Review: Autoart 86 vs. Kyosho Samurai BRZ

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
Mr.Impreza

Review: Autoart 86 vs. Kyosho Samurai BRZ

Post by Mr.Impreza » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:30 pm

So, I finally got my first Kyosho Resin model today and spoiler......I was blown away.

Now, this will be a amateur review so you have been warned :lol:

So, when comparing the 2 models. For me I prefer the Kyosho and here is why.

The paint firstly is much more superior compared to the Autoart. Also, I find small details are better on the Kyosho....the best way I can describe this is by saying that the Kyosho looks like a "Real" car shrunken down while the Autoart looks like a Toy Car that resembles a real car.

Maybe confusing what I mean, but to the eye, the Kyosho model looks more realistic than the Autoart.

My wife also pointed out that it pops more and catches the eye much quicker than the Autoart. I'm assuming this is due to the paint quality.

Also, I love the weight and feel of the Kyosho model over the Autoart. The Kyosho model feels expensive, while the Autoart creaks and feels like it will break.

Now of course the BRZ is Resin so nothing opens....but this is my first ever Resin model and I'm honestly blown away. I don't understand the hate towards Resin, as for me they seem way more superior in quality. Now, this is for the Kyosho Samurai line. I'm assuming there is bad Resin models out there.

The Autoart model is nice though in it's own way since you have the engine bay and opening doors and all so of course if you want those features than Diecast is the way to go.
But when I put them side by side, Kyosho wins for me visually.

I'm confident in buying more Kyosho Samurai now and suggest others who are on the fence to do so also! You won't be disappointed!
In fact I have already ordered a Yellow BRZ and a Red Mazda Roadster (Miata) :D

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Review: Autoart 86 vs. Kyosho Samurai BRZ

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks for sharing.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Hmm I'd still take the autoart. I think I've only ever bought resins twice. First time I didn't know they didn't have opening parts. Completely baffled, I went back to the store immediately and returned it. Then I gave them another chance a few years later. I was equally unimpressed and sold it a few days later. It comes down to what you value in a model. In my opinion, a "replica" must be exactly that. In as many ways as possible, it should do what the 1/1 does. The resins are like 3D pictures. I just don't get satisfaction of any kind from them. I wouldn't mind taking one apart and maybe using donor parts to improve the diecast. Also since I modify all my diecasts, the engine heavily, there's no entertainment value.

I think this one is a sealed diecast though, not a resin?

Mr.Impreza

Post by Mr.Impreza » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am

StratosWRC wrote:Hmm I'd still take the autoart. I think I've only ever bought resins twice. First time I didn't know they didn't have opening parts. Completely baffled, I went back to the store immediately and returned it. Then I gave them another chance a few years later. I was equally unimpressed and sold it a few days later. It comes down to what you value in a model. In my opinion, a "replica" must be exactly that. In as many ways as possible, it should do what the 1/1 does. The resins are like 3D pictures. I just don't get satisfaction of any kind from them. I wouldn't mind taking one apart and maybe using donor parts to improve the diecast. Also since I modify all my diecasts, the engine heavily, there's no entertainment value.

I think this one is a sealed diecast though, not a resin?
I also was second guessing it being a resin model since I can't feel the difference haha, but apparently it is Resin. They even say so in the description.
http://dc.kyosho.com/en/samurai.html?dc_brand=860

Anyways, yeah I understand where your coming from and I understand why many prefer models like Autoart. For me though, I display a model and don't really touch it often if ever once it's on display.

I have some Autoart Subaru's and I don't even remember the last time I took them out of the display to open the doors etc...

Anyways we all have our tastes so all good :D

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:43 am

Mr.Impreza wrote: For me though, I display a model and don't really touch it often if ever once it's on display.
Honestly, be glad you're that way. It's a blessing lol. I am way too picky and all the worse off for it

Return to “Model Reviews”