I read on here few comments about both brands color choices. Two things struck me as laughable. 1) That AA chose to "play it safe" 2)the fantasy colors debate.
First, AutoArt played it anything BUT safe. They chose a color that is much harder to execute than the LCD white metallic. And I am talking about all of them, not just the two colors presented here. Because LCD colors are plain metallics, which seem grainy, because of the poor preparation under them, while AA is using tri-coats with much finer pearl particles, over obviously way better prepped surface, which makes for the stunning silky smooth color with a nice "flip" in it.

Then comes the choice of the parts to which the colors are applied. I looked over countless photos of Huayra roadsters
and almost all of them had carbon on the rear hood.
LCD took the easy route and just painted the whole rear hood white:

Where AutoArt chose the considerably more complicated route of adding carbon fiber. And I have to say with absolute perfection. There is the wrong notion that this is decal application, which continues to be implied in reviews on here. It is not! This is tampo-printing at its very best. And in this case it is clear coated perfectly, where it has seamless transition to paint and matching shine, just like on the real car. This process is considerably more expensive than decals, both from investment and man-hour side.

Also the choice of where color or carbon is applied differs in the rear. Here LCD is again choosing the cost-cutting way out. Where the rear "bumper" is color matched to the body on the AA, LCD made it all in carbon. This is not inaccurate to the real car in either case, but this way LCD can make the entire chassis, diffuser, rear "bumper' and all, exactly the same for every model they make, no matter the body color. Where AA has to take the extra steps to match every chassis to the body color.

This also brings us to the whole "fantasy color" argument, which to me is a complete nonsense. These cars in real life are extremely limited production and are pretty much bespoke to the spec requested by their owners. On top of that, Pagani is absolutely unsurpassed in terms of customers constantly changing the specs of a car over and over again, every time a repair is needed or a car is sold. There are two Huayras local to me and in the last two years both have changed their appearances numerous times. Here's the deal tho. The colors AA are offering their models in are actual colors offered by Pagani, while LCD colors are generic metallics close to existing colors. As far as the models by BOTH companies, no cars in such specs exist. So using the color choices as advantage for either one of the two is just groundless. As pure quality of paint and application, the Autoart takes the cake hands down, which will become more and more obvious as we continue with the comparison.
Now, here is something I have really hard time explaining and pictures kinda fail to show. Both models are clearly the same scale and pretty much the same size.

Their parts seem to be same size, their wheels are the same and so is the gap between the tires and the fenders. Yet the LCD model definitely sits higher and seems somehow "bloated", for lack of better word. The AA model seems to have somewhat more elegant and elongated overall shape with sharper, more defined forms, where the LCD model kinda blends everything. This of course may be an effect created by the difference in colors, but the feeling remains.

Some people will try to talk about active suspension, depressing the model down to sit lower and one person even went as far as saying that the LCD suspention has two settings to allow two different ride heights. :rotfl: I call BS. The model has active suspension but it's springs simply can't push it all the way back once depressed, so it stays lower. No two settings. Which is a good time to mention the weight. The LCD model is definitely heavier. I ave never believed weight relates in any way to quality, as my 1:24 model is lighter than anything on this forum, but it would blow out of the water any Pagani model shown on here. But actually that same weight will take toll on all the components over time. Which is why for example, CMC provides the little plastic supports for their Bartoletti transporter.
Anyway, you take both models out of the box, or in my case out of the cabinet, where they have sitting under their own weight for over a year and this is the difference in ride you are going to see.

Then we started with the team, here at the MRM models headquarters to explore the virtues of magnificent execution of the lower...........Wait! No!
I decided to start the comparo from the outside and began at the rear as my attention was drawn to the use color on the rear bumper of the AutoArt vs the all carbon look on the LCD. Then I compared them to few examples of the real car online.
Here the ride height difference is immediately evident again. What is also evident are all the detail differences I started to notice. And the more I looked the more stuff popped out. And the devil's in the details, the saying goes. This could not be truer here. The simple angle under which the "Huayra Roadster" emblem is placed. Nicely angled on the AA vs horizontal on the LCD. Or the direction in which the weave of the carbon fiber surrounding the tail lights is angled, matching the real cars on the AA vs the somewhat awkward skyward angle on the LCD.

It is not just the added color to AA's rear bumper that creates a better three-dimensional feel. It is actually the way things are molded. If you follow the carbon surround of the rear grilles, where it dips under the exhaust tips, on the AutoArt model, it goes into the rear bumper, protruding just a touch over the edge, under the Pagani emblem and back up over the other side, which in a way "frames" the emblem and separates the grille area from the bumper bellow. The green bumper accentuates this, but it is there even if everything was carbon. Just like on the real car.

