AutoArt Alternative?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
CobraKing27

AutoArt Alternative?

Post by CobraKing27 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:59 pm

I have always wanted high-quality diecast cars. I found this nice Mclaren P1 by AutoArt that I am considering purchasing but I am nervous about the price for essentially a plastic model. I have looked at countless others but they either don't have the same looks or don't have the same features. Does anyone know if there is a high-quality brand similar to AutoArt?

StratosWRC

Re: AutoArt Alternative?

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:19 pm

Depends on the model. The P1 has only been done by Almost Real I believe, at least in opening form, and also only the GTR, not the road version. There are plenty of sealed models by TSM and maybe someone else.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:53 am

Always rate a particular model on how important it is to have the best possible replica. In this case, picking are slim. AUTOart composite isn't horrible, and most supercars are close to composite than metal ;)

CobraKing27

Post by CobraKing27 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:41 pm

I might just buy the AutoArt P1 then. I love that you can remove the engine bay cover. It's amazing the little intricacies it has, like the linear actuators in the frunk and the charging ports.

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:34 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:53 am
AUTOart composite isn't horrible, and most supercars are close to composite than metal ;)
Exactly!!

I still don't get it why people call metal models better quality. What people call 'die-cast' is actually a material called Zamak, which is a Zinc alloy (die-casting is a way to fill the mold under high pressure and has nothing to do with being metal). Zamak is the cheapest and one of the worst metal alloys possible. It is cheap, full of impurities which most likely come to the surface and give the known paint rash. Or worse, the alloy is comtaminated, giving zinc pest over time. It is also very weak in terms of strength, making it not to difficult to break doors hinges etc. The only reason they use it for toys is because it is cheap and has a very low melting point, making it easy to die-cast. But yet, collectors think this is quality, because is weighs more than ABS plastic. It makes absolutely no sense at all! :doh:

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:37 am

CobraKing27 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:41 pm
I might just buy the AutoArt P1 then. I love that you can remove the engine bay cover. It's amazing the little intricacies it has, like the linear actuators in the frunk and the charging ports.
The engine is the weakest point of the model, but that has nothing to do with the choice between metal or plastic. Apart from the engine, the model is :okay:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:01 am

Marcel171281 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:37 am
CobraKing27 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:41 pm
The engine is the weakest point of the model, but that has nothing to do with the choice between metal or plastic. Apart from the engine, the model is :okay:
Agreed! DS review:

https://diecastsociety.com/review-autoart-mclaren-p1/

As for alternatives, I believe TSM issued one, however the rear is sealed, with no access to the motor.

CobraKing27

Post by CobraKing27 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I feel a lot better about buying it now. The red one is $198 on amazon.

Emily the Strange

Post by Emily the Strange » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:40 pm

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with AutoArt.

So I have a bunch of AutoArt models that I left behind in Asia when I moved to UK. Last year when my brother came to visit he brought some of my 1:18 cars out to me. 4 of them were my AutoArts, 3 Maistos and a Hot Works. They're all at least 15 years old, and my Autoart models were more or less still mint. The Maistos a couple had minor paint bubbling and the Hot Works had some paint fading on the plastic bits. I probably won't be financially in a position to buy Autoarts anymore, but the ones I already have, I'm glad I do.

Packard Fan

Post by Packard Fan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Must agree on the matter of Zamac , remember back years ago h.o model Locomotive kits used
Zamac for boilers and drive wheeels it would literally crumble after a number of years, my thought is the newer composites now finding their way into model cars is a vastly superior product to diecast Metal .
Yes the weight is nice and gives one a sense of security but I’d much prefer the latter to the former!

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 am

CobraKing27 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:59 pm
I have always wanted high-quality diecast cars. I found this nice Mclaren P1 by AutoArt that I am considering purchasing but I am nervous about the price for essentially a plastic model. I have looked at countless others but they either don't have the same looks or don't have the same features. Does anyone know if there is a high-quality brand similar to AutoArt?
I have Corvette "diecast models" that have metal bodywork and plastic chassis. Let that sink in for a second.

DisposableApple

Post by DisposableApple » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:56 am

The consensus among collectors is that early composite models were poorly done as it had little experience with the new material. On the other hand, latest releases like Lamborghini Urus or Honda NSX (NA2) seem to be highly acclaimed thanks to their tight shutlines and overall improvement since then.

If you'd still rather buy something made of diecast, I'd suggest Almost Real and MotorHelix. However, they might excel AUTOart in key areas but not all areas. Personally I think no other brand does tires and rims better.

Return to “General Discussion”