White diecast models: Do they remain white ?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
VermillionRed

White diecast models: Do they remain white ?

Post by VermillionRed » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm

Hello fellow diecast collectors. I have a question regarding diecast cars that are painted white. Do they remain white? I have all my cars stored in their original boxes and are always in complete darkness (closet) . Does time and temperature affect their color? Do the decals begin to yellow ? Thank you for your feedback.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: White diecast models: Do they remain white ?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Not sure how to answer this. From my experience they do BUT my entire collection of 600+ is on display. I've heard but have not personally experienced this, models stored in original boxes, clam-style have had some sort of reaction and yellowing the white.

nick robson

Post by nick robson » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 am

VermillionRed wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm
I have a question regarding diecast cars that are painted white. Do they remain white? I have all my cars stored in their original boxes and are always in complete darkness (closet) . Does time and temperature affect their color? Do the decals begin to yellow ? Thank you for your feedback.
Plastic parts are more prone to changes over time, independent of color.

I have an old AutoArt Murcielago in orange whose air scoops and side skirts are now on a different shade of orange. I also have a Diablo 6.0 in orange with a slightly discolored front bumper, and it came like that from factory.

I've once seen pictures of a Lexus Is350 in pearl white for sale on eBay, and the bumpers looked beige on the photos.

Clear plastic parts such as windows and headlight lenses may also go either "milky" or yellow, although the latter is more likely to happen due to exposure to heat or sunlight.

On metal, I've only ever seen paint rash, and that is much worse of a problem than discoloration.

Decals can also go yellow or even peel off altogether. Also tampo print graphics, despite being more durable, may age and develop crazing and cracks.

I don't know for sure what causes all that, but temperature and air humidity are very likely to be culprits.

You store your models in their boxes and inside the closet, so they should be fine for a few years - although in my opinion it would be best to enjoy them on a display while they're still on their prime.

Boxed away or not, every model ages eventually, and paint discrepancies are only one of the of the possible effects.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:31 am

all my white models are still white, even some that are 20+ years old

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:58 am

I also have a Diablo 6.0 in orange with a slightly discolored front bumper, and it came like that from factory.
That's a totally different issue. The proper method of prepping metal versus plastic surfaces.

VermillionRed

Post by VermillionRed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:35 pm

nick robson wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 am
VermillionRed wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm
I have a question regarding diecast cars that are painted white. Do they remain white? I have all my cars stored in their original boxes and are always in complete darkness (closet) . Does time and temperature affect their color? Do the decals begin to yellow ? Thank you for your feedback.
Plastic parts are more prone to changes over time, independent of color.

I have an old AutoArt Murcielago in orange whose air scoops and side skirts are now on a different shade of orange. I also have a Diablo 6.0 in orange with a slightly discolored front bumper, and it came like that from factory.

I've once seen pictures of a Lexus Is350 in pearl white for sale on eBay, and the bumpers looked beige on the photos.

Clear plastic parts such as windows and headlight lenses may also go either "milky" or yellow, although the latter is more likely to happen due to exposure to heat or sunlight.

On metal, I've only ever seen paint rash, and that is much worse of a problem than discoloration.

Decals can also go yellow or even peel off altogether. Also tampo print graphics, despite being more durable, may age and develop crazing and cracks.
Thank you for your valuable input.

I don't know for sure what causes all that, but temperature and air humidity are very likely to be culprits.

You store your models in their boxes and inside the closet, so they should be fine for a few years - although in my opinion it would be best to enjoy them on a display while they're still on their prime.

Boxed away or not, every model ages eventually, and paint discrepancies are only one of the of the possible effects.

VermillionRed

Post by VermillionRed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:36 pm

@ Nick Robson thanks for your valuable input.

nick robson

Post by nick robson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:23 pm

VermillionRed wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:36 pm
@ Nick Robson thanks for your valuable input.
You're welcome!

Return to “General Discussion”