On the LCD model there is no such thing. You have a flat bumper, with the grille surrounds going straight up from it's edges and an emblem resting on it's edge. Also, I can not quite put my finger on it, whether it's the font or just the texture, but the AA emblem feels fine, where the LCD one is rather crude. A feeling which describes a lot of parts of the white model.

Little details like that seem at first insignificant, but subconsciously they make all the difference between a shape that feels elegant and one that is just so slightly missing the mark. Like a good meal that is not quite seasoned right.
Another detail like that are the little "humps" on top of the diffuser in the center of the rear bumper. Those little humps create ripples in the straight line of the diffuser, right on top of it's two fins. On the real car they are actually hiding the license plate lights.

Also, anyone who is familiar with design fundamentals, knows that little details like the grille surrounds creating a protrusion into the bumper and the ripples right bellow it, are used to brake up large surfaces to make them appear lighter. Well, they are present on the AutoArt model, while the bumper on the LCD model has flat lines both on top and bottom.

Speaking of bottoms, anyone who has ever criticized AutoArt for their molded carbon, should declare them the winner right here before even going any further. When you compare the diffusers, the first thing you notice is that AA actually has carbon on its fins and LCD doesn't. And that's just from afar.

Then you notice that the top of AA's diffuser is actually tampo-printed and clear coated carbon, where LCD is molded in the plastic. (It was not the intention of the pictures, but it is worth nothing the grain in the paint and the shutlines of the flaps)

The whole diffuser is a crude, half-assed plain plastic. And I am not saying this because I am "a LCD hater" or an "AA fanboy", but simply because this kind of Maisto BS has no place on a model that cost me well over $200 almost two years ago. And before someone goes "I only paid $150 for mine", this has no place even on a $100 model. Bburagos molded carbon is few levels above this.

This is what it looks like from underneath.

And this is what the Autoart looks like from underneath

And since we are looking underneath, I may as well move to the front. Both models are very similar in their approach. Photoetched grille and carbon with some nice fog lights.

The approach is the same, but the execution is anything but.
I will address the carbon itself a bit later, but there is more to the front to discuss. The Autoart model has perfect separation of carbon and paint. I am not sure, but it almost looks like the carbon pieces are separate parts from the rest of the painted bumper. Also the fog lights are nicely done with really nice curved front edge. Also note the dark grille, looking completely blacked out from behind, but most importantly look at how the carbon rolls under the front lip.

On the LCD model the separation of the carbon from the white paint is nothing short of sloppy, with a white gap, surrounded by black overspray. The fog lights again give that crude feeling and the carbon stops at the edge of the front lip. In another discussion about Maisto's Sian someone said "Great from afar, but far from great".

This is what the LCD looks like underneath. Not even attempted molded carbon.

Vs Autoart's tampo-printed and clear coated front spoiler

To complete the bottom portion, let's move to the sides and check out the signature Pagani carbon fiber lower portion of the car. The quality of the carbon itself is quite different between the two models and also the grainy texture of the paint under the clear coat is showing on the LCD model, where it is consistently smoother on the green model. But that's not what I'm addressing.
On the LCD model, there is a crease in the middle of the side intake, as it is made from two pices. And the carbon weave goes in one direction (correct one) on the outside and then in the opposite direction once on the inside over the edge, where it sinks into the gap between the two pieces and changes direction again on the upper piece. Also the print of the decal (if that's what they are using) is stopping short of the edge, creating a jagged effect.

On the Autoart model, there is no gap in the middle, as the intake is one piece. The carbon is consistently going in the same direction and wraps nicely over the edges like on the real thing. Little things that create a big difference.

Getting back on top, before we even open anything, let's take a look at the removable roof and the surrounding carbon.

The AutoArt's model has its roof attached by two tiny tabs on the rear side and two hidden magnets on the front. It fits absolutely perfect with ease, producing a very satisfying "CLICK!" when the magnets connect, pulling the front down. As you can see, the fit is as if the roof was not even a separate part and it stays this way even when the model is flipped upside down. (Nothing flimsy about this model, no matter it's weight or materials used, but I'll leave that discussion for a completely different review/comparison, coming soon)

Here the LCD model downright disappoints. The roof is held by a single magnet up front. Or at least that was their plan, because not only does not hold at all, but it doesn't even fit properly. If you align it at the front, the rear pops out.

If you mange to make the rear sit decent, the front goes up.

If you try to force it a little to kinda wedge it in place, it pushes the doors out.

All this is not quality control or my sample. It's just poorly executed design. And part of it is the fact that the side windows on the LCD model are at least twice as thick as the AA ones. Again, refined vs crude.

