REVIEW: Car.tima 1/18 Porsche 911 S/T Specification

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
SPhilli911

REVIEW: Car.tima 1/18 Porsche 911 S/T Specification

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:05 am

This is a 1/18 scale Porsche 911 S/T “Specification “ in Viper Green. It's from a brand called Cartima, a German scale model retailer which had this model made exclusively, though the box has no mention of an actual manufacturer. The model is, of course, sealed resin and includes a nice display case, a base with matching green stitching and each model is individually numbered out of 100 pieces.

The display case is very nice, similar to Sparks. Have to wonder if including a display case is a way to justify a higher price point for sealed models?

The packaging is simple but looks great with a giant 911 logo with a cleverly designed “S/T” integrated into it:

A closeup of the plaque with model name and number:

Here are some various shots and just to note, I did not want to remove it from the base just yet as the screws are under the felt of the base and I didn't want to deal with that.
The model proportions and curves look accurate and the door shut-lines typical of resin models, that is I'd like them if they were painted black to be more pronounced, but that's fixable if I wanted to attempt it. The paint is top notch, no defects I can see at all. The windows are nice, but suffering from your typical resin model issue in that they are popping out slightly in some spots, but that can be remedied. The windows are also multilayered with a separate “chrome” trim piece around them rather than just painted on, this is a nice detail that gives it a more realistic look as opposed to just having a single slap of plastic for the windows.

The side profile showcases that classic 911 silhouette. There is an unusual bulge sticking out of the sideskirts on both sides, don't know if this is intentional or what but it is a little distracting once you see it!

The tires are nicely detailed with Pirelli Cinturato P7 branding and even a tire size as well. I can't say for sure these are period correct tires, but I believe they are popular for use on classic 911s today as you can still buy these and they are available in the super wide size needed on the S/T and RSR models.

The interior looks great overall (pardon the internet pictures, I was having a hell of a time trying to get photos of my own that captured the details) and the plastic parts such as the dash and steering wheel are textured rather than smooth plastic like you see in many resin models. I can't tell if the floormats/carpets are flocked or just textured plastic, but either way it looks good for something hard to even see in a sealed model.

The seats are Recaro branded with nice stripe pattern inserts and have fabric material seat-belts which attach to a harness bar in the rear.

Overall, I really like this model, better than many Spark 911s I would say, which cost about the same or more. Of course we all want opening diecast models, but for a sealed model this one is highly detailed and appears to have been produced with more care than many other brands I have seen. This is the first attempt at a 911 S/T that I am aware of in 1/18 scale... well, not exactly. Things get interesting when you start to look closely.

This model does not appear to replicate a genuine 1970-71 911 S/T despite it being called that. However, I believe that is why the model is called “Specification”, referring to a custom 911 inspired by the S/T or built to S/T spec. It is very close, to be fair, but not enough to say Cartima was attempting to make an S/T in the first place. It's possible that Cartima's goal was to create a custom model made exclusively for them, to celebrate their own brand, and for that they would have succeeded in making an interesting, unique model.

So how is this not an S/T?

Firstly, the color is Viper Green (it says so on the base so we can't pretend it's not), a color not offered in 1971, Viper was introduced in 1973 with the Carrera RS. The true period color should have been Conda Green, very similar to Viper but slightly darker and very slightly more yellow. Here is a picture of a genuine 1971 911 S/T (chassis # 9111301251), built by Porsche and painted in Conda Green next to the Viper Green model. Course we have to note difference in lighting, these pictures aren't going to represent the color difference accurately.

It's very similar to the scale model at a glance, even has the Fuchs wheels all around which was not common on the real cars, given that Fuchs weren't wide enough for the tires at the time most S/Ts were built. The real cars were more or less “parts bin” cars with varying parts being used across the cars, such as the side mirror, so I can't say the model is not accurate there as there are real cars with rectangular mirrors as well as round. The model's wheels also seem a little large compared to original even though the tires on the model say 15”.

