General advice wanted

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
stevenmweiner

General advice wanted

Post by stevenmweiner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:09 pm

I am new to the hobby, having just started collecting 1:18 scale cars late last year. I'm still learning. From those of you with experience, I would like some general advice and tips. For example: What features do you look for to determine quality? What brands do you like, and what brands should I avoid? What brands provide good quality and good value for the money without breaking the bank? Any feedback would be much appreciated -- thanks very much!

mythic540

Re: General advice wanted

Post by mythic540 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:45 pm

I'm of the opinion that it depends on what you see as "quality". what you may find acceptable/unacceptable in terms of price/value/quality will vary between everyone, but for example in my case, i usually look for things like carpeting, high engine detail, open meshes, free spinning brake rotors in calipers, etc. Obviously the more detail the higher the price although that seems to be inconsistent with makers like Autoart lately where people have expressed their disapproval of cutting corners on some of their higher end models. A question you should ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend on any given model? Do you collect cars for the details or because you're just a huge fan of a particular model/brand? I used to be pretty happy with a big Maisto 1:18 collection i had a while back, but i sold them all out of necessity and just recently got back into collecting. Started with a couple Maisto's again but quickly found myself wanting better made models like what autoart offers. i've now collected a few autoarts but i am very particular of which ones i choose based on budget and how much detail a model has. For me, i couldnt see myself spending more than $200 on one unless it was for something on my unicorn list like the signature F1 GTR or Zonda R from them but not way over that limit either.

Anyways sorry for the long rant, hopefully, my words can help you somewhat.

stevenmweiner

Post by stevenmweiner » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks so much for your detailed reply and all the time you put into it -- no need to apologize! I very much appreciate all of your effort with it -- this is all very helpful to me, especially as a new hobbyist!

mythic540

Post by mythic540 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:22 pm

stevenmweiner wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm
Thanks so much for your detailed reply and all the time you put into it -- no need to apologize! I very much appreciate all of your effort with it -- this is all very helpful to me, especially as a new hobbyist!
No problem! I know what its like to see so many options out there and not really know whats worth the money. there's a lot of helpful reviews but a lot of them are usually for the more desirable models and brands so finding out about details on some unpopular ones can be daunting at first but be assured that this forum and others like diecastxchange are great places to search around for more info. Happy collecting!

stevenmweiner

Post by stevenmweiner » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 pm

Thanks again for your attention and thoughtful responses! Good luck in your collecting, too!

Return to “General Discussion”