Best Option 1:18 GT3 RS 992 - Latest Gen?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
evo

Best Option 1:18 GT3 RS 992 - Latest Gen?

Post by evo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:26 pm

Hey - wondering what brand you might recommend for a really good rep of a Porsche GT3 RS, ~$500 max. I've seen some really good versions on Selection RS web but some models have also been snagged up fairly quick, especially the dealer only models. For the future, is there a way to track releases?

SPhilli911

Re: 1:18 GT3 RS

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:28 am

Depends on the generation GT3 RS you're interested in, but I would say the latest and greatest in 1/18 scale is the 992 gen GT3 RS from Norev. It's the cheapest and it has opening parts. Even if you still wanted to max out your budget of $500 I would still recommend the Norev over any others because it's readily available and in a nice selection of colors.

Sometimes the price of a model does not reflect the quality of the model, so I personally think the Spark dealer versions, for example, are not a good buy when the Norev models exist. That's my 2 cents at least. I have a few dealer Spark models in my collection, such as the 991.2 gen RS, because no one else made this model in 1/18 scale as far as I am aware.

As for tracking releases, I typically just browse model news sites like this one to get an idea on upcoming models or just keep an eye on store sites like CK-modelcars.de or Five Diecast to see new releases as soon as they become available.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:23 pm

Yes, please elaborate more on the gen?

evo

Post by evo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:41 pm

Thank you both for the replies. I’m looking for specifically the 992, latest gen.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:00 pm

SPhilli911 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:28 am
Sometimes the price of a model does not reflect the quality of the model, so I personally think the Spark dealer versions, for example, are not a good buy when the Norev models exist. That's my 2 cents at least. I have a few dealer Spark models in my collection, such as the 991.2 gen RS, because no one else made this model in 1/18 scale as far as I am aware.
100% agree with this. For me, if a good, reasonably priced opening model is available (Norev), a sealed resin Spark or Minichamps won't even be a consideration for me.

If you're looking for a 992 GT3RS, Norev is hard to beat.

evo

Post by evo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Totally agree that more expensive doesn’t always equate to better offerings and diminishing returns is a real thing. I have barely any experience with manufacturers outside of AutoArt and Kyosho.

I did just recently pick up a 992 GT3 Minichamps dealer edition for pretty cheap and think the quality is fantastic. Not sure I’m sold on the Norev after seeing a video - but honestly can’t compare value wise to a 4x more expensive model that isn’t vastly superior. I did read FuelMe is releasing their iteration in Jan. but the colors are really limited. Wish AutoArt would build one as their quality and use of materials has always been fantastic.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:11 pm

Gavin wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:00 pm
SPhilli911 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:28 am
100% agree with this. For me, if a good, reasonably priced opening model is available (Norev), a sealed resin Spark or Minichamps won't even be a consideration for me.

If you're looking for a 992 GT3RS, Norev is hard to beat.
I would agree. They are tough to beat :money: :money:

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:03 am

evo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:55 pm
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Totally agree that more expensive doesn’t always equate to better offerings and diminishing returns is a real thing. I have barely any experience with manufacturers outside of AutoArt and Kyosho.

I did just recently pick up a 992 GT3 Minichamps dealer edition for pretty cheap and think the quality is fantastic. Not sure I’m sold on the Norev after seeing a video - but honestly can’t compare value wise to a 4x more expensive model that isn’t vastly superior. I did read FuelMe is releasing their iteration in Jan. but the colors are really limited. Wish AutoArt would build one as their quality and use of materials has always been fantastic.
I also had a 992 GT3 Minichamps dealer edition and it was in fact good quality overall but also very expensive even though I got it at retail price. I replaced it with a Norev version as soon as those became available. Don't get me wrong, I do really like the dealer models from Spark or Minichamps, but I wish they were half the price is all.

I think it comes down to personal preference, really. I would be willing to sacrifice a slight bit of accuracy in favor of a model which has opening parts/ interior details for a good price. I can understand why some don't see the Norev as acceptable especially if you are looking for a display piece.

Sounds to me you might be happiest with the Spark version of the 992 GT3 RS, which are still available at retail at least in a few colors and I suspect there will be more colors coming soon in non-dealer packaging. They will be very similar to the 992 GT3 you have. Good luck and post some pictures once you make a decision!

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Best Option 1:18 GT3 RS 992 - Latest Gen?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:05 pm

, I do really like the dealer models from Spark or Minichamps, but I wish they were half the price is all.
Yes, that's all dealer greed! :money: :money:

evo

Post by evo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:25 pm

SPhilli911 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:03 am
evo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:55 pm

I also had a 992 GT3 Minichamps dealer edition and it was in fact good quality overall but also very expensive even though I got it at retail price. I replaced it with a Norev version as soon as those became available. Don't get me wrong, I do really like the dealer models from Spark or Minichamps, but I wish they were half the price is all.

I think it comes down to personal preference, really. I would be willing to sacrifice a slight bit of accuracy in favor of a model which has opening parts/ interior details for a good price. I can understand why some don't see the Norev as acceptable especially if you are looking for a display piece.

Sounds to me you might be happiest with the Spark version of the 992 GT3 RS, which are still available at retail at least in a few colors and I suspect there will be more colors coming soon in non-dealer packaging. They will be very similar to the 992 GT3 you have. Good luck and post some pictures once you make a decision!
You're probably right. Although I appreciate the opening doors and parts in my AutoArt models, most of them I just leave alone and barely interact with, in which case having more accuracy is probably ideal in my case. Pretty good insight.

There are more colors coming in non-dealer packaging? Is this fairly standard from their release cycles? Once I have a moment I'll upload an image of my GT3 from Minichamps, it's really solid.

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:25 am

evo wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:25 pm
There are more colors coming in non-dealer packaging? Is this fairly standard from their release cycles? Once I have a moment I'll upload an image of my GT3 from Minichamps, it's really solid.
While I don't know for sure there will be more colors coming, but that is usually the trend and as you said they would likely be available as non-dealer models and the price would be lower.

Return to “General Discussion”