The front bumper is not correct, some vent cutouts are missing and the shape is wrong especially at the bottom end. Also, incorrect placement of hood-straps:

The rear “Porsche” decal mimics the later '73 Carrera RS, which it shouldn't. Here is the model next to the real car. Other than that and some additional engine cover latches on the model, the rear looks okay to me:

Here is a side by side of the seats. Both Recaro but otherwise almost entirely different seats.... in fact I have never seen these Recaro seats from the model before, let alone in a 911. I looked all over to see what these seats are and found nothing matching, so maybe the stuck a Recaro sticker on generic seats?

Otherwise the interior looks okay as I mentioned earlier, with nice detail and textures. The steering wheel looks like it's from a Porsche 914/6 but I did find a real S/T with the same wheel. Again, the real cars were all over the place with parts usage so you'll see many different parts on the real cars.

Just for the sake of argument there are real world S/T replicas in Viper Green that match the model more closely, one was owned by auto journalist Chris Harris (chassis #9111121479). Notice the rear “Porsche” decal, it matches the model rather than the real car.

Here is another 911 S/T replica car based on a 1972 911 T painted in Viper Green. What's interesting is that this appears to be a very faithful re-creation of a genuine S/T except for the color. Suppose that is nit-picking because the two colors are so similar that not even the biggest Porsche fanatic on the planet will be able to tell you which is which just by looking at it. I know I am hung up on the color, but Cartima could have just called the model Conda Green on the base, a period correct color, and I would not even be talking about it. :lol:

So, I think it is safe to say the model is meant to be a custom 911 with an S/T look to it. Is this all just me overthinking it? Yes, probably. My first reaction was that I would not be okay with a “fake” 911 in my collection, but the more I look at it the more I like it, in fact I'd go so far to say it's one of my favorite sealed models in my collection. You really can't go wrong with a classic 911 and it's a great quality display piece with more detail than a lot of other sealed models I have seen.

Still, it is a head-scratcher model since I think seeing a genuine S/T would have been better for Porsche collectors and it's a little strange that Cartima made this rather than try to replicate an S/T accurately. This model was probably intended for German collectors familiar with the Cartima brand but I still appreciate a cool 911 when I see one and clearly a lot of care and effort went into this model. It's a nice oddity in my collection!

Gavin

Re: REVIEW: Car.tima 1/18 Porsche 911 S/T Specification

Post by Gavin » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:06 pm

Thanks for the time & effort to put this together. Looks like a fantastic model, with some nice details...no matter what its actually called. It is strange that nobody has done the S/T up to now.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:59 am

That is great review, thank you! Tempted to buy one!

Do you have WordPress account with us? I'd love to publish this review on the main website.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:02 am

Let me add, I moved you to Elite Member due to your on-going contributions to the forums. Thank you!

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:34 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:02 am
Let me add, I moved you to Elite Member due to your on-going contributions to the forums. Thank you!
:clap:

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:52 pm

Thank you, I was wondering why my name turned yellow! :lol:

I think I have a WordPress account? I believe so, I'll check it out.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:43 pm

SPhilli911 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:52 pm
Thank you, I was wondering why my name turned yellow! :lol:

I think I have a WordPress account? I believe so, I'll check it out.
Please post the WORDS only if you have an account. If not email the team at [email protected] and tell them I said to create an account for you!

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:23 pm

Will do, thank you!

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:30 pm

Looks like Cartima is offering more colors for this model including this Signal Orange version. Funny, too, because this model is being called a "911 S" but to me looks more accurate to a 911 S/T than the green one here... :shame:

In other news, I have since listed my green model for sale. I really like it, but decided not to hang on to it. :oops:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:00 pm

That's nice colour option too.

What was the deciding factor for the selling it?

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:29 pm

Think I was on the fence with this model from the start and there was a little regret when buying it, unfortunately. No specific reason, really, it is a good model but just think I'd prefer to get some other models instead.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 pm

Thanks. The review will still go live soon!

Return to “Model Reviews”