REVIEW: AUTOart McLaren P1

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: AUTOart McLaren P1

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 am

One of AUTOart’s most anticipated models in recent times is the 1:18 McLaren P1. There are an assortment of colours coming, the first in the Matt Black with Red accents parts. We have that model here today for review. The McLaren P1 is a sportscar or hypercar, whatever it is it is capable of speeds in access of 218 mph or 351 km/h. I won’t bore you with the details as there are many resources to entail the granular technical side of the P1; in a nutshell the P1 utilizes Hybrid Power and Formula 1 technology. The car is like nothing we seen before, perhaps a possible successor to the famous McLaren F1…

The P1 model is manufactured by AUTOart in 1:18 scale, it is aligned with their Signature Series tier. Base material (which has been scrutinized long before its release) is composite or as some like to say plastic. It features opening parts and removable rear section. With tax, this model is well north of $300CND. The P1 model comes shipped in the typical styrofoam shell box, both the rear hatch and spoiler come shipped independently from the model. You will notice the spoiler is in the closed position for all photos. The included instructions on how to install the spoiler or somewhat vague, since the model wasn’t mine I wasn’t going to press the install in case of damage. So my first question to you is, how do you install the rear spoiler? LOL

The exterior lines of the P1 are just stunning; the car is pushing the boundaries of design as well as keeping the essence of “sportscar” alive. The P1 concept isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but we don’t like those haters anyway (LOL). AUTOart did a great job is capturing the overall beauty of the P1 lines. Initially I wasn’t sold on the Matt Black exterior, but spending a little time with her did change my opinion, and she photographs oh so well! Exterior paint along side the carbon fibre craftsmanship is excellent. The Red accent bits work well in mating the exterior with interior. I love the stance too, very aggressive, as all sportscars should be.

The roof area features flaps left and right. Function of each is flawless.

The front of the P1 features carbon fibre detail, mesh grilles and access to the storage. All elements are created with care, fit and finish is spot on. There has been some debate on the headlights, in my opinion the detail is there, but based on the price point a little more definition would have been appreciated. Rear is much like the front, great execution throughout. AUTOart even captured the minuet workings of the rear brake lighting.

The P1 wheels are sharp and executed in typical AUTOart fashion. I personally love the white script on the wheels. Basically it screams DON’T MESS WITH ME! The braking components add to the realism with Red calipers and ceramic discs.

The P1 features a 3.8-litre twin-turbocharged V8 petrol engine. The twin turbos produce 727 bhp and 531 lb·ft of torque. Remember the car is hybrid; the in-house electric motor develops an additional 177 bhp. All this sounds delicious, and one would expect the P1 engine detail to be on par, well folks it is not. Your initial thoughts are wow, but the dust settles very quickly under closer inspection. Based on comparing photos of the 1:1 the engine falls short. With a $300+ price tag the model ships with $150 priced motor. A little more effort here could have gone along way. For example the radiators and cooling fans look like something I recently assembled on a LEGO Volkswagen T1 camper build. And based on the models repeated delays, I believe we collectors deserved a whole lot more for our patience. AUTOart was already behind the gun with the switch to composite from metal, so winning the hearts of fans would rely heavily on capturing the best possible detail. Well AUTOart you missed this race.

It’s not all doom and gloom, on the positive side the removable rear hatch is easily removed and installed, though it does seem extremely fragile due to the composite material. Also the paint work on the exhaust system is very cool along side the heat-shield, both add realism to the otherwise lack lustre engine bay.

Access to the interior is done through the traditional McLaren up-sweep doors. Function is flawless here. AUTOart seems to have captured the design well and profile lines too. There are no shock absorbers or struts in view, which mirrors the 1:1. Inside the cockpit all elements are there are crafted with care. Red on Black is very satisfying. Carpeting and fabric seat-belts are present too. It isn’t AUTOart’s best work, but I grade it A minus.

The McLaren P1 is a unique monster for sure. Overall AUTOart has done a respectable job with the P1. No doubt the biggest miss is the engine detail. I’m puzzled on who or how this final product gets approval through the AUTOart brass. That being said there are other options in scale, resin, though they are sealed. There is also the TrueScale Miniature option, but they don’t provide access to the engine at all.

The AUTOart P1 is most likely the best dollar for dollar scale model available, BUT it falls short of the brands original identity. It really seems they don’t know where to play, be it high-end, low-end, mid-range, or what not, or is this a simple case of margin before execution? You decide. Enjoy the pics!

damnyouebay

Re: REVIEW: AUTOart McLaren P1

Post by damnyouebay » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:24 am

Looks alright, and if I liked the car this is the model I would buy. (In orange probably)

J-B

Post by J-B » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Saw this model in person, and although it looked good overall and better than photos, I completely agree about the engine. Also, not personally a big fan of the flat black/red.

If I get one it will be yellow or orange probably (though Matt chrome looks interesting).

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 am

not of fan of matte colors...though the red accents & interior do help a lot.

I like the P1 a lot, but AA priced me out of the Signature level cars a long time ago. I do think the engine looks very plasticky for the price (and even half the price).

Fulgura

Post by Fulgura » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:25 am

Exterior and interior looks OK, but yes, there's not much detail on the engine.

I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay this more than an Aventador money. But that's not in my concerns anymore since I stopped collecting models.

Mac47

Post by Mac47 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:42 am

Engine looks about the same level as the Veyron or Ford GT. Not great.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:21 am

Mac47 wrote:Engine looks about the same level as the Veyron or Ford GT. Not great.
Marginally less, maybe due to the space they are required to fill/detail. It should have been better.

the1

Post by the1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:39 am

Engine, dissappointing. Review, EXCELLENT (as usual). Thank you!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:14 am

the1 wrote:Engine, dissappointing. Review, EXCELLENT (as usual). Thank you!
Thank you.

CobraKing27

Post by CobraKing27 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:31 am

A model this cost should really have battery-powered LED's in the headlights

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:39 pm

CobraKing27 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:31 am
A model this cost should really have battery-powered LED's in the headlights
That is a rarity! This build has front and rear woking lights!

https://diecastsociety.com/eaglemoss-bu ... n-the-box/

Return to “Model Reviews”