Now, some people will say "well I did not get a roadster to display it with the roof on", and then point out the "correct roof" on the LCD with the dots in it. Well, it would be a nice try, but a failing one nonetheless. Because the AutoArt piece is not inaccurate without the extra print. Something you can all see on this car for sale from Miller Motorcars.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's take a look at what all the roof panels on the real cars have or don't have. Carbon Fiber. Now is the time to compare the carbon itself, used throughout both models. Because this is one of the main things that are really difficult to relate through pictures on here. What makes real carbon fiber so cool to look at is the way it brakes light's reflection. It almost feels like it is moving, it's liquid like. And from most angles it just looks black, without direct light on it. This is very difficult to replicate in a decal/sticker/paint. And the thinner it is, the harder it is. What makes decals or tampo-prints look somewhat realistic is clear coat, which adds depth. This is why when you see a vinyl wrap carbon next to the real thing you can immediately tell it apart. Vinyl wraps have gone a long way and some come pretty close to replicating the real thing. The really thick ones. But perhaps you know what I am talking about, when I say first generation carbon wrap. It is the cheap vinyl decal that you can buy in a little roll from Walmart and most automotive stores (and even some gas stations). Well the LCD carbon next to the Autoart carbon looks like that vinyl decal next to the real thing. Mainly because it is much lighter in color and it's design lacks detail. I have to admit that the carbon on their McLaren is a huge improvement. But on their Roadster, it is at the level of my GT Autos Huayra. At best.

When I flip the roof panels over, what I see is layered carbon fiber and details replicating the releases from the real roof on the AutoArt piece, with no visible magnets and the rear tabs protruding. In contrast, on the LCD piece, there is no carbon and just some generic plastic piece. Well, there is the huge shiny silver magnet, which seems to be absolutely useless, other than being an eye sore.

Little tiny differences in how things fit and are executed keep popping up. Like for example how the front hood flows into the door.

Or what you see when you look under the front flaps from above the model.
This is what you see on the AutoArt model:

And on the LCD:

I don't know about anyone else, but little things like that just make me feel certain way. So what do we see under the flaps? What makes you feel better when you lift them? This:

or that?:

Yes, the rear flaps on the LCD open a lot easier and a lot more than the AutoArt ones, which I did not dare force past this point.

But considering what it looks like underneath, I don't think I care much. Not to mention the gaps, when they are closed.

In those pictures we catch a glimpse of the wipers and their beautiful carbon clad covers. Devil's in the details we already established. And finesse is a word coming to mind when I see how that cover blends in the green hood.

And sticks out above the white one. That difference in real life would be a 3cm part sticking out from your hood.

But what about the wiper itself? Well, again, we have a more "polished" item on the AutoArt model vs a more "crude" one on the LCD. These are very minute differences, which however create a different feel of quality.

I could just leave these pictures alone and let something like tiny windshield wiper detail not being a big deal. And some people would love me to do this. But let's take a look at a different angle.
The one where you can see the more finished look of the AutoArt wiper blade and most importantly how flush it sits against the windshield. The curve of the blade perfectly matching the curve of the glass. As if real rubber is pressed against it.

Now let's compare the LCD wiper, which not only is a crude unfinished plastic, but it's end sticks out 2 to 3 mm off the glass. I just took a moment to go look at some Maistos I have out and none of them have this issue. To compare apples to apples, my GT Autos Huayra has a better looking and fitting wiper.

While we are in the area, let's take a look at some other tiny little things.

Like vents and openings and ....stuff. Like what you see when you look t the vents in the front fenders.
At first this picture of the LCD model shows the black overspray that seeped through the vent, presumably when they sprayed the underside black. But what it really shows is the quality of that white metallic paint. This is not orange peel in the clear coat. This is how grainy and uneven the application of the paint is. What causes this with metallics is the preparation of the surface beneath the paint. Basically if you don't sand the primer under the paint perfectly smooth, the metallic color amplifies all the imperfections. You can polish the clear coat on top all you want and have it be the smoothest surface on the planet, but that grainy effect will always be there.

One look at the vent itself and I can tell you the root of all this problems. No man-hours invested in properly cleaning up and finishing the body panels.

How did AutoArt do in the same area? You tell me...

Here is the comparison of body panel gaps. Side by side, at the same time, under the same light, from the same angle in the same frame.

