REVIEW: Minichamps DE Porsche 911 (991) Turbo S

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: Minichamps DE Porsche 911 (991) Turbo S

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Very little from Minichamps excites me lately, but along came a new model, the Porsche 911 (991) Turbo S. The dealer edition is a limited piece of 1000. Some may ask what makes a dealer edition different. Well for one the limited production, unique colour, this one is covered in factory Agate Grey. Also different exterior packaging and front and rear European license plate fixed front and rear, which are usually not found on a typical equivalent hobby edition car.

So I’ll start off with the dealer edition packaging. What we have here is a very small and compact design. The exterior is finished in sliver with the typical Porsche logo and Turbo S photo adorning one side. The bottom side features the typical factory rhetoric that many collectors are accustomed to seeing. Inside the model is housed in a two piece styrofoam shell with four screws securing the model in place, one I personally like and wish other manufactures would adopt. If anyone is interested in sourcing the model directly from your local Porsche dealership the model is as follows # WAP 021 030 0E.

The exterior paint on this particular piece was by far the main reason for the instant attraction – the factory Agate Grey is simply delicious! Minichamps paint technique here is flawless and overall lines seem to mimic the original car well. Shutlines and panel gaps are excellent on this particular piece. The front fascia features detailed headlights and signals. Intakes are solid are plastic bits. Boo. At first glance some may accuse Minichamps of the wrong front lower chin spoiler but this is not the case. The 991 Turbo S features an inflatable lower chin spoiler, Minichamps choose the closed position for their production model.

The side of the car features cooling intakes, again solid pieces painted black. Though it doesn’t look bad the lack of detail could have taken this model from good to GREAT! Moving to the rear you find some nicely detailed rear taillights and side markers. Nice clean work on the Porsche logo and Turbo lettering too. The 991 Turbo S does feature a functional upper rear spoiler but the one found here is static, though I’ll give Minichamps credit for properly defining the top and bottom portion.

In my opinion the next best element about this model are the gorgeous hockenheim-style wheels. Props to Minichamps for using the larger diameter wheel with the Turbo S and recreating the depth of detail here. The inner spokes are painted black as the original and the wheels are mated perfectly to the yellow calipers (perfect contrast In my opinion) and massive cross-drilled rotors. My only complaint would be the scale of the holes used in the front rotors, too large – they don’t match the rears.

The front of the Porsche Turbo S features an opening hood. There is a button located underneath that aids in the process. Not much going on here in terms of detail or definition, just a basic plastic bit. It would have been nice to see lined carpeted piece and proper struts for the hood. The engine details are sufficient as the original doesn’t reveal much. Though is would be nice to see updated hinge work and the fluid caps painted to match the original. Undercarriage is sparse, basic suspension components are present with lower motor and exhaust workings on display.

The interior as the motor is sufficient in terms of detail but the biggest miss is lack of carpeting throughout. Though not a deal killer, all the elements seem to be here, but the lack of detail, overall refinement and depth is noticeable in the end.

What we have here is a very decent model from Minichamps. Overlooking looking some of the short coming we have a truly beautiful piece. The exterior paint and wheels are truly stunning, and provide a presence most models can only wish to deliver. I’m sure our friends at Minichamps won’t let this mold go to waste and are already contemplating colours for a future hobby edition version, hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. Enjoy the pics!

HAROMASTER

Re: REVIEW: Minichamps DE Porsche 911 (991) Turbo S

Post by HAROMASTER » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Me thinks me wants! thanks for the write up.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 pm

HAROMASTER wrote:Me thinks me wants! thanks for the write up.
You're welcome.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:56 pm

You gotta use that large GMP brush to get the dust off before taking pics. The dust specks are like flies in the Porsche ointment

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:16 pm

StratosWRC wrote:You gotta use that large GMP brush to get the dust off before taking pics. The dust specks are like flies in the Porsche ointment
LOL I did use the gloves :lol:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:53 am

She's definitely a looker though. Love the colour, the shape is spot on. Shame about the details (or lack thereof), but who cares.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:42 am

StratosWRC wrote:She's definitely a looker though. Love the colour, the shape is spot on. Shame about the details (or lack thereof), but who cares.
LOL you do! :lol:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Haha yes, which is why I don't buy too many modern road cars. You open the hood, and there's a big plastic engine cover and a logo. Very what's the word....anti-climactic.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:19 am

A bunch of these have been bought by members at DX, but this is the first review with great pics. Thanks so much for posting.

Love the color & the wheels...a bit let down by the interior. The stance on the 1:1 on the box looks awful, but the model is a great hunkered down stance. That & the awesome wheels are what sold me.

Didn't realize it was limited to 1000. Can't wait to get mine!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks Gavin.
Love the color & the wheels...a bit let down by the interior. The stance on the 1:1 on the box looks awful, but the model is a great hunkered down stance. That & the awesome wheels are what sold me.
The stance is actually slightly more aggressive than the actual real deal, though I;m not complaining at all!

Sanchez

Post by Sanchez » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:55 pm

The wheels are fantastic. 75% of success of this model.
That is one model I would love to get but I won't.
Sometimes you have to restrict yourself and that is the case.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:23 pm

The wheels are fantastic. 75% of success of this model.
Totally agree!

jface

Post by jface » Sun May 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Model looks stunning but brakes could have been done better.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun May 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Have you driven one yet?

TOR35

Post by TOR35 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Is there any way these can be scooped up locally through Porsche dealers in the GTA?

Return to “Model Reviews”