Assistance needed pls

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
Menotuk

Assistance needed pls

Post by Menotuk » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:08 pm

Hello, my father passed from brain cancer and left a MASSIVE 1:18 die cast collection. Approximately 120 of them. Im in the process of creating a spread sheet with pictures/ info/ model #/ additional info such as #in a small amt of models made etc. Im going to arrange them by manufacturer then serial # for easy navigation since it’s a large collection. Im assuming this is the correct way to organize them, if not pls let me know.

* Im needing help to find a home for these, of course the main thing is to find someone that’s going to actually appreciate them like my dad did. I’ve kept some of them, but I have no room for the other 120 that I have. I don’t want to sell them in a garage sale and have a little kid destroy it or somebody who’s not actually going to appreciate it. I also want to make sure that I’m getting the correct monetary value that my dad deserved to get. He believed these increase in value and some are fairly expensive, none are from the mint.*

I completely appreciate these cars and the stories behind them, he has a lot of race cars and of course sports cars.
Thank you!
Have a great day!
Last edited by Menotuk on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Assistance needed pls

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:10 pm

Sorry, for your loss.

The value of each is the condition and condition of the box/packaging and the rarity of the model. Where are you located in Canada? Your best bet is to sell as a complete group and use local classified.

StratosWRC

Re: Assistance needed pls

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:31 pm

Condolences for your loss.

Depending on what they are, it may be worthwhile to sell them as one big batch or one by one. Price difference with some rare pieces could be 10x if you sell them separately vs bulk. Cheaper models, better off selling them all in one go. There is no appraiser. Best appraisers are collectors and you're looking at them. Best thing you could do is snap a few pics of the whole collection and post them up here and we'll tell you approximately what value you're looking at.

Lastly, if you want to know the value of any particular piece, type in the brand name and model name (both can be found on the underside of the model) into ebay search field and filter your results to "sold" listings. That'll give you the current value.

Return to “General Discussion”