Help with HUGE collection

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
Jaybird

Help with HUGE collection

Post by Jaybird » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 am

Hi there.
I’m not a collector or even an enthusiast. I created an account hoping to get some sound advice from the good folks on this forum. My father in law passed away and we have undertaken the ominous task of cleaning out his house to prepare for an estate sale and sell the home. Much to the surprise of my wife and me, he was an obsessive collector of die cast model cars (and war planes). We have found over 400 model cars. Every single one is in its original packaging and literally had never been touched. 100% pristine! Different styles sizes and brands. Some really neat stuff! We gathered up as many as we can find and have separated them from the estate sale. Thinking they might have some value and are worried how that might get carelessly absorbed into the folks we’ve hired to do the estate sale.
The thing is, we have no clue where to start. And we don’t have the time to list these individually. It would be nice to find a collector to come take it off our hands

Any advise? I’ll see if I can figure out how to load some pics.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jay

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Help with HUGE collection

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:00 am

Hi, welcome to DS! Sorry for the loss. I believe the topic has been discussed before and opinions will vary... Try the search feature.

If you have the time, do the research, find the value and sell each piece individually for the best possible price. Remember, a model is only worth what someone else is willing to pay... Don't sucked into the game where he said she said... eBay is a good starting point, you can search from specific models at what they sold from not what someone thinks it's worth.

If you don't have the time, find a 3rd party source to sell. An auction house or scale model retailer via the brick and mortar location, some of these shops buy complete collections. Good luck!

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Ok thank you. The sheer quantity is really ominous. I may call around my general area to try to find some interest in buying the collection

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:36 am

Jaybird wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm
Ok thank you. The sheer quantity is really ominous. I may call around my general area to try to find some interest in buying the collection
you still might lose thousands and thousands if you go that way. As KRAFTIG mentioned, look at the box. If it says "GMP Chevelle" then type that into ebay search and filter your results to "sold listings". That'll give you an idea. If you want, post a few overall pics for us just so we know what you have. We could let you know if it's worth the trouble.

sg207ptg

Post by sg207ptg » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:44 am

New member here but long time collector of diecast and handbuilt model cars... Very sorry for your loss.

If you want to talk to a 3rd party consignment reseller, I can give you a couple names. One in New Jersey would be ideal for diecasts and one in California could help if the models are handbuilts.

Return to “General Discussion”