And then comes one of LCD's strongest attributes. The wheels. At least I thought so, before I actually took a closer look at my pictures. It's amazing what they reveal sometimes. I have to admit that I like the finish of the LCD wheels better. That is if we look at each wheel by itself as a stand alone object. I need to figure out how to take these wheels off and maybe team up with someone with the same model and swap pairs. Because I love the silver and gold. Or the shiny almost chrome looking silver ones. But I would love them to be the same on both sides and to get rid of the silly colored tire markings. As far as the surface finish LCD has a definite advantage, which by no means makes the AA wheels wrong. Again, like colors, these finishes are about personal preferences. After all, Michael Schumacher actually had chrome plated wheels on his Enzo from the factory. LCD also has the upper hand with including some really nice air valves. And then they threw those advantages away with the identical silly color combo on all their models, but more so with the off center centercap emblems and the center bolt, which is just a blob of plastic, missing the fine machined ridges, which actually are used on the real car to unscrew it.

The Autoart wheels are a lot more plain looking, which may be to some people's liking. They are missing the air valves, which is not going to be to anyone's liking. ;) But they are missing the silly color markings on the tires, they match all the way around and their center bolts have definitely a better defined detail. Again, the mold itself is the better part on the Autoart. LCD just put more lipstick on theirs. Not to mention that Autoarts tires are a faithful representation of the Pirellis on the real car, while LCD's tire tread is a poor half assed attempt.

Time to take the covers off and take a look under the "skins".

Before we dive underneath the hoods and take a look around the interior, let's see some other details that are part of what tingles every car enthusiast or detail oriented person in general. I have always been a firm believer that a nice pencil skirt two inches above the knee with barely revealing cut in the back is way sexier than the same body in just underwear. Because it is suggestive. Same goes for details in cars, architecture or anything else. But only when executed properly. Like for example the carbon "framing" the window over the engine intake, with just the V12 badge and the AMG emblems shining from underneath, right bellow the edge of the glass, hiding the rest. Just like the proverbial skirt showing few inches of beautiful thighs, leaving what follows further up to the imagination.

That little emotion, which makes us look at our models for hours, is provoked by the AutoArt model, just like on the real car.

The LCD however, pulls that skirt half way to the middle of the knee cap and suggests cellulite with a huge gap at the front of the glass and a wide black line on the window, leaving only the bottom half of the "12" and half the AMG emblems visible. Considering the outside dimensions are close to identical on both models, things like that suggest the something is not quite right under the skin, proportion wise.

Ready to open her up? Right before I do that, something catches my eye. The window sitting against the body

I take a look at the white car and I see carbon glowing through the window, which at first strikes me as unrealistic, because even Paganis have rubber seals, but I dismiss it, because it suggests a see of carbon coming my way.

I open the AutoArt model and I am greeted by a lot of carbon surrounding the realistic looking "rubber" seal.

And here is where I start scratching my head.
I open the AutoArt door and I see this:

Then I open the LCD door and I see this:

I turn the models the other way and take another look at the AutoArt's interior and see nice tampo-printed clear coated and shiny carbon over some really nicely shaped forms that look like a pretty good representation of the real thing. Not only in finish, but as geometrical shapes too.

And then I look at the white car next to it, where I see this:

I remember the loud accolades given to the LCD model on this forum, claiming it to be the better value and take a second look. "I must be looking at the wrong thing"- goes through my mind, but I am greeted by plain black paint on the metal portion of the door sill, countered on the inside by crude, dull, unfinished plastic in a squared off piece of lumber kind shape, with huge mold lines intercepting the poorly molded carbon fibers. The shiny white paint on the seats is glossier than the carbon next to them. :o That is some straight up Maisto crap from 25 years ago. :shock: On a $200 model. And please don't compare it with AA's molded carbon, because it is not even closely resembling it. Not to mention that the whole thing is the wrong shape.

I really want to like this model by LCD. I really want to be unbiased and I really want to feel good about spending $260 on it. Because I don't want to feel like a fool. Or that I made the same mistake, I made when I purchased the GT Autos Huayra instead of the AutoArt's. So I move to the center console and the dash, where this model is supposed to be so much better. I want it to redeem itself.
I try to look past all the shiny carbon around the better proportionate seats in the AutoArt model.

I ignore that in the AutoArt model the seats are positioned more realistically and have a finish that looks a lot closer to a soft leather than the latex feel of the seats in the white car.

Before I move further, I go back again and check the details on the real car. The controls on the steering wheel, the center console, the shifter and my attention is caught by the silver knobs in the middle of the seats. their detail and the silver rings underneath them and the size of the carbon cups they are sitting in.

The AutoArt seats are more proportionate, with proper sized cups and the silver rings under the knobs is a nice touch.

In the LCD seats, the cups are visibly larger, filled with silver knobs and no extra detail.

