Whither the Ferrari License next?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
Mac47

Whither the Ferrari License next?

Post by Mac47 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:13 am

With Mattel not renewing their license, what will happen for diecast F-cars? Will Kyosho have freer rein? Will AUTOart take a stab at some Ferraris? Will BBR resume its abandoned diecast versions (Enzo, F430)? Will we see more widespread and diversified manufacturers putting out one here, one there, as in the old days when Bburago, Maisto, Mira, and UT all made Ferraris?

I'm really hoping that we will see modern Ferraris made on the level of (if not actually BY) AUTOart Signature models. Classic and antique Ferraris are already well served by Exoto, CMC, and others. I'm hoping for a better F40 than Kyosho's, a good F50, 288 GTO, LaFerrari, and Testarossa. Maybe the P4/5...

Anyone have any news or speculation?

Gavin

Re: Whither the Ferrari License next?

Post by Gavin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 am

I thought I'd read on DX & the Pub that Maisto/Bburago got the exclusive.

I have no desire for AA to pick up the license. They make great models for sure, but Hot Wheels Elite's price point of generally under $100 really appeals to me.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 am

Call me a diecast snob, but I would have loved to see Autoart make them. It would have been a match made in heaven. It's unrealistic to wish for the Ferrari license to be available to everyone, but the reality of an exclusive license is that it often goes to a manufacturer that can afford it, who only cares about profit, and has no passion about their models, and is often a massive toy producer (like Mattel). Elite Ferraris were pretty good by the end, but it took years to get there, and I struggle to imagine Maisto/Bburago delivering the same product.

diecast

Post by diecast » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 am

Agree with Gavin , I guess Masito will going to launch new line or series like signature / Elite or something for the Ferrari line up with details to match with Elite from HW

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 am

Based on my insider information the Mattel group isn't out of the race yet, and I hope their not! They are the best bang for the buck in the industry. I don't care for the heritage line, Masito can have it, but I hope Elite stays as so.

Also I know AUTOart had a few meetings with Ferrari, and they are no where in the ballpark to get the contract. Worse case scenario if the rumors are true the new representative will be Kyosho with a reduced price point. :deal:

Mikey MKIV

Post by Mikey MKIV » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Well regardless of the make/model and how much I may desire the real car, I refuse to buy cheap versions with plastic wheels/tires/engines and interiors, so I hope more than just Maisto ends up with it. Of course there is the other end of the spectrum, MR, which sells for $400-$800 for no opening parts.

Why have I started ranting? Maybe I'm hungry. :rotfl:

Fulgura

Post by Fulgura » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:52 pm

AUTOart Ferrari models. What a dream. I agree with Mikey MKIV and StratosWRC's comments, i don't want to buy any less quality models than Autoart and don't pay ridiculous prices to a resin because it's made 10 in the world. I don't care how much it's made in the world, i just want to buy one because i like the model. But it looks like model market doesn't agree with me on this. MR and BBR pays the license immediately after the premiere of new 1:1 models and then make the model as fast as they can. Not like the Autoart, they made Koenigseggs, Paganis, Lamborghinis at least three years after the real one gets out. It looks like there's enough money to keep them afloat with this strategy.

Return to “General Discussion”