REVIEW: Solido 1:43 BMW E39 M5

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
yellowcamaro

REVIEW: Solido 1:43 BMW E39 M5

Post by yellowcamaro » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:50 am

The year was 1998.

We had some pretty huge blockbuster films back then, and even bigger soundtracks to match (Celine Dion, Aerosmith etc). Meanwhile, one of the biggest battles in the auto industry had just concluded - the war between BMW and Volkswagen over the Rolls Royce brand was full of suspense - and the magazine headlines only amplified the drama! Now the same year also witnessed the birth of Google, which truly brought the power of knowledge to the masses. Talk about being empowered..

And yes, we’re going to talk about M Power. Or more specifically, the blockbuster that M Power presented to the world at the 1998 Geneva Motor Show. The press photos were soon all over motoring magazines worldwide - and instantly captured the hearts of the young (and young at heart). What was already the best sport sedan on the planet had been taken up a few notches (with a 400hp V8) - and went on to define the term ‘super sedan’. Enter the E39 BMW M5 - a modern day legend, and in its day zoomed around pretty much unrivalled. There’s no doubt this car propelled the M Division’s reputation into the stratosphere.

The biggest appeal of the M5 was that it hid such sublime performance beneath such an unassuming exterior (to most people, at least). It was truly the James Bond of cars, a debonaire weapon. But we car guys knew one the moment we saw it: the curved side mirrors, the thicker grill surrounds, and more obviously, the sporty bumpers and intricate 18 inchers. The timeless lines on this super well-proportioned machine were penned by Mr Joji Nagashima, who is still with BMW I believe. Car designers weren’t given the centre stage back in the day, but Joji certainly deserved a spot in the limelight.

So kudos to Solido for tackling such a significant subject, as part of their renewed interest in the 1:43 range. It’s great to have more affordable players in this scale, besides Norev, iScale, IXO and Altaya. Solido’s 1:18s are a bit of a hit or miss for me, some look fantastic for the price, while others have proportions that are quite off. I was concerned the 1:43s would be more of the same, but so far things seem to be better than expected. On to our model, now.

At first glance, the E39 body is faithfully reproduced with a pleasing titanium silver paintjob to match. Look a little closer, and the most glaring faults would be the slightly exaggerated ride height (thanks to the slightly oversized wheels), and the oversized exhaust pipes. Could the exhausts be done as such to visually offset the ride height? Hmmm. But still, this is a very pleasing miniature of the real car, and at the affordable end of the market, offers great value. Certainly worth buying if this car resonates with you, and I could end the review right here. But nah, let’s give it the full review treatment, shall we?

Right of the bat, the Solido is not quite as sharp looking as a Norev or iScale. Why? I’m blaming it on the wheels - they look at least an inch too big - something Solido needs to improve. But funnily, I’ve looked at their 1:43 RS6 models, and that doesn’t have the oversized wheel issue - so I’m guessing the E39’s shape & stance isn’t as easy to get right? Previously, we’ve had Neo Models and Schabak tackle the M5/ E39 in this scale - and they look patchier. So they’re not very good points of reference then.

Zooming into the details, the headlight mouldings falter a little, with one of them being slightly loose fitting, leaving noticeable gaps around. The BMW roundel is off-centre, and the hood grills appear to be a touch too high (I’m nitpicking here) - though I’m pleasantly surprised that these issues have not taken away from what is still a pretty spot-on rendition of the E39’s focused front end.

Around the back, things look much tighter - happy to report that the rear lights look perfect. Just don’t stare at the exhausts too long. Or if you can’t stand them, paint them black? Give 'em that ceramic pipes look :)

Looking at the profile, really minimum complaints here. Yes the wheels could fit better but still, a very pleasing, well proportioned 1:43 model. But I am going to highlight one thing: the trademark Hofmeister kink is too watered down, almost nonexistent. But again, not really noticeable, unless you were a BMW fan of that era. The side mirrors do not have reflective inserts, but it doesn’t matter on my silver model.

The interior is pretty fine, I guess at this price you can’t expect coloured seats - but at least everything is well moulded, and the dashboard even features some aluminium trim and speedometer graphics.

Overall, I think Solido’s 1:43 effort is off to a good start, and it’s always great to have more choice at the budget end of the market. This car can still hold its own next to Ottomobile’s 1:18 E39 M5, so that’s saying something. The little faults are easier to overlook in smaller package, but otherwise this model displays well and above all - it successfully captures the actual car’s essence in this scale - and if it can put a smile on your face, then that’s really what matters.

Last edited by yellowcamaro on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin

Re: REVIEW: Solido 1:43 BMW E39 M5

Post by Gavin » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:35 pm

Nice review. I agree, the wheels do look one size too big. Also a correction, the signature Style 65 wheels are 18's, not 17s.

The E39 M5 is one of my all-time favorite cars. A good friend of mine bought one in 2016 (black on black with about 55K miles). He put quite a bit of money into it getting the exterior up to par, as the previous owner let is sit outside on the street. I've driven it numerous times & drove it again about a month ago. It looks & sounds excellent (his has the Dinan exhaust).

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:08 pm

Thanks for the review, lovely photos too.

yellowcamaro

Post by yellowcamaro » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:41 am

Gavin wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:35 pm
Nice review. I agree, the wheels do look one size too big. Also a correction, the signature Style 65 wheels are 18's, not 17s.

The E39 M5 is one of my all-time favorite cars. A good friend of mine bought one in 2016 (black on black with about 55K miles). He put quite a bit of money into it getting the exterior up to par, as the previous owner let is sit outside on the street. I've driven it numerous times & drove it again about a month ago. It looks & sounds excellent (his has the Dinan exhaust).
Thanks for letting me know the wheel size, I've updated the post. I would've never thought they managed to fit 18's into the E39's somewhat petite wheel wells, but wow. I've yet to get a chance to steer the M5, but trust it lives up to the hype.. These E39 M5s (the real ones) are fetching fine prices these days - they age like fine wine don't they.
Last edited by yellowcamaro on Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowcamaro

Post by yellowcamaro » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:08 pm
Thanks for the review, lovely photos too.
You're welcome, Kraftig. Yeah I wanted the photos to channel that E39 poise!

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:31 am

yellowcamaro wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:41 am
These E39 M5s (the real ones) are fetching fine prices these days - they age like fine wine don't they.
totally agree. I found it hard to believe the car was 21 years old. It still felt excellent & pulled hard. A real high point in BMW design & execution (along with the E46 M3, which my buddy also has).

BRN9121

Post by BRN9121 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:42 am

Great model, the only issue I had was with the size of those exhaust tips. But then again, they're so big they might as well pass for an aftermarket exhaust LOL

I have this to compliment my 1:1
In fact, I have all the models in 1:43 to compliment my 1:1's of the last 3 decades.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:43 pm

Great lineup of 1:1s!! 2 V10s! That's awesome.

yellowcamaro

Post by yellowcamaro » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:43 am

BRN9121 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:42 am
Great model, the only issue I had was with the size of those exhaust tips. But then again, they're so big they might as well pass for an aftermarket exhaust LOL

I have this to compliment my 1:1
In fact, I have all the models in 1:43 to compliment my 1:1's of the last 3 decades.
You've sure had some interesting models pass through your hands! Nice Sepang Bronze shade on the E60.

Return to “Model Reviews”