Right ahead in the picture sits the steering wheel. I quickly check out the real thing. All of the ones I saw have the emblem embossed in their center. On some picture it is barely visible and on others it is very prominent, but they all have it. Interestingly enough, I found out that the buttons on the steering wheel of some cars are black, while others are aluminum like the surround. Some cars have their gauges same aluminum, while some have an expensive titanium option, which gives a darker metallic finish and none of them have black faces. But all steering wheels have the propeller looking toggle switches on its side, flanked by two buttons.

Then I check my models. The AutoArt's steering wheel has all the correct shapes propeller looking toggles and buttons, with everything in silver. The red ride control dial is definitely a miss, but it's only paint. The white color separation is not perfect, neither where it meets the carbon, not in the center, but the emblem is a nice touch. Behind the silver parts of the steering wheel, there is carbon molded plastic. Not ideal in execution, but true to the original.

Then I look at the LCD's steering wheel. First thiing I notice is that the grey has a nice sharp separation from the carbon and the center of the steering has a nice crisp line making the leather part like a separate piece. No emblem tho. No big deal. The buttons are picked in black and the ride control knob has some red paint on it. It looks like a sloppy effort and I would have preferred if they left them silver. What is puzzling is that they made the generic shape of the steering wheel, but the propeller looking toggle switches on each side of the airbag are missing. And behind the silver surround it is painted grey, where no real Pagani has leather.

This makes me think, that altho I should not have to paint or correct stuff on $200++ models, I can still easily touch up the steering wheel on the AA with a marker, while I can not add the missing detail on the LCD. Speaking of which, the nicely contrasting mats in the green car that are color matched to the seats, show a detail, that the all plastic black tub of the LCD is hiding. Actually the carbon fiber pod on the center tunnel under the dash (which houses a lighter or USB port) is present on the AutoArt and completely missing on the LCD.

However, the LCD model's center console between the seats is better. Or is it?. Well, it looks better, because it has more lipstick. Basically it is same story as the wheels. It has some color detailing and nicer carbon and those two silver window switches darn it!

Right in front of it is AutoArt's brain fart in this model. The center console in the dash. The toggle switches under the screen are just plain wrong. Both in number and in shape. I don't know what the reason is for this AutoArt blunder and frankly I don't care.

It is beyond any question that LCD executed that little detail better, altho they in turn made the same boo-boo on the steering wheel by completely missing the propeller looking toggles.

I would say that does not quite even the score on the controls representation and would give LCD a slight advantage. But now that I have focussed on that part of the interior, there is a bigger picture. The way the whole dash is executed. The pockets on each end of it, look like they are drooping out on the LCD, while they look properly angled on the AA. Both models suffer from paint bleeding into the surrounding carbon and both model's carbon itself leaves plenty to be desired. However the LCD model suffers from some issues that no paint or decals would help. That whole center console, like so many details throughout the car is shaped in the signature Pagani oval. (I like to call it the surf board :) ) In the LCD model it is not symmetrical top to bottom. Under the window, on top of the dash it is narrow and elongated, while when it bends over the dash it becomes more round and wide at its tip. This is not true to the original. AutoArt in return has nailed the shape. This created some issues that LCD tried to mask by making the center vents bases more elongated, which in my opinion has backfired and creates this feel of wrong proportions. I looked at both models countless times in the past and could never quite put my finger on it.

Until I looked at the pictures of the two models side by side. The Autoart dash also has the little indentations detail inside that oval, which are missing from the LCD. Also, the AutoArt has all the oval vent holes under the windshield, on the perimeter of the dash, where they are absent on the LCD. It is again little details that make a big difference. Yes, they screwed up the toggle switches, but over all they did a lot better job with the dash as a whole.

Also I still believe that the "shifter" and the mechanism bellow it are better sculpted on the AutoArt. Their parts are just that little bit more refined, where it makes them look beautifully fragile, while LCD's parts look like they are not quite finished to the same level of detail. Which brings us to the doors, where I know some people are waiting to point out those little red levers.

AutoArt has opted for molded carbon on the doors, but manages to make it look believable. What is more important is that they are the correct shape. The pockets under the pulls are like on every Huayra Roadster I managed to find pictures of and altho there is a single color like on the seats, the stitched-in detail separating that leather panel is there (I struggled trying to capture it and I kept failing). What is impressive is how the speakers and their surrounds are fitted on top. Seamlessly, creating the illusion that they are screwed on top of the leather panel, like on the real car. It is the little things here again, where through that half oval you can see the leather behind it, framed by the perforated piece.

