BMW Art Cars

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
luft911

BMW Art Cars

Post by luft911 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi Guys ,
I've gone on the hunt for a few of my favorite Art Cars and more than any other models I've looked for see a huge range on what they are priced at . I have a sense of the ones that are so far off the charts that they are likely to never be sold , but wondered if there was any sort of rule of thumb for pricing on them ? Some of the less popular street cars don't seem to be that much in demand while race cars are - which makes sense . I have come across a few complete collections with all models new in the box , but I'd say there are only maybe 5 or 6 that I'd really like to acquire . Even at with premiums on the individual models it doesn't add up to buying a collection of models most of which don't interest me . Any thoughts out there ?
Regards,
Bryan

ihorses

Re: BMW Art Cars

Post by ihorses » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Thoughts on what? You will always pay more for individual pieces than for entire set. All Art Cars were released as a limited edition of 3,000 pieces each. Some are more in demand because they look better than others, some because they have significant racing achievement associated with them, some just done by the artist people like.
Be prepared to pay pretty penny for Warhol's M1, Lichtenstein 320i, Stella and Calder CSLs, Koons M3, and to a lesser degree Done, Chia, and Nelson's M3s. If you can get the entire collection (all 17 cars) in excellent shape with all boxes, books, and everything for less than $8K, I'd say go for it.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:50 pm

The most accurate prices you're going to get are on ebay. Simply refine your search to sold listings, and you'll see a pattern. Whereas existing listings could range from $500 to $5000, sold listings usually are only separated by a couple hundred at most.

luft911

Post by luft911 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks guys . I was surprised at the wide discrepancy on the price for the same model - not so much that some are bringing a lot more than others based on what they are or who the artist was . It does seem there are more to be found overseas and at better prices than in the States or Canada .

luft911

Post by luft911 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:04 pm

I'm seeing Stella , Calder , Lichtenstein new in the box from $400 to $550 - sound about right ? Have not seen a Koons for sale yet .

ihorses

Post by ihorses » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Yup, sounds about right. Be ready to pay $750-900 for Warhol M1, and close to that for Koons M3.

Return to “General Discussion”