REVIEW: Schuco Porsche 550 A Spyder

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: Schuco Porsche 550 A Spyder

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:41 pm

One of my favourite brands today is Porsche. The history, the racing culture, the German engineering is enough to drive any car fan stir crazy. One of Porsche’s designs and one I believe to be in the top ten of sexist cars of all time is the Porsche 550 Spyder. The lines, the raw material, the outside the box thinking for period resonates well with me and I’m sure many others alike. On the flip side the car will remain known through history as the car that the beloved actor James Dean died in. I’m sure Mr. Dean wouldn’t have it any other way, leaving the world enjoying his favourite passion, CARS and within a Porsche to boot.

A year or so ago the team at Schuco released a limited edition 1:18 scale replica of the Porsche 550 A Spyder – Blue. The model was plagued by many product issues from the onset, most were recalled by Schuco, and only a handful made it into the hands of collectors. Well within the last few months a second batch of the same car went back into production, I managed to get my hands on one. This will be the model I present here…

Schuco’s Porsche 550 A Spyder is from their “Exclusive” series model line. Included along with the model is a plaque, handling tool, and detailing cloth. Not so important to me but a nice touch on Schuco’s behalf. The exterior body lines are solid and mimic the original 550 nicely. Though I’m not an authority on Porsche and related platforms, there is a chance here for slight variances. One thing that stuck me was the weight on the beautiful piece, it weights also as much if not more than the Kyosho Roll-Royce EWB, and easily half its size. Also the scale of the model is substantially smaller than Maisto piece too. Schuco didn’t skip on the raw metal here folks. Constructed of substantial diecast throughout the undercarriage and suspension components feature metal too. Brings you back to a different era where top-notch craftsmanship and customer satisfaction were number priority. Well done Schuco!

Panel gaps and shutlines for the most part are spot on, though the doors on my model probably could have used a little more finesse. Paint is nicely done too but there is some peel effect underneath the front bonnet and under carriage. Headlights and taillights are crafted with quality and detail, very life-life. And so are the various decals. Note the metal grilles are on the rear deck, nice!

Wheels aren’t as strong as the rest of the model but more than satisfy. I believe the centre cap is the missing link here, just not up to par… Ride height seems on the level with photos I viewed but the rear could probably rest 2-3mm higher.

The front section houses the gas tank and various related bits such as the battery and various lines. Everything here is highly detailed, nothing overlooked. A combination of metal and leather strap the gas tank down in place. A fully functional gas cap protrudes through the hood. CMC detail here folks!

The rear features much the same. Note the leather tie-downs and buckles, 100% functional! Lift to the hood to reveal the highly detail motor with spare. Again no attention to detail is left unchecked here. Leather straps hold down the spare tire, while detailed carbs atop the motor. Notice the brown leather-look around the perimeter on the hood enclosure. Well done Schuco.

The undercarriage as the upper section of the model is constructed with diecast metal. Nicely detailed ceramic coated exhaust and metal suspension components round out the base.

The interior keeps the flow of this outstanding piece going. The toneau cover is removable, and works without issue. Dash is moulded into the front section of the car with precision and is accompanied by highly detailed instrumentals and steering wheel. The cherry on the cake is the pair of keys sitting in the ignition. Awesome!

The foot-well is completed addressed on the same level and quality as mentioned throughout this review. Chrome bits are crafted with quality and care.

Kudos to Schuco for not giving up on the Porsche 550 A Spyder, they have a true winner here! They addressed the challenges with the initial batch, what we’re left with is a stunning example of a model replica, and one I’ll cherish for many years to come. If you’re a Porsche fan this one is a must, nothing more nothing less. Enjoy the pics!