Putting aside the bulletproof thickness of the LCD windows and the lack of carbon in their sills, the white car's doors are just wrong. I could not find a single roadster with that shape of map pockets on its doors. LCD has included the red levers on top of the door pulls, which AutoArt for some reason has omitted. On the LCD model also the metal plates behind the pulls are painted silver, where AutoArts are just black. This is just lipstick again, as there are plenty of Spiders out there with those parts specced in black. What bugs me here, besides the glass , which is thicker than the door skin, is the way the speakers sit in the doors. They are clearly pushed from behind in obvious cutouts in the door panels, which leaves big gaps around them. I could live with the wrong shape and the extra long wrinkled pockets, but these gaps create a toy feel all too familiar from the Bburago interiors from the '80s, when I first started collecting models. Again, even Maisto don't do that anymore! It even makes no difference at this point that they added the Pagani script on the speakers (way oversized, I prefer it missing) but let the oval solid silver and not perforated. They could have at least try to paint inside of it.

This is the longest and most detailed review/comparison I have ever done in my life. And we are just getting to open the hoods. But before that, check out the little detail on the AutoArt door. They sure missed the red levers inside, but they added the cool levers visible from outside, which LCD are missing. And look at how smooth that green pearl is under the clear coat.

OK, let's pop the front!
Both models have the same basic components under the front hood. I am not sure which is the upper or lower lid, is it called a bonnet, a frunk, trunk, punk....which is the lower, middle or upper mouth or how intense these parts are. So I am going to call things with their real names and keep it stupid simple. There is no sugar coating it. The LCD model feels like a cheap toy under the front hood and AutoArt barely saves face.

Autoart's hood is all carbon on the underside like the real deal. and expectedly it is molded carbon. It actually does not look bad at all.

Under it's lights it has some shapes similar to the access panels on the real thing. Under the corners where the straps are, the AutoArt has some metal pins and magnets that are painted black to blend in. Surprisingly to me, this is not far from the real thing. There is no carbon in the wheel wells, as on the real car.

When I lift the LCD front hood there is no detail at all. Cheap unfinished plastic with poorly printed carbon only in the areas where the real car does not actually have it. No panel detail and under the corners with the straps is a mess of stubs from the parts on top and glue. There are magnets like on the AA, but they are just as useless and ugly as on the roof panel.

Both models have pretty similar hinge mechanisms that are quite nice, but the picture underneath actually goes even worse, especially for LCD. Remember this little piece from my plastic model?

This is what it should all look like when assembled.

And AutoArt comes close, altho I am not a big fan of the molded carbon in this particular case.

LCD however totally steals the show with even worse looking plastic and some generic shapes barely resembling what's actually under there.

AutoArt put a little bit of effort here where you can see the suspension, nicely detailed shocks and the multi-piece suspension arms and the bolts going trough them. They even added some photo etched grilles and attempted some detail in front of the wheels.

LCD however decided to just ignore completely this area and just fill in the space in front of the wheels with ungly flat plastic, while apparently they decided to not even botter with the space between the front wheels.

It is extremely difficult to capture with a camera, but if you shine a light through AutoArts front grille, you are going to find a silver radiator in the middle leaning forward like on the real car, flanked by two coolers on each side, which are also silver and with nicely detailed faces. unfortunately I could not capture this detail no matter how much I tried.

On the LCD model, behind each foglight, behind the grille, there are just some vertical plain silver pieces of plastic. What is worst is that not only they have no detail or resemble anything, but they form a 90 degree angle which creates a silver panel that comes all the way to the grille. These smooth silver walls "glow" from behind and actually attract attention. When you try to satisfy your curiosity about what else is behind the grille and shine a light, you see....well...nothing! Just the same pile of plastic that you see through the sides with hood open - basically nothing but plastic stubs, that screws go into. Very disappointing. And that carbon that stops at the edge of the spoiler, just adds some salt to that wound.

If we move away from under the front hood it does not get much better for the LCD model. With the hood and doors open, this is what you you see on the LCD Roadster. A block with some poor carbon, a big silver magnet, random grey paint, black paint and some of the worst molded plastic carbon ever.

In comparison on the AutoArt you find complicated shape, much closer to the real thing, completely covered in nice clear coated tampo-printed carbon and blacked out magnet, with nice indentations where the leather belts lay on the real car. Details, details, details........

Anywhere around the front you look to examine how the panels are finished or how thin they are or how detailed, you see this:

VS this:

And this:

Someething I can not even catch in a picture is the satisfying "click" when the AutoArt magnets pull together. Something absent anywhere on the LCD model.

And it does not end at the front. When we pop the rear hood with the doors open, the hits keep coming.
AutoArt greets us with a lot more carbon over some pretty complicated shapes that look pretty authentic. And it is all clear coated tampo-printing.

