Accuracy to Original: Mercedes SLs (Gullwing and others)

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
SilverSpear

Accuracy to Original: Mercedes SLs (Gullwing and others)

Post by SilverSpear » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:42 am

Hey guys,

New enthusiast for diecast models and this forum but a huge motorhead in real life.
I own a bunch of cars and need to complement them with some minis.

I do own some Mercedes SLs (1:1) like the 113, 107, 129 and the 231 (yeah cannot afford the Gullwing and working right now on the 230)...

For the miniatures, I have always considered NOREVs and currently own a w113 (White), an R129 (Light Silver), another K&K 129 (Limited Ed), a Maisto Premiere (500K), a DNA Collectibles Subaru SVX, and I have two more NOREVs coming my way, a GTC and an SLS.

For the centre piece, I need a Gullwing but torn between the Minichamps and the NOREV. I am though open to other suggestions, if you guys recommend a better version from another manufacturer (i.e: someone who was able to duplicate the struts mechanism of the doors and the scale of the whole car?)

In the same context who makes the best version of the W107, R230 and R231 SLs in 1:18 scale?

Thanks

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Accuracy to Original: Mercedes SLs (Gullwing and others)

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:17 am

For the centre piece, I need a Gullwing but torn between the Minichamps and the NOREV. I am though open to other suggestions, if you guys recommend a better version from another manufacturer (i.e: someone who was able to duplicate the struts mechanism of the doors and the scale of the whole car?)
Hi, welcome to DS! I haven't seen the Norev in person but I do own the hardtop and convertible versions by Minichamps. Fans always had an issue with the overall trueness of body lines with the Minichamps. From what I've gathered the Norev is slightly better.

Where the Minchanps wins In my opinion is the overall refinement - the attention to details within the motor and interior side. Minichamps aren't cheap, as they are older and somewhat rare, and today they focus more on sealed or semi-sealed models, a far cry from where they came from. In short, the Norev seems the better choice for overall value.

SilverSpear

Post by SilverSpear » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:31 pm

Even though I have the opportunity to get the Minichamps at a very decent price, will pass on it and just get the Norev.

Thank you for that elaboration!

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:01 pm

the W107 was made by CMC, SunStar (both early cars) & Norev (later models).

I have the Norev, but switched the tires as the originals looked completely ridiculous (a common issue on older Norev molds). Later releases may have fixed this issue.

Minichamps, Maisto, Hot Works & Motormax (maybe?) made the R230. I have the Maisto SL55. Its an ok model.

Return to “General Discussion”