REVIEW: Nismo GT-R (R34) Comparison - AUTOart vs HPI vs OttO

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
David

REVIEW: Nismo GT-R (R34) Comparison - AUTOart vs HPI vs OttO

Post by David » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:20 pm

HEAVY!

/!\ Perspectives are different between real car pictures and mine. Take them only as a reference. It can’t be match perfectly/!\

All the pictures (except the wheels) are taken at the same distance and focal (55mm).

Front:

HPI:
  • Very close to the real car.
  • Headlights are nicely donee even if the finish is not so good when you look closely.
  • Perforated grill will let you see the big Nismo radiator but they put it way too deep in the body.
  • Carbon front lip.
  • Body width similar to AUTOart’s.
  • The hood vent is « too short », it should end higher.

OttOmobile:
  • Engraving is good, even better than HPI’s in my opinion.
  • Headlights look as good as HPI’s. However, I have doubts concerning the shape and size (too big?)
  • The radiator is far more visible than the others, a good thing. Too bad, for the molded upper grill.
  • The body is definitely narrower than the HPI and the AUTOart. Who’s right? Sadly I cannot measure accurately.
  • The hood vent is now wide enough.
  • The front lip is huge. Is that a mistake? Or did OttO come accross a specific model?

AUTOart:
  • Outdated mold is obvious.
  • Unrealistic headlights.
  • Huge advantage over the resins is the perforated grills which show the parts of the engine behind.
GIF:

3/4 front:

GIF:

Rear:

/!\ I won’t discuss specific parts to the Z-Tune or the Clubman /!\

HPI:
  • The rear is one of the best part on the HPI.
  • The rear wing lip is in carbon.
  • Tail lights are superb.
  • The crease under the third brake light is rough.

OttOmobile:
  • The rear is nicely done as well. Some details are not as hood (carbon lip on the rear wing or the missing tail lights bulbs.
  • The crease under the third brake light is here but not visible in my photo.

AUTOart:
  • The tail lights and the body are not flush. Biggest issue with the AUTOart. You have a depth which does not exist in reality.
GIF:

Wheels:

/!\ I won’t discuss specific parts to the Z-Tune or the Clubman /!\

HPI:
  • The wheels are way too big. I know that HPI tends to add inches to their wheels but I hate that. The car seats really high.
  • Tire sidewall markings and tire valve > Nice details. Very welcomed.
  • Paint is rough.

OttOmobile:
  • Same issue as the HPI. However, the OttO seats a tad higher than the HPI.
  • Painted nuts is a great touch.

AUTOart:
  • Perfectly sized wheels. Car seats low as it should.
  • Sadly, wheels are not concave enough.
Conclusion :

You can now make your own conclusions. :)
I’m happy to have them. When you have the AUTOart or the HPI prices in mind (I’m not even mentioning Mark), then OttO is the perfect alternative with a friendly price and a great execution. The issues I found here should not impact the quality of the model. I may already have 2 Nismo R34s I was quite surprised when I took it out of the box!
If you like to see the engine or the interior, then you won't have the choice! ;)

Atalante

Re: REVIEW: Nismo GT-R (R34) Comparison - AUTOart vs HPI vs

Post by Atalante » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:32 pm

Excellent work on this comparison. Despite the small issues I am happy to own the bayside blue Autoart.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Wow love the transitional image view gives a very unique perspective view. I can live with the small issues, the win here AUTOart opens up, this gives the end user much more love for the "entire" model/car on the whole.

groupCin1.43

Post by groupCin1.43 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Nicely done. :clap:

Return to “Model Reviews”