Review: Autoart P1 Volcano Orange Vs TSM P1 Amethyst Black

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
blackvitzrs

Review: Autoart P1 Volcano Orange Vs TSM P1 Amethyst Black

Post by blackvitzrs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:37 pm

First Impression:
The topic of Autoart going composite has been beaten to death and I too have shared my opinion on a few occasions; bashing their new composite model cars. In particular, I was very critical of the P1 when it was first released. Its toy like engine, the horrible shut-lines, and the painted LED strip on the headlights leave very little to desire. Why did I buy this now? Only because of the subject matter did I give in to Autoart’s composite P1. My first impression of it in the flesh was actually a pleasant surprise. It is not as heavy as some of my diecast models, but it does not completely feel like a $20 plastic toy car. It is not as flimsy as some had said. Yes it is flimsy, but not much worst than the diecast TSM P1.

The TSM on the other hand had a great first impression just due to its sheer heaviness. It is at least 25% heavier than Autoart’s. I was also awed by the Ametyst Black, which shines a deep purple when well lit.

Accuracy and shape:
Both are very very similar in dimension, and shape. The TSM looks more muscular because it stances lower. The fact that it is made of metal, all the panels are thicker, giving it the impression that it is bulkier and less refined. Also, if you look very closely, the shoulder bulges on the TSM on the front and the rear are ever so slightly sharper and a tad higher than the Autoart. This is the main reason why the TSM looks more muscular in the flesh.

Paintwork:
I have seen some of the paint work by Autoart on plastic / composite bodies. I have not been impressed. It looks dull and boring and just does not reflect light the way metal does. The P1, however, was much better paint wise than the others I have seen. Even though it is reflective and shiny, it still looks somewhat plastic. I prefer paint on metal. Color wise, I love both the Volcano Orange and the Amethyst Black equally. Hence, colorwise, it is a tie.

Details:
Each has its own pros and cons. The headlights on the TSM are a disaster. Not only is it not accurate, the design/execution of the plastic piece is chunky and not refined at all. Note, the real P1 has two different sets of headlight housing. One of the housings has a reflector section at the inside, a rectangular LED strip in the middle, and a circular projector housing at the very outside edge. It also has a LED strip that runs the length of the housing on top. The other housing has a projector housing towards the middle of the car, then a rectangular LED strip in the middle and a circular projector housing at the very edge.

TSM only has two circular pieces in the middle stuck together. The LED strip on the top is not defined either. The headlights on the

Autoart’s headlights are not much better. There are at least three sections, although each looks like a dot with no details whatsoever. The LED strip is painted over the lens, which is a disaster in and of itself. Even though they improved it by painting it thinner than the first release, it still is not ideal.

The carbon weave on the Autoart looks better on the exterior of the car, but the carbon weave used on the interior the

The wheels and the brakes are better on the Autoart. The brake rotor on the TSM looks like a plastic dish because of its smooth silver paint. The spoke of the rims on the TSM is very thin and detailed, but the rear wheel lacks the concaveness. Autoart did a better job.

Stance wise, I like how the TSM sits lower in the front. However, at the back, the TSM exhibits slight positive camber while the Autoart has negative camber. In my opinion, they should balance out each other and have the rear wheels sit flush to the fender with no camber.

Shut-lines and gaps are close between the two. I think TSM actually has better shut-line where the front bonnet meets the door. Having said that, Autoart did improve a lot over their first release of the P1 where absolutely nothing aligned on most of the examples.

Overall, the Autoart is more refined. There is mesh under the front air lower ducts and under the opening in the front bonnet. The mesh on the back is finer as well. Even though I think the TSM looks better with the larger honeycomb mesh at the back.

Quality control and what I don’t like:

Quality control on both is iffy. Because I bought the TSM P1 used, I can’t complain too much.

On the TSM, there is a small part missing on the carbon weave on the front lip. Carbon weave on the rear right triangle window is not applied properly. Doors do stay open but one side clicks in one side does not. One side opens higher than the other. Operation is very fragile. I will not be opening it ever again. On my example, the wheels do not steer. There are a couple of small paint chips but at least they are not in obvious places. My biggest gripe against TSM is their choice of material for the clear plastic window. They are hotwheels quality. They are not smooth and completely clear. If you have a TSM diecast, look closely and you will notice ripples throughout, wavy and a tad translucent. Autoart’s use of material for the clear windows is second to none.

On my Autoart example, the paint is not completely clean, has slight black specs that are stuck in the paint. There are slight paint runs on a few of the edges. There are minimal paint chips, especially where the left door meets the bonnet. The left door is slightly misaligned with the rear engine cover at the top. The biggest flaw is the little triangle piece between the windshield and the front left door at the top (where the hinge of the door is) does not sit flush to the windshield. If you look closely at the photos it is stuck upwards. Needless to say, this model is getting returned.

On the Autoart, I obviously don’t like that it is plastic. I don’t like the engine. My biggest concern is the operation of the rear spoiler. On my example, one of the struts is tight but the other is extremely loose. I couldn’t even fit the spoiler into the strut. I had to use TSM stationery wing on the Autoart. The spoiler, should it install properly stands lower than the TSM. I like how TSM’s wing sits so high.

Price:

I am not going there as both models cost a substantial amount nowadays. I should’ve bought the TSM P1 when it first came out. It is now very rare and price has skyrocketed. As for Autoart, being plastic it should cost half of what it retails for.

Overall, I am actually more impressed with the Autoart. Aside from it being plastic and the wing sitting so low when propped, I think it is the better made model.

Now onto the photos. Hope you guys enjoy.

And the obligatory McLaren F1 joins the group!

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Review: Autoart P1 Volcano Orange Vs TSM P1 Amethyst Bla

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Nice comparison, thanks for taking the time to complete the write-up. Do you mind if I publish it? TIA

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Nice review and pictures. I agree the AutoArt P1 is not perfect but still the best in 1:18.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Very good review. I still have hope that I can make the autoart P1's engine half decent

MysteriousRJC

Post by MysteriousRJC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Very nice review. I personally like the P1 simply because the colour pops a lot more. But that is one of the better black models that I have seen even though I’m a newbie to collecting

blackvitzrs

Post by blackvitzrs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Nice comparison, thanks for taking the time to complete the write-up. Do you mind if I publish it? TIA
Yes, please go ahead to publish it. Thank you.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am

blackvitzrs wrote:
[KRAFTIG] wrote:Nice comparison, thanks for taking the time to complete the write-up. Do you mind if I publish it? TIA
Yes, please go ahead to publish it. Thank you.
Thanks. You have been moved to "Contributor" status.

Return to “Model Reviews”