REVIEW: AUTOart Lamborghini Countach Walter Wolf Edition

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: AUTOart Lamborghini Countach Walter Wolf Edition

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:18 pm

It is almost a year to day I sold my Kyosho Lamborghini Countach LP500S Walter Wolf edition scale car. This week the vacant spot was filled with AUTOart’s version on the iconic Countach. To be honest I was quite happy with the Kyosho replica, only reason it was sold was the typical poor Kyosho paint – various rough spots throughout.

Here’s a synopsis on the Walter Wolf cars as taken from Wikipedia: In 1975 Walter Wolf a wealthy Canadian businessman and owner of the Wolf F1 Racing team in the 1970s, purchased an LP 400; however, he was not satisfied with the LP 400′s engine and asked Dallara, the chief engineer of Lamborghini at that time and the founder of the Italian F1 racing team Scuderia Italia in the mid-1980s, to create a special high-power version of the Countach. It was the “code NO 1120148″ Walter Wolf special with the original “5″ engine from the Countach prototype, which produced 447 hp / 7900 rpm and reached a supposed maximum speed of 315 km/h (195.8 mph) or 323.6 km/h (201.1 mph). This model also featured the upgraded wheels, Pirelli P7 tires, large fender flares, and front and rear spoilers of the LP 400S model. It was painted in red, with black fender flares, and was designated “LP 500S” like the standard Countach model from the 1980s, and was the stepping stone that led to this later production model. Two other Wolf Countaches were produced, one painted blue, NO 1120202 (currently in Germany) and one navy blue.

The AUTOart Lamborghini Countach Walter Wolf edition is currently available in two versions, blue (#74652) as reviewed here and the red (#74651). This is another Signature Series edition with this comes the typical black exterior box with silver etched lettering. Inside along with the styrofoam shell you find the detailed instructions, booklet (highlights the features of the model), certificate of authenticity, and key to allow the end-user access to the unlocking mechanism on the doors.

The exterior is absolutely striking in blue. The paint rich, thick and just beautifully applied. There is no orange peel or rough spots to mention here. The gold accents run from to the wheels to the side mirrors right along to the pin-striping. I must say the pin-stripping is exceptionally executed throughout. It also continues on the top and sides of the rear spoiler too. Nice attention to detail AUTOart! The rear cooling grilles are perforated, you can see into the belly of the beast. As well as the rear upper grilles just forward of the rear intakes and the two just below the rear spoiler. Lighting bits front are rear feature high quality materials, which adds to the overall realism. Shutlines and panel gaps are fantastic as the photos will reveal.

The telephone dial wheels are well executed and matched with the appropriate low-profile tires. Disc brakes and rotors are present front and rear though it requires you view them through the holes on the wheels – both finished in silver.

The car features two storage compartments front and rear along with the engine bay – all of which the end user has access. The front storage features spare tire, wiring bits, and braking components, all highly detailed. The addition of a hood prop can be found front and back again adding to the overall realism. One item I like to point out is strapping and spare tire cover added by AUTOart – well done!

The motor in typical AUTOart fashion is highly detailed. The detail is not just contained on the main engine block but spills over to both the right and left side of the engine bay – lots of eye candy here to satisfy the seasoned collector. The hood prop is present too but utterly useless based on the open position target, but kudos for the added detail. The undercarriage offers more than the basic model; here you will find detailed suspension bits, motor, and exhaust system, all highly detailed.

The interior is nicely executed too, right down to the appropriate Walter Wolf decals on the steering wheel. Full carpeting throughout matched with two-tone tan and black interior work quite well with the blue exterior. Though I would say the seat-belt harness looks a little out of scale, but now I’m nitpicking! And look both doors struts are present, not like I found on the LP400 reviewed earlier this year (left the factory with the passenger strut not installed).

I can’t really find anything wrong with AUTOart’s interpretation of the Lamborghini Countach LP500S Walter Wolf. Outside and inside they hit a home run! Did I mention the flawless paint? The elephant on the room is the price point – suggested retail in Canada is over $200! That is utterly ridiculous! For this reason I cannot recommend the model unless you’re a Lambo freak and must have the best. With Kyosho recently re-releasing the blue and red versions you can find one for a $100 less, a more than capable alternative. Enjoy the pics!

Guleb

Re: REVIEW: AUTOart Lamborghini Countach Walter Wolf Edition

Post by Guleb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 am

I have Kyosho's interpretation because I didn't see any point of paying double the price. Mine has no flaws with paint (second version with those avantgarde mirrors).

The only plus I could see are back wheels; the stance is much nicer. But both are in a way true to original; WW just add side bumpers to existing Lambo first and later he add spacers for wider stance.

Detail wise; are there any differences to Kyosho?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 am

Detail wise; are there any differences to Kyosho?
I didn't want to make the review all about AUTOart vs. Kyosho. But detail wise AUTOart wins on all level, the finer details are everywhere, and the paint is just gorgeous. Now does that add up to $100 in more value? That is for you to decide.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 am

awesome looking model. Love the color.

The engine & interior detail looks outstanding.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

Gavin wrote:awesome looking model. Love the color.

The engine & interior detail looks outstanding.
It truly is a fine effort, other than the price it is quite brilliant! :clap:

oiseaulo

Post by oiseaulo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Really nice review. I currently own the kyosho one and I'm tempted to get the Autoart in blue but the only thing that hold me is that I have the old 5000s from AA and the kyosho.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:12 pm

oiseaulo wrote:Really nice review. I currently own the kyosho one and I'm tempted to get the Autoart in blue but the only thing that hold me is that I have the old 5000s from AUTOart and the kyosho.
Thank you. Not worth it unless you have paint issues or Lambo's are your top brand.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Awesome little details! Love the Canadian flare. Very expensive but looks like someone scored on on ebay last week for just over $100! Was that you by any chance?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Not me! Killer deal though!!

oiseaulo

Post by oiseaulo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:00 pm

I was in the race for that car and was the second highest bidder.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:01 pm

oiseaulo wrote:I was in the race for that car and was the second highest bidder.
You should have bid moar! ;)

Hanako

Post by Hanako » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:08 pm

I just got mine today. And it holds a nice coa no. :okay:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Charice wrote:I just got mine today. And it holds a nice coa no. :okay:

What's so good about it?

Hanako

Post by Hanako » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:47 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Charice wrote:I just got mine today. And it holds a nice coa no. :okay:

What's so good about it?
Looks good on display as I display my cert behind it.

Return to “Model Reviews”