AUTOart: BMW M3 DTM (E30) Plain Body

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

AUTOart: BMW M3 DTM (E30) Plain Body

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 am

It has been awhile since I've added a M badge to my collection. I was very excited to here late in 2012 that AUTOart had announced a new release of E30 M3 DTM cars with plain body or presentation car as I like to call them to coincide with the release. I collect a lot of presentation cars, maybe its a substitute for no longer collecting livery lines, but for some reason I like to think they could be a possible street car you and I would consider as a daily driver. The following model is available in livery form as well as in presentation form in white and black.

On to the model... Exterior lines of the car are captured well they mimic the 1:1 nicely. The subtle fared fenders of the E30 M3 are one of my favourites of all 3 series M's. Hochheim wheels, rotors and brake calipers are nicely appointed. One thing you will notice are the hood pins across the front. One would assume the hood is removable, but this is not the case it is actually hinged into place - see photos below. The rear exterior features an adjustable spoiler that is locked into a fixed position. And front and rear BMW emblems are 3D which is a nice touch.

One surprise was the undercarriage of this model it provided more detailed than I anticipated from AUTOart's entry level line. You will notice some painted bits including exhaust, motor, transmission and suspension components. Well done.

The motor is well appointed too. Very detailed with wires, painted bits, and the "BMW M Power" across the intake is striking as well. As noted earlier you can see the hinge work for the hood operation. It may not be to spec but does functional well. The rear bonnet is detail too with fuel tank and lines typical of AUTOart racing die casts.

Interior is sparse, but that is expected from a full spec racing car. Seat, gear shifter, dash and roll cage are all well executed. Expose wires and other painted bits add realism to the final product.

So would I recommend this model, yes I would! I know there are purists that prefer to see no presentation cars or anything outside the livery line, but I for one love them. You then slap on an M3 badge and I'm in love. My car presented zero quality control issues, thank you AUTOart. Here's hoping for more cars long this theme from AUTOart in the near future. Enjoy the pics!

Kwando

Re: AUTOart: BMW M3 DTM (E30) Plain Body

Post by Kwando » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 pm

Looks great! I can't wait to get mine..I have a street E30 M3 interior ready to go into this one. I'm curious to compare it with my other E30s and see if there are any differences..is the chassis metal or plastic? I think the E30s I have are metal.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Plastic. It's a decent piece, yes.

twenty3

Post by twenty3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks for sharing K!

M cars are very enticing to collect! :drool:

diecast

Post by diecast » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks for sharing , looks very good

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 pm

You mentioned AA's entry level line...these are AA Milleniums (AA's mid-level). The older releases were in the old clamshell boxes.

Anyway, great add, Davide. I have the Watson's version & love it. AA did a fantastic job on their DTM M3's. I love the stance!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Gavin wrote:You mentioned AUTOart's entry level line...these are AUTOart Milleniums (AUTOart's mid-level). The older releases were in the old clamshell boxes.

Anyway, great add, KRAFTIG. I have the Watson's version & love it. AUTOart did a fantastic job on their DTM M3's. I love the stance!
This comment is in relation to their hierarchy as it stands today. Yes the stance is a positive motivating factor in purchasing the M3 :money:

David

Post by David » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 pm

That spoiler kicks ass.
I must stop looking at this E30. The more I see it the more I want it.

Return to “Model Reviews”