LCD replies with some generic blocky shapes that seem like carved out of granite and sprayed flat black.

Where AutoArt shows an intricate monocock covered in carbon with storage pods clad in matching flawless carbonio with nice straps on them and black hinges (my flash makes them seem silver)...

LCD presents the "Multi-cock" with some great physical gaps. Not only in Carbon which just stops, followed by generic boxes with no detail what-so-ever.

Moving on, AutoArt offers us molded carbon air filter boxes with photoetched grilles in them and actual air filters, backed by silver plates that turn into pipes going to the turbos. Don't even look at the nice oil reservoir and it's cap with proper markings...

The LCD has the same boxes, but in much more unrefined shape with photo etched grilles too Escept that what you see on the picture is the engine pipe behind it shining through. Yep - there is nothing that backs the opening and you can see right through it. Like the back sides are completely missing. Oil reservoir?! I don't know what you are talking about....

Speaking of oil reservoirs, one of the very few pipes/wires that a re actually visible on the real Huayra's engine, are exactly the pipes for the oil plumbing. They are visible even with the whole car closed up and they sure are there on the AutoArt engine.

I am wondering if they are missing on the LCD model because there is no oil reservoir or the oil reservoir is missing because there are no pipes to go to it.

This is what you see when you look in crevices on each side of the AutoArt engine:

And the same spot from the same angle on the LCD:

On the right side, there is more of the same.
AutoArt:

LCD:

In case anyone was curious about. AutoArts pods are carbon from all sides;

While LCD's have carbon only on the front. But they got silver hinges... ;)

I am not even going to comment the next two pictures, as to what looks better and more realistic.
AutoArt:

LCD:

Do you like those pictures? Nice and dark with not much light under there? Because I am about to shine some light under there and I am going to comment.
That gorgeous picture of the shiny carbon with the black mesh behind the cutouts, mmm...

It is black and nice on the inside too. And the whole hood has more carbon underneath than on top. Oh...and pay close attention to the the glass. How thin it is and how it is attached. How is it attached? Well, I don't know, but it looks good.

I guess that LCD's logic was that if they did not put carbon on top of the hood there would be no need to put it under either. I can understand that maybe, but I wonder what is the excuse for the mess the mesh installation is or for the bulletproof thickness on the glass, which straight out of Maisto's parts bin, attachment and all.

Not cool on a model costing that much and actually absolutely embarrassing trying to compare with the AutoArt. But that's just my personal opinion, of course. Because some might find it a great value. FAR BETTER than AutoArt actually. To each their own. After all I had a really good friend (in Europe from all places) who once told me that if a woman is under 200kg, she's not a real woman...

Shining some more light under there, AutoArt not only reproduced the various shapes fatefully, but a large portion of the carbon under the rear hood is actually clear coated tampo-printed carbon. Now that is impressive even at $300.

LCD, decided to bet on consistency and made the underside of their rear hood just as poor as their front one. No carbon and some generic shapes from ugly plastic with giant mold lines.

At this point I think you can guess what is lurking in the darker corners even without showing you, but I'll go the extra mile.
Some nice detail on the surfaces behind the rear wheels on the AutoArt.

LCD true to form:
Consistency is important after all.
When the rear hood is open on the AA model, the carbon from the grille surrounds continues under the hood, like on the real ca because the entire surrounds are made out of carbon.

LCD decided that only what is visible when the model is closed deserves carbon treatment. Much like with the door sills.

This is by far the most comprehensive comparison I have ever done. It took me the entire day today to create it. The main reason for all the time and effort I invested in it, is because I don't want anyone to find themselves in my position. Buying a model they regret spending the money on instead of something else. I hope it can be useful to anyone contemplating getting either model.
In my case the price difference between the two models was less than what I spend on lunch at work. But even even if the LCD model was $150, I would still chose the AutoArt over it. And LCD can change the colors, add more decals or even offer proper interior and wheel colors. But I promise you, they are not going to reengineer the entire model and make new molds for half the parts. You can put all the lipstick on this pig you want, but at the end of the day it will still smell the same. That is my personal view on the subject and I am not asking anyone to share it. After all we can all say what we will on here, but when you look at yourself in the mirror, the only person you can bullshit what is what is yourself. Which is why I don't like to sugarcoat things.
More Bugattis, Lambos, Konigseggs, Ferrais, Bburagos, BBRs, Maistos, AutoArts, Mattel's and even few Paganis still to come.
Last edited by Lucky13 on Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin

Re: REVIEW: LCD vs Autoart - The Huayra Roadster Match

Post by Gavin » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:44 am

Extremely detailed review....I can see why that took you an entire day.

