Review: Classic Carlectables 2013 VF commodore Red Bull

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
wotda

Review: Classic Carlectables 2013 VF commodore Red Bull

Post by wotda » Sat May 07, 2016 5:53 am

A recent purchase is this 2013 VF commodore run by Red Bull Racing Australia (triple 8 engineering), are limited edition to celebrate 10 years for triple 8 in V8 supercars. It's a diecast of the car Craig lowndes and Warren luff drove during the Sandown 500 endurance race and also comes with a handcover book telling the triple 8 race team story.

This is also my first purchase of there new sealed diecast that classic carlectables has been offering.

When opening the box and seeing the model for the first time, the first impressions of this model was pretty good. The model seem to have kept the same detail level as what cc did in with the previous diecast. Beyond that everything when downhill.

I have read from other forums that the quality from cc recently has gone downhill. Ranging from broken bits, chipped paint etc. Well in this instance when I picked the model out of the polystyrene box, it felt greasy....very greasy. The entire car and wheels was greasy. Strike 1

Since this model is sealed you would hope to see the same level of detail inside compare to what they did previously. Unfortunately it was lacking in detail. In fact just because its sealed they think that no one would notice. Strike 2

Now comes the exterior, again the level of detail if I compare this with there previous range was miles off. I will use a VE commodore from there previous range as comparison.

Some examples:

The VF exhaust is part of the body mould not a separate part

The previous VE however is a separate part and the disc brakes and calipers are more detail.

The VF fuel cap is just a sticker.

The VE is an extrude part and the boot pins looks more 3d

Almost 70% of the underside came from a single mould hence loosing details and looks very much like a toy compare to the VE. In the VE the control arms and shafts are separate parts and appears to have more depth. The front wheels for the VF cannot be turn left or right but the VE can because all the link are separate parts.

The VF is on the left and the VE is on the right

VF underside

VE underside

You can't open the bonnet or boot in the VF but you can for the VE and see the fuel cell and engine (the air box cover can be taken out).

The only exterior element that seems good is the racing livery.

In general this new diecast that cc has created feels more like a cheap toy instead of a detail diecast. Its also lighter compare to the VE. This was a major disappointment compare to what cc released in the past. So I think I will just stick with the pre sealed cc or have a look at binate or apex if looking for something more recent v8 supercars instead.
Last edited by wotda on Sat May 21, 2016 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Oldtimer

Re: Review: Classic Carlectables 2013 VF commodore Red Bull

Post by Oldtimer » Sat May 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Excellent review and validates everything I have heard about the new CC's. Back when I started collecting V8 Supercars, I made the choice to go exclusively CC versus a mix of Biante and AutoArt. Was glad I did up until now, and as you point out, I will focus on filling in my collection of CC's with features versus going for the new liveries on the cheaper (actually more expensive, aren't they) sealed versions.

Thanks for going the extra mile on this review!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat May 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks for the review, great comparison of new and past methods. Jeez they took a lot of cost out in this piece. Seems it's the way manufacturers are moving today. Vote with your wallet folks

wotda

Post by wotda » Sat May 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Well from my research when these sealed cars first came out they cost 200+ AUD. Now the rrp price of its current range is around the 170 AUD. However binate 1:18 are around 175-200AUD (10% less if you join the club which is free) and the apex range is around the 150-160AUD. Biante are diecast with open bonnets, doors etc and apex is sealed but I heard they have better quality and detail. That pretty much explain why I see the standard red bull or hrt season car going for 99AUD on ebay. I was going to purchase last years Bathurst winner, however I think I might pass or wait till it drops even more. Its not worth the 170AUD asking price. I'll do a comparison in the future when I get an actual VF commodore done by Biante and apex.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 am

Red Bull livery usually looks very good & this model is no exception.

Sad to read the state of CC's new efforts, though. They were once the real highlight in the mid-price range models, packing a wealth of details for not much more than an AA Millenium.

wotda

Post by wotda » Sat May 21, 2016 7:50 am

The review is the same, but just updated the photos.

James3592

Post by James3592 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:07 am

They're not bad models but compared with similar products from Apex Replicas and Biante, they aren't in the same league. It's a shame, but when you're a diehard supporter of Lowndes... :money: :money: :money:

There was talk that Apex Replicas had tried to get the rights to produce the Red Bull (and now Team Vortex with Lowndes now in the third car) cars for 2016 and beyond but CC has kept them for another couple of years :shame: :wall:

wotda

Post by wotda » Sun May 22, 2016 12:54 am

I m surprised that triple 888 are still with cc, considering all the other teams have gone to other manufacturers. HRT and Penske has gone to biante and FPR, nissan and volvo have gone to apex.

Return to “Model Reviews”