AUTOart Chevrolet Corvette C4

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

AUTOart Chevrolet Corvette C4

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am

The latest addition to the collection is the Chevrolet Corvette C4 by AUTOart. This iconic car has been a staple in American culture for decades, In my opinion the best platform overall to come from Detroit. I consider it the Porsche 911 of North America. To be honest it wasn’t on the radar but unexpectedly one came up on eBay, local seller too accepted an offer of $100 with local pickup. Based on suggested retail the price was more than reasonable when you place things into perspective, lol. At first I wanted the red but at the last minute I gambled on the black with retro red interior and I’m glad I did!

On to the model… The exterior is nicely painted in charcoal-metallic black paint, working surprisingly well with the red interior. I’m glad I made the decision to switch from red to black. Overall exterior lines are very good. The shutlines around the door could be better but honestly they probably mirror the 1:1, as we all know Detroit isn’t known for attention to detail, and the C4 back in the eighties was a good step in the right direction, but lacked in refinement. Wheels are executed nicely and overall diameter works well with the scale. One item that needs a definite call out is the wrap around headlight mechanism, works flawlessly. Well done AUTOart! 3D front and rear emblems mimic the 1:1 Corvette as well.

The engine bay is to the point nothing really spectacular going on here other than the big ass block. One thing I did like is the classic front hinged hood with the functional prop. Works well, felt as good as full scale automobile. I’m no authority on Corvette so I’ll give AUTOart the benefit of the doubt that the motor lives up to the 1:1.

The interior is nicely fashioned in red, red, red, I think you all have noticed the retro eighties theme here. I like it! It works well. Sparse and to the point, a nice feature here is the removal roof, which carries the red theme to the underside. The rear hatch/glass is functional, and the addition of two working struts is a nice touch. Well done AUTOart!

The Corvette is a staple in America culture. I don’t believe to this point that we’ve seen a C4 Corvette executed to this level present here by AUTOart. If you’re a Corvette fan, or sport’s car fan in general I would highly recommend this diecast. I’m itching to add more Corvettes of the earlier generation, hopefully I can resist as space is at a premium as all collectors know. Enjoy the pics!

Gavin

Re: AUTOart Chevrolet Corvette C4

Post by Gavin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 am

That looks great....need to add that one to the list.

I have Maisto's later facelifted ('91-96 model years) cars & they're decent for $20 models, but this really blows it away. The panel gaps on the Maistos are freaking ginormous.

I was 10yrs old when the C4 came out & had lots of first hand experience as my neighbor bought one, right when they came out...to go with his '82 & '62. It was a huge step up in performance from the late C3's. To date, the C4 is still the only Corvette I've driven...both '94's, both in Polo Green Metallic, one Coupe (an auto), the other the Roadster (a 6spd manual).

I'd love an '88 or '89 Coupe with these wheels, as I had a couple buddies that had these growing up. One of the first non-exotics to feature 17" wheels.

an pre-'91 ZR1 would be awesome, too (maisto makes the later facelifted '92+ cars).

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm sure that they ave a base car other variants are around the corner. I really want to expand my Corvette collection, might just do so...

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:12 pm

I have a number of Corvettes...may I suggest the AA C3 '82 Collectors Edition or AA (or UT) '78?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Exactly what I'm after :) :(

jface

Post by jface » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Interesting Add the C4 was not one of my fave cars but its an excellent color combo. Looks good

Angel Spirov

Post by Angel Spirov » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks for the revue!
But hm... no doubt it is a very well made model, but i will stick to my Maisto! The price for the AA is 140 Euro around here and i got the Maisto for less than 20!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 am

Haha thanks for the info Luky!

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

Good info, but a couple corrections...the early Nash 4spd manual (before the 6spd came out in '89) was a 4+3, not a 4+2.

The 300hp LT1 was available in '92, not '90. The '91 was the first year of the rounded off back end (similar in style to the ZR1, without the widened rear fenders or tires).

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm thankful I did not analysis the fine details on this models :rotfl:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Mine had 600hp at the wheels all naturally aspirated.
Impressive! :manual:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 am

Lucky13 wrote:Vettes are relatively easy to get even to 1000hp. Making everything else on the car to handle it is a different story. :D
Ha ha so true! :rotfl:

Return to “Model Reviews”