Ripping off others

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
Makinen

Ripping off others

Post by Makinen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi - I just wanted to have a general discussion about something that has had me thinking all day... Ripping off other collectors!

I don't want to give too much detail because I don't want to put anyone on the spot but I respect other collectors just like I would want to be respected. If there was anything in my power I could do to help any one of you out - I would definitely try. But I met one individual outside this forum who acquired some rare cars. This person who acquired them does not collect these types of cars (motorsports). They then turn around to myself who is an avid collector of these types of cars knowing I would drool at the chance to have them. Quoting some ridiculous prices (based off eBay pricing) trying to sell them to me. I wish I had that kind of money but I just don't so had to turn the offer down.

Now yesterday I bought 2 cars off someone on kijiji and upon conversing further with the seller - I found out it was him who sold the 2 rare cars that were offered to me. I asked him how much he sold them for and he told me $120 for each. A very fair price for sure. Now I was quoted $400 for one and $800 for the other by the person who bought the cars that were of no interest to that person.

What kind of a world do we live in where you turn around and screw people over for personal gain? I can understand you want me make a buck or two but this is insulting.

I may be shooting myself in the foot becuase I do understand that to each their own and what they want to charge should be their business. But when you're trying to make a quick buck off someone you know has been searching far and wide for these cars is plain wrong!

Any thoughts on this? Or am I just taking this to heart too much?

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Ripping off others

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Hey Makinen I truly understand your frustration I've been trying to source one of my last holy grails for years the Holden EFIJY Concept car. The car isn't that rare, over 6000 units produced, but today people are asking stupid money for them. It really comes down to simple economics of supply and demand, and in this hobby there are some individuals that take advantage for sure. If if the seller's original intent was to buy to resell to make a buck that's okay within reason. What he's quoting here is outrageous! You did the right thing by declining the offer, I applaud you for that :clap:

What models are you looking for, maybe I can help?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Oh, here a perfect example of what a$$hole can do to this hobby. I bet my life he bought these in from Europe when they were being sold/had than $75CND each. Checkout his use of RARE and asking price, oh FREE shipping! :shame: Cancer, nothing but cancer... :doh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-997 ... 1c34815679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-997 ... 1c34809f6d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GP246

Post by GP246 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:50 pm

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 am

GP, he's not looking for these. They were provided as an example of scrupulous character ;)

Makinen

Post by Makinen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks for your responses - I don't want to indicate the cars in this thread in case the person is also a member but @KRAFTIG, I will send you a PM.

Everyone is entitlted to make a quick buck or two but it's when they inflate the price beyond reason. eBay is no indicator (In my opinion) of what something is worth. There are a lot of extremely greedy people on eBay who think charging silly money for older model cars is ok. And eBay does have an extremely wide audience so they might find someone with deep pockets who's willing to fork out the money. But if you're selling something locally and looking for the same price, I would tell you to "go fly a kite"!

GP246

Post by GP246 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 am

This is the kind of example that makes me want to drop everything, but every time I said I'm going to find a better deal later.

We have to forget this kind of person, there will always be those who want to take advantage of others.

I understand your frustration it happened to me on some model too, I waited and I finally find the right deal.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 am

eBay is no indicator (In my opinion) of what something is worth.
Yup, a lot worse lately. Anyone else notice this lately?

Makinen

Post by Makinen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 am

Here's a perfect example:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AUTOART-1-18-FOR ... a77&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This very same model - I purchased off someone on kijiji for $50. I didn't even find the need to bargain because he was selling it for a very fair price and in mint condition. I buy models for personal satisfaction. Things like small marks on a box or something doesn't mean anything to me. I will eventually take them out of the box and display them. I do not buy models as investments. It's a pure passion which I will make sure my kids enjoy and continue.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 am

Things like small marks on a box or something doesn't mean anything to me. I will eventually take them out of the box and display them. I do not buy models as investments. It's a pure passion which I will make sure my kids enjoy and continue.
Well said! :clap: :clap: :clap:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:04 am

I think I saw the Autoart Mercedes 600 LWB Pullman on ebay for about 1700 dollars? Insane.

Return to “General Discussion”