REVIEW: 1/18 Norev Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 Coupe

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
SPhilli911

REVIEW: 1/18 Norev Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 Coupe

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:41 pm

Just want to put a disclaimer message: This is my first review ever, please understand that I am an amateur collector who is not the best writer or photographer ever. Doing this for fun and to share pictures and my own thoughts best I can.

This is the 1/18 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 from Norev, a very good attempt at a fully opening 964 if you missed out on the Autoart Carrera RS version. Norev realsed this model in Carrera 2 and Carrera 4 varients, each model also getting a Cabriolet and Targa trim in various colors. I have honestly been looking forward to this for a while, so I took my Autoart 964 out to compare, the AA model being my personal favorite model in my collection.

The Carrera 4 has a marque plate front and rear with the model name, same as the Autoart, giving it a nice quality look. This is something I wish all brands would do if they chose to put a plate on the model, because I feel that plates that mimics a real license plate aren't as good looking to display. Unfortunately, and I know this might sound ridiculous, but I could not open the front hood of the Norev model... I tried every conceivable method, so my apologies, but I have no picture of it open. Also, the AA has that silly looking giant badge on the front, like the 993 Carrera they did.

The interior has flocking to mimic carpets and trim rather than using plastics to do so, which gives it a high quality look. Even the bottom section of the door in the interior has the flocking, which is accurate to the real car.

The taillight bar on the Norev seems a little more accurate to me compared to the AA, with the ends of the Autoart version being too orange. The "Carrera 4" decal is not great on the Norev, it's hard to read, and not just because it's against the dark paint of the car, but the text itself is almost illegible.

The engine bay even has the warning stickers/labels, a nice but often overlooked detail on models. The engine is nicely presented, with different colors used rather than a big slab of black plastic. There does appear to be a mistake on the Norev, however. The part of the chassis in the interior of the engine bay directly above the taillight bar is painted black, where it should be body color.

I know these aren't technically the same cars, but the Autoart has the retractable rear spoiler which does not open on the Norev, a feature that should be on all 964s regardless of trim level. I'm sure Norev determined that was not worth the effort/cost to implement and I don't think it's a big issue either. Even the AA's is flimsy and can easily be damaged if not careful. Another detail on the Autoart which is absent on the Norev is the orange window defrost lines in the rear window. Suppose it's possible the real cars didn't all have them, but I see no evidence of that.

While the Autoart is still the king of the 964 Carrera, this Norev version is absolutely killer quality for the price. I really couldn't be happier that some brands out there are still willing to make a great opening models and not charge a small fortune, especially when you consider Norev themselves had recently released some poor quality sealed models. After this model I hope that Norev takes on the base model 993 Carrera, because I think the Autoart one is great and all, but now too expensive to obtain. Awesome job Norev!

Thank you for taking a look, feel free to leave feedback/ suggestions or ask questions and so forth. Not sure how often I'd be doing reviews, but maybe another model will come around that I feel is worth doing.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: REVIEW: 1/18 Norev Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 Coupe

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:48 pm

Lovely effort sir, and thank you for sharing! Nice to see how good the Norev is, especially next to the AUTOart.

Question, do you have a WordPress account with us already? This review is going on the main page if you don't mind.

PS - I moved the REVIEW to the appropriate forum :)

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:19 am

Thank you for moving it, I figured it wasn't an "official" review so I didn't put it here initially. I do not have a WordPress account, but I don't mind if this goes on the main page.

I should have taken more pictures, especially detail shots, though.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:17 am

Thanks so much for the review...looks very well done to me. Maybe not AA Millenium levels, but close. Very excited to get one.

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:45 am

You're welcome, let me know how you feel about the model when yours arrives (if you want to).

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:45 am

SPhilli911 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:19 am
Thank you for moving it, I figured it wasn't an "official" review so I didn't put it here initially. I do not have a WordPress account, but I don't mind if this goes on the main page.

I should have taken more pictures, especially detail shots, though.
PM me on the full name you want linked to review, the team will action the rest.

Return to “Model Reviews”