Warning to those that own IKEA Detolf cabinets....

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
seppuku

Warning to those that own IKEA Detolf cabinets....

Post by seppuku » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Yep, happened to me....Was awaken around 6AM, and just exploded without any indication/warning...

There have been numerous cases reported elsewhere...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... -room.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 039347.amp

IKEA needs to pull these off their shelves immediately...

Good news is none of my models were harmed.... :D

StratosWRC

Re: Warning to those that own IKEA Detolf cabinets....

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Hmm. None of my detolf panels exploded but this happened to a klingsbo when I was putting it together by tapping two edges of panels, one of which proceeded to explode. Maybe you had a mini earthquake happening and the vibration burst the glass? You're in Cali I see, so that's not beyond the realms of possibility

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Got 16(!) of those here. And almost all of them with more shelves added as well. Never had any broken glass (touching wood now).

Maybe you tied up the screws too tight on the top and/or bottom, making the glass panels bending? Or stacking stuff on top of the cabinets? The top part is resting on the glass and is not made to carry (much) weight.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Wow, that's nuts! I'm sure that made your heart race this morning. Based on the attache articles this is not a one-off episode. Did the collection make it through unscathed?

seppuku

Post by seppuku » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:28 pm

StratosWRC wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 pm
Hmm. None of my detolf panels exploded but this happened to a klingsbo when I was putting it together by tapping two edges of panels, one of which proceeded to explode. Maybe you had a mini earthquake happening and the vibration burst the glass? You're in Cali I see, so that's not beyond the realms of possibility

I checked the news... no mention of any earthquakes...
Marcel171281 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm
Got 16(!) of those here. And almost all of them with more shelves added as well. Never had any broken glass (touching wood now).

Maybe you tied up the screws too tight on the top and/or bottom, making the glass panels bending? Or stacking stuff on top of the cabinets? The top part is resting on the glass and is not made to carry (much) weight.
Yes, perhaps ...

I’ve had these cabinets for 4 years now, So if it was going to give way, it would’ve been around the beginning...
[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 pm
Wow, that's nuts! I'm sure that made your heart race this morning. Based on the attache articles this is not a one-off episode. Did the collection make it through unscathed?
Yes, other than a few minor surface scratches on the outer boxes, all the models came out fine ...:),

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Good to hear! So what are the plans? Repair and move forward with the cases or go in a new direction?

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:30 am

Oh no! I just picked up two of these cabinets and now I am worried. :o

Could it be that the top wood panel was screwed down too tightly? I figure if IKEA didn't make them properly, the glass could be "sandwiched" between the upper and lower wood sections and put stress on the glass if it's too tight. When I get home I am going to loosen up the top sections and hope for the best.

They are relatively cheap shelves, though, and so long as all the glass panels don't break at once the whole unit will stay upright and the cars won't be harmed on the shelves.

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to the theory of tightening the top and bottom panels, I didn't read all the posts. I think that's the likely issue, but who knows really.

seppuku

Post by seppuku » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:34 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 pm
Good to hear! So what are the plans? Repair and move forward with the cases or go in a new direction?

Discard both cabinets and move on....:)
SPhilli911 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:30 am
Oh no! I just picked up two of these cabinets and now I am worried. :o

Could it be that the top wood panel was screwed down too tightly?

Possibly...

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Also keep in mind that the construction is making all the weight on the shelves hanging on the top wooden panel. The metal rods are hanging from the top and there is no futher support, so every extra pound in the cabinet is basically pressing the top of the glass panels down and potentially bending them.

Better filling the cabinets with plastic Autoart models. Less weight is better for the detolfs.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Better filling the cabinets with plastic Autoart models. Less weight is better for the detolfs.
LOL, low blow AUTOart :rotfl:

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 am

Marcel171281 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm
Also keep in mind that the construction is making all the weight on the shelves hanging on the top wooden panel. The metal rods are hanging from the top and there is no futher support, so every extra pound in the cabinet is basically pressing the top of the glass panels down and potentially bending them.

You might be right, I think a better design of the shelf would have been to have absolutely no structural support from the glass. In other words, a better metal rod structure inside and the glass rested on the outside only.

I don't think the design is too poor, though, in fact I think the metal rods do most of the support of the shelves still, but don't account for shift in the top and bottom putting pressure on the glass. So long as the metal rods are in place from the top and bottom wood panels, the shelves are fine.

I unscrewed mine from the top wood panel a bit, to alleviate pressure. But then there is still the worry that by loosening it up it can shift the whole unit (mine are on carpet) and distort the glass.

On the plus side, I can't see the entire unit failing and damaging the cars. If anything, one glass panel might shatter, but the shelves can't fall unless the metal rods somehow also fail. I am over thinking this! But I have 26 models between 2 cabinets right now displayed. :shock:

Return to “General Discussion”