StratosWRC

Re: REVIEW: Schuco Porsche 550 A Spyder

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 pm

What a great little model. I love seeing this much effort go into something so small. I'd definitely like to get the silver "little bastard" version with the james dean figurine.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 pm

StratosWRC wrote:What a great little model. I love seeing this much effort go into something so small. I'd definitely like to get the silver "little bastard" version with the james dean figurine.
You should! :okay:

HAROMASTER

Post by HAROMASTER » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:14 pm

WOW!!!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:25 pm

HAROMASTER wrote:WOW!!!
My feeling exactly after I got my hands on this model. I never thought it would be this good BUT it is! :okay:

jpm2002

RE-REVIEW: Schuco Porsche 550 A Spyder "Little Bastard"

Post by jpm2002 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 am

May I piggy back ride your great review by posting some pics of the James Dean "Little Bastard" version of the car. I bought it a while ago (2013!!), but I accidentally wiped off one of the photo etched decals. It's a common problem on the model apparently. Just like the Cooper F1 cars the photo etched parts are very detailed but also extremely fiddly. It's best not to touch them at all!

Schuco kindly sent me replacement decals, but I only put them back on the model yesterday.

There are some small differences to the blue version of the car, beginning with the paint scheme and the driver figurine. The interior also has a different color and there is no tonneau cover as James Dean was carrying a passenger at the time.

When I say at the time, I mean that there is a clear timestamp. I believe Schuco based the model on these pictures of James' Porsche. Those are the last pictures of him alive. He was then travelling to a race in Salinas with Porsche mechanic Rolf Wutherich at his side. Since he only got delivery of the Spyder nine days before, he decided to drive the car to the race to get familiar with it before taking it to the track. You can see the white car behind with the trailer that was supposed to carry the Porsche... Cue the 'what ifs'.

The rear of the car is also slightly different as is has the number plate on the engine cover grill and a black exhaust. The Porsche badge also looks a bit bigger on the "Little Bastard". Schuco did a good job on the paint scheme, although apparently the red stripes need a very thin golden outline. I'm not entirely sure if that's true as most pictures of the real car aren't that detailed. They did add the Nurburgring badge James' Porsche carried on the sides. It's a bit of a shame it's just painted on and not a real badge, but you can't have it all I guess.

The cockpit is the same, albeit in a different color. The key in the ignition is a very nice touch indeed as is the jack on the right side underneath the door. The dashboard is also vey nice and the dials look very clear. As said in the previous review, the detail of the fuel tank at the front is exquisite with the metal covered leather straps and the battery leads.

The same level of detail is held for the engine bay. The working leather straps holding it are magnificent. It's a bit of a shame the engine cover doesn't open fully as the exhaust is in the way, but I guess it's the same on the real car. The dual carburettor engine has a lot of detail in it and the spare wheel has the same leather straps as the engine cover. Even the hinges are the real deal!

The wheels were not too well recieved in the review above. I don't really see what's wrong with them. The centre of the rim is also a very plain black stump on the real car.

To me, the worst part of this model is the James Dean driver figurine (a problem which is nonexistent with the blue car). It's not to scale of the car it seems, or it must be that mine shrunk a lot. Then there is the likeness of the figure. It doesn't look like James Dean at all.

On blurry shots like these it's still pretty bad...

So we just leave it out then.

As said here above, a quality model by Schuco. It's a heavy model indeed, and feels quite sturdy, but is actually very fragile (especially the photo etched decals) and intensively detailed. For the "Little Bastard", just ignore the figurine and enjoy the beauty of the car.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:10 am

I think you just sold me on this one. I think this is the only version I'd get. Also very good that the figurine is removable

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:13 am

What a great piece! Will publish soon

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:29 pm

I had no idea it was that good.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:22 pm

damnyouebay wrote:I had no idea it was that good.
ITS THAT GOOD!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Oh by the way the blue one is on sale at CK for 75 Euro with DS discount! :wow: :money: :money:

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:17 pm

awesome model. Don't think I realized that Schuco did Dean's car.

the1

Post by the1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:02 pm

I stlll prefer the blue version, but both models are great.

the1

Post by the1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:15 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Oh by the way the blue one is on sale at CK for 75 Euro with DS discount! :wow: :money: :money:
Isn't the discount 10%? So it would be 91 euros, not 75. Am I wrong?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:15 pm

We don't pay VAT in North America, plus the DS discount ;)

Return to “Model Reviews”