REVIEW: Biante 1/18 Mercedes E63 V8 Supercars

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
James3592

REVIEW: Biante 1/18 Mercedes E63 V8 Supercars

Post by James3592 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:44 pm

My first attempt at a review, so here goes…

My latest purchase is a pair of 1/18 scale Mercedes E63 AMG V8 Supercars by Biante Model Cars.

With V8 Supercars opening up their regulations for 2013, new manufacturers were invited in to join the traditional Ford v Holden rivalry. Nissan signed up early with a 4-car team while Ford team Stone Brothers Racing was bought out and became a privateer Mercedes team, Erebus Motorsport.

Erebus ran 3 E63 AMG’s in 2013 before scaling back to 2 cars for 2014 where they took a popular race win with Lee Holdsworth at Winton. They continued to run 2 cars for 2015 picking up another win, this time with Will Davison at Perth.

At the end of the year, the cars were parked due to lack of development and support from AMG and Mercedes Australia. From 2016 onwards Erebus are running Holden Commodores.

But despite the lack of success, the E63’s gained a strong following, thanks to the team’s eccentric owner Betty Kilmenko.

Over the 3 years, all sorts of liveries and sponsors adorned the side of the cars and the 2 featured in this review are both from the 2015 Gold Coast 600 which is run on the Surfers Paradise street circuit. This was significant as it was the 100th race for Erebus in V8 Supercars.

Car #9 was in the sinister black and gold Penrite livery and driven by Will and Alex Davison.

Car #4 was presented in the bright pink Wendys livery and driven by Ash Walsh and Jack Le Brocq.

Both cars looked great on the track and Biante’s models look just as good. There are a few tiny little nicks in the paint and decals, but nothing to be alarmed about. The flat black paintwork on the Penrite car in particular is exceptional.

The wheels and tires are also faithfully replicated and so are the brakes, right down to the groves in the discs.

One of the best things about a Biante model: opening parts! (That’s starting to become a rarity for Australian collectors) The hood and all 4 doors open to give you a closer look at the engine and interior. The trunk is sealed but there’s nothing in there to see, so it’s understandable that Biante haven’t bothered. (It also helps keep costs down.)

While there isn’t much engine to see thanks to the engine cover, the cover itself is still nicely detailed, right down to the AMG signage and the little Mercedes final inspection signature.

Everything in the interior has been created with great attention to detail from the unique E-cell seat, the roll cage, gear stick, roll bar adjusters, ice box and even the sponsors stickers on the dash, ice box and seat.

Another great little detail is the carbon pattern on the door with the Erebus motorsport logo engraved into it. One small flaw: the doors spacing when they’re closed, there is a bit of a bigger gap between them than the real car. But it’s only a minor issue.

Overall, these are great models. As I said earlier, there are few tiny imperfections with the paint and decals, but no model is perfect.

Price is another plus for these models: $175 (Australian). Considering pricing from other V8 model makers (neither of whom have opening parts) is similar, this makes them great value for money.

The cars are packaged nicely too. They come in the black Biante box (wrapped in clear wrapping for extra protection). Inside is the Certificate of Authenticity (individually numbered) and the cars are protected very well in a foam shell molded to their shape. There are no bolts to worry about either, so they come out with ease for you to admire.

Another big plus is rarity. Only 300 units of each car are made, so get in quick if you really want one!

So to finish up, if you’re after something a little bit different to add to your collection, a Mercedes V8 Supercar fits the bill: a bit of a novelty, a cult-like following, great detail, very rare and simply just a great model.

StratosWRC

Re: REVIEW: Biante 1/18 Mercedes E63 V8 Supercars

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:03 pm

Great review and they look like great models. I like the black one more. Too bad over here in north america, these are virtually unknown. The only time I hear about these cars is when I either play video games or see them as models.

wotda

Post by wotda » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:11 am

And that's why they are out of stock. Nice photos and great review. I m waiting for biante 10% off sale then I'll pull the trigger.

The engine noise that the mercs make are so much angrier than the fords and holden.

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:02 pm

I've been on the fence about adding a Merc to my V8 Supercars collection, which is predominantly Holdens (I owned two Pontiac G8 GT's at one time) and Fords (because when I started my collection, that was the field), and recently added a couple of Nissans (my wife bought a Pathfinder).

Biante has done a good job on these, as compared to the Apex Nissans, which are fully sealed.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:32 pm

cool looking models. I know it wasn't a factory effort, but still awesome to see MB mixing it up in V8 Supercars.

Return to “Model Reviews”