Going crazy trying to settle on scale !

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
luft911

Going crazy trying to settle on scale !

Post by luft911 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Hey Guys ,
I'm new here so I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before . I've mainly collected 1/18 scale with the odd 1/12 model thrown in , but recently stumbled upon the Make Up Vision and Eidolon 1/43 models ( Porsches ) and was very impressed . Rather than use any rational thought to the whole thing I go on a world wide hunt for the models I've seen on-line and begin buying up a storm . In the last week the packages start to arrive and I'm blown away by the detail , but start to cast my eyes over at the display cases with the larger models and start asking myself what I'm doing . I think I've bought a dozen of the Make Up models which averaged out to something like $275 each and now I'm thinking of keeping 3 or 4 and pulling the plug on it . My initial thought was just to buy the '74 Martini Turbo RSR #22 and leave it at that , but - well, you know the rest of it . I did find the sister car #21 , but the one I went looking for I never did find . So how common is this form of madness ? Some really hard to find Make Up Porsche models are about to hit the market ! YIKES !
Regards,
Bryan

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Going crazy trying to settle on scale !

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

I've struggled with this myself... At one point I wanted to go 1:43 due to the vast assortment of themes. Then the shift went to 1:12 scale. With 1:43 the level of detail did not meet my needs. With 1:12 I did like the overall model but the footprint each model took ate up a lot of display space. In the end, I settled on 1:18, a good balance of both worlds. Good luck!

luft911

Post by luft911 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:41 pm

^ I love the 1/12 stuff too even though 95% of my models are 1/18 . The 1/12 Spark Porsche 911 RSR Pink Pig special edition of 300 was my latest add . Gorgeous model . Now I'm trying to decide on 4 of the Make Up 1/43's Porsches to keep and let the other 8 go , Not going to be easy - they make amazing models . I'm still going to keep up the hunt for the EM288A '74 Martini Turbo RSR . Gotta have it !

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Your themes and scales may continue to change as time passes, that is okay. Just enjoy the process of collecting!

Yeow Yi Fan

Post by Yeow Yi Fan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:20 pm

I started from 1:64, as most people do. Once I started working, I 'up-scaled' to 1:18. I knew the existence of 1:43 but to me they are more enlarged 1:64 and less reduced 1:18, as weird as that sounds. Also I never came across any 1:43 with opening features so I basically stuck with 1:18 I guess.

1:12 was never in the subconscious of my collecting mind because it is simply too large. My missus will not approve of it. I think she can appreciate 1:18 more and the occasional 1:64 if the subject matter has some significance from her childhood, i.e. a Tomica Limited Vintage Toyota Crown :rotfl:

I actually once considered 1:43 because the assortments are just vast! Doing so would come at the cost of expenses and I cannot afford the space to display all.

If life was more ideal, this is how I would do:
1:12 for motoring legends and icons only so as to limit how much I collect (A Minichamps 1977 Porsche 911 Turbo will not qualify... :deal: )
1:18 as the default scale
1:43 for models not available in 1:18 and has a common theme

luft911

Post by luft911 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Well - with the passage of a few more days and more packages coming in from around the globe I'm starting to second guess my foray into 1/43 . I have run down a lot of the models I put on a '' must have '' list and have to admit Make Up does an incredible job , but I think I'm going to veer back over to 1/18 . Wish I had taken a little more time to consider this move before shelling out almost 4K over the last month or so . I even have new releases coming from Japan right now ! I may hold onto 3 or 4 of my favorites and sell the others .

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Nice to see your settling in. $4000 grand hey, wow!

luft911

Post by luft911 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm

^ It blows my mind how expensive these little things are - they are like little jewels . I managed to find 3 of the 4 935's they did and I'll probably keep them to display alongside their 1/18 counterparts . Exoto did the twins of the J.M.S X-Ray , and Brumos '78 Daytona winner . Not sure on the Martini #40 '76 LM winner or the Jagermeister #7 I have although they did do another # and maybe year/type .

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 pm

My advice, take it slow... This hobby is like cocaine!

seppuku

Post by seppuku » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:32 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:My advice, take it slow... This hobby is like cocaine!
More like Meth...Loss of Appetite while collecting.... :D

seppuku

Post by seppuku » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 am

luft911 wrote:^ It blows my mind how expensive these little things are - they are like little jewels . I managed to find 3 of the 4 935's they did and I'll probably keep them to display alongside their 1/18 counterparts . Exoto did the twins of the J.M.S X-Ray , and Brumos '78 Daytona winner . Not sure on the Martini #40 '76 LM winner or the Jagermeister #7 I have although they did do another # and maybe year/type .
Just stick with 1/43 and Make Up amongst others... ;)

luft911

Post by luft911 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 pm

^ I'm coming around to keeping 4 or 5 and selling off the others . The only 2 that I did pay an extra $75 for were 935's and I'm going keep both of them so it shouldn't impact what I laid out for them too badly .

luft911

Post by luft911 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Hey Guys ,
I guess I had Divine intervention ; I made up an ad putting a few of the MU models for sale and sold one , but then magically the ad is gone ! I think somebody is trying to tell me something ! I had a box arrive today with the new GT-1 '96 LM winner , a Martini 935 and a Jagermeister 934 and am just blown away by the detail and finish on these models . ''Making '' me re-think selling them . Need to get a decent camera again to take some pics after my Nikon bit the dust .
Regards,
Bryan

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:01 pm

luft911 wrote:Hey Guys ,
I guess I had Divine intervention ; I made up an ad putting a few of the MU models for sale and sold one , but then magically the ad is gone ! I think somebody is trying to tell me something ! I had a box arrive today with the new GT-1 '96 LM winner , a Martini 935 and a Jagermeister 934 and am just blown away by the detail and finish on these models . ''Making '' me re-think selling them . Need to get a decent camera again to take some pics after my Nikon bit the dust .
Regards,
Bryan
LOL it was not divine intervention, it was moderator intervention :) Please read the classified rules and guidelines. Cheers!

luft911

Post by luft911 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Well - whatever was wrong I guess you saved me from myself . The one model I sold was to a friend and I asked him if we could nix the deal - he was OK with that . In the flurry of orders that came in from around the globe I had a hippy 917 arrive looking like someone stepped on it and while I got a refund on it I didn't replace it - guess I'm going to now . I started to have second thoughts with the announcement of the 911 SC/RS featured on the home page a few days ago so I'll go ahead with a few pre-orders and hunt down the last model or two from older runs I hadn't found . It's nice that other than the limited run models Make Up does reissue models at regular intervals so you really don't have to go too nuts about not finding anything . Nice to know when someone offers a model to you at over $900 that was $250 on issue - wait a couple years and get one at whatever the new one costs .

Return to “General Discussion”