Is this another nail in eBay's coffin?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
[KRAFTIG]

Is this another nail in eBay's coffin?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:33 pm

I personally think they are the devil and have had a major hand in destroying this great hobby on the whole. Your thoughts?
In 2018, PayPal and eBay worked together to implement a solution to comply with laws that require eBay to collect and remit tax on applicable transactions. Those transactions that require eBay to collect tax are currently divided into two separate charges - one for the item purchased and another for the associated tax.

Effective November 2019, PayPal and eBay will change the way these transactions are processed and how taxes are collected and remitted.

For transactions that require eBay to collect tax from buyers, the tax amount will be included in the gross purchase amount to be processed. Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority

Yeow Yi Fan

Re: Is this another nail in eBay's coffin?

Post by Yeow Yi Fan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 pm

Hmm... considering my locale and options. eBay is still my preferred medium but this will surely make me less impulsive? Hehe~

This will damage ANY hobby, even stamps!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:24 pm

This will damage ANY hobby, even stamps!
Sure, though I have no perspective to provide. I did collect hockey cards back in the day... eBay was non-significant then...

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:18 am

Based on a US Supreme Court ruling, not much they can do but comply.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:28 am

Oldtimer wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:18 am
Based on a US Supreme Court ruling, not much they can do but comply.
Uncle Sam needs to get their share :money: :money:

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:55 am

Actually it was States that collect local sales tax that sued interstate sellers, where there was unfair price competition, once the local tax was applied.

Having worked in the financial side of local government in the past, I view the change as a two-edged sword. Yes, certainly consumers will feel it in their pocketbook, however now local merchants can compete on a level field.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am

Oldtimer wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:55 am
Actually it was States that collect local sales tax that sued interstate sellers, where there was unfair price competition, once the local tax was applied.

Having worked in the financial side of local government in the past, I view the change as a two-edged sword. Yes, certainly consumers will feel it in their pocketbook, however now local merchants can compete on a level field.
It just seems the premise of eBay's original plan is lost. In honesty, it was lost many years ago... It was once a good resource to find, buy and sell. It is now just like any other corporate retailer, however, some, believe their "greed" is much higher than average. Due diligence is definitely required when purchasing anything there, even more so after the deadline.

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am

Texas consumers now paying sales tax on most online purchases

www.thecentersquare.com

Texas shoppers who make online purchases from out-of-state retailers are now paying taxes on most of the transactions.

Since Oct. 1, Texas has required out-of-state retailers to charge consumers the state's sales tax. The Lone Star State joined the cadre of states that implement an online sales tax after a 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in South Dakota vs. Wayfair.

Under the ruling, states could force out-of-state businesses to require residents to pay local and state sales taxes. Texas followed California and New York’s leads after the two states adjusted their respective rules earlier this year.

For quite some time, online shoppers in Texas were able to avoid sales taxes because of a decades-long loophole. The Texas Legislature patched the loophole during its last session.

Texas’s large geographical size and various combinations of local taxes prompted Austin to allow businesses to collect a flat eight percent on purchases. However, online companies that already collect state taxes are prevented from imposing the flat eight percent rate.

According to the state Comptroller, Texas state government will bring in an estimated additional $500 million a year in sales taxes from transactions that previously did not require a sales tax.

A spokesman for the state Comptroller’s office said that retailers that start to abide by the Oct. 1 policy have the choice to administer the actual combined state and local rates or the flat eight percent rate itself. Businesses cannot change the rate once they decide upon it.

Not all retailers are expected to implement sales taxes. Those that have sold a minimum of $500,000 worth of goods to Texas in the past year must start collecting sales taxes while smaller companies are still exempt.

Residents who purchase items from in-state retailers will not see any changes.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:25 pm

I just got dinged taxes on a purchase I sent to New York State from California :(

wotda

Post by wotda » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:25 am

Not just in the states. In oz thanks to our former prime minister and his mate who is now the current prime minister. Anything that is purchased overseas are taxed with the GST. It use to be anything below 1000 AUD is exempt. So now a lot of the local online shops have no more overseas competition, hence the price is increased more.

Only made 1 purchase that is from overseas from ebay in the last 12 months. And that purchase was part of the 10% off code thingy. Yet they collected the tax for the government as if was the original price. I question this on there contacts and there response was it was the fee, wtf? Plus you get taxed for the shipping cost ha!

What makes it worse in buying from ebay in oz these days, we only get these stupid 3% off "selected items but discount amount is capped at #100" compare to what ebay has in the US or UK which is 20% off everything.

It all goes down to the greed from both sides. The corporates like ebay care about profits and if you have problems you get transferred to robo emails or an indian call centre who are just reading from a script to discourage you or making it difficult to escalate things further. For the government all they care about is the revenue collected from these taxes. It helps them cover up the mismanagement(looking at you Australian Liberal Party) and top up their own retirement fund.

100% agree on due diligence is definitely required.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks for the perspective.

PS - My sister is visting Australia all month following U2 around your country. Talk about passion!

Return to “General Discussion”