A local family collection has 2 Huayras, a BC Coupe & Roadster. Not necessarily the way I'd spend around $9M, but they are absolute works of art.

Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:17 pm

Gavin wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:44 am
Extremely detailed review....I can see why that took you an entire day.

A local family collection has 2 Huayras, a BC Coupe & Roadster. Not necessarily the way I'd spend around $9M, but they are absolute works of art.
That's a lot of money for two cars, but as we were saying before it's all relative.
The guy local to me has A McLaren P1, Senna, S720, Ford GT90 (or whatever the first one was called), the new Ford GT, Carrera GT, F40, Veyron, The Huayra, the new SF90, 599 GTO and an Urus. I am pretty sure I am missing a few other Porsches and Ferraris (I'mm 99% sure he has a Pista). He tries to have sort of a theme, so most his cars are yellow and carbon. His Huayra however is mostly bare carbon and red. It has been modified (by PAGANI) three times in the last two years. It has a weird BC type wing (but not the same) and now has a roof scoop/periscope thingy. To be honest i is quite kitschy. But it draws crazy crowds around it every time.
And about the review/comparison, it had to be done this way, because there is no other way to show the true differences between the two models. I still don't feel like the pictures fully cover how different the two models feel. Some thing can not be taken pictures of. Like for example how freely the doors move on the AutoArt and how when they are almost closed, the magnets "grab them" and shut them with a nice audible "CLICK". On the LCD they feel like there is too much friction and you have to actually push on them against a spungy feel to keep them aligned and closed. If you just push down on the rear hoods, the Autoart goes down in a smooth sweeping motion, where the rear edge kinda rotates down and towards the rear. And then the hood just "clicks". While on the LCD, altho the motion is similar, it is kinda choppy and every single time the wheel wells on the hood, catch on top of the side pods, so you have to now actually push the whole hood backwards before you can lower it. Just little things like that. The best way to describe the feel between the two is that AA feels like a very nicely engineered piece which operates with precision and the LCD is a good knockoff, lacking the precision and finesse of the original. As I said before, there is a lot more to these two models than just the sum of their parts.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:59 pm

That’s an incredibly detailed review and very interesting comparison you did !!! I am the author of the original LCD Huayra roadster review published in here and I am glad to see you took it over and beyond in term of analysis. The AUTOart roadster wasn’t available back at the time but I was always curious how it would compare. I agree with all what you showed and explained here. It was always clear for me that LCD was a new manufacturer and their first Huayra roadster wasn’t a perfectly polished model. Not yet something an experienced manufacturer like AUTOart would be capable of producing at least when then put the effort on it. Thanks for this review I know there was a lot of work put into it. The conclusions are truly enlightening.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 pm

Holy moly, most detailed review ever. If I was in the market for one of these, I'd definitely go for the Autoart

Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:48 pm

Atalante wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:59 pm
That’s an incredibly detailed review and very interesting comparison you did !!! I am the author of the original LCD Huayra roadster review published in here and I am glad to see you took it over and beyond in term of analysis. The AUTOart roadster wasn’t available back at the time but I was always curious how it would compare. I agree with all what you showed and explained here. It was always clear for me that LCD was a new manufacturer and their first Huayra roadster wasn’t a perfectly polished model. Not yet something an experienced manufacturer like AUTOart would be capable of producing at least when then put the effort on it. Thanks for this review I know there was a lot of work put into it. The conclusions are truly enlightening.
Thank you for the kind words. I always thought your innicial review of the LCD model was the most unbiased review of that model on here. The only thing it was missing was another model next to it as a measuring stick, to compare the two. I have no idea who "The Team" is comprised of or how exactly the reviews are done, but I have a feeling sometimes that one person owns the model, another one takes the pictures and a third one writes the review, without actually holding the model in front of them. I am not saying this is the case, but sometimes it sure feels this way. Which is the reason I felt there was a need for this type of detailed true side by side comparison to be done. If someone had done it on here or on any other forum, I sure as hell would not have purchased the LCD model. Not at $200, not at $150 and probably not at $100. A fair comparison would be between this model and the GT Auto Huayra, as they are about the same level.
I have some more surprises in my bag and here are but three that are coming.
"The Tour De France Race"
"Chiron's First Name"
"Battle for Sweden"
A Zonda feature is also in the works.
Stay tuned.

Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:50 pm

StratosWRC wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 pm
Holy moly, most detailed review ever. If I was in the market for one of these, I'd definitely go for the Autoart
Thank you.
AutoArt is an absolute winner between the two. Anyone holding the two models side by side can immediately see that. Of course some people live in denial. I understand. I don't feel particularly smart for shelling the money for the LCD either.

Return to “Model Reviews”