Are the rising prices affecting your buying habits?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
damnyouebay

Re: Are the rising prices affecting your buying habits?

Post by damnyouebay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:51 am

For sure it is, I am using way less than normal on the hobby because I refuse to pay asking price on new Autoart models.

The only new release I have bought this year is the Japan GP Skyline, and even with 10% discount and deducted EU tax I still ended up paying almost 200 euros shipped. Its simply not worth it, its like they come with ULTRA RARE ebay prices from the factory now.

My new found hobby of modifying models actually helps a lot, because I would buy a car, look at it and go "sweet", then off to the internet and look for something else. Now I mostly buy cars with modifying in mind, and spend a lot of time on them before the hunger for something new comes back.

I have bought 5 cars so far in 2016, but it looks like it will be only 6 by this time next month. So at around half of what I would normally get.

Buuuut, when the shops start dumping the currently new Autoart releases - and they will - I will buy a lot.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:55 am

Yes. That's what I'm thinking too. I buy a model as soon as it comes out and then beat myself up when it's heavily discounted. I will bide my time from now on.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:19 am

This is very much a first world problem lol.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:26 am

Haha ya you're right.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:09 pm

my dad always had a quote for people that complained about price hikes that in the "grand scheme" were not that big of a deal.

"Just drive past the beer store a few times and you will make up the difference"

still makes me laugh too this day. In some peoples case its " Just drive past Tim Hortons everyday and you will make up the difference". Average $3.00 a day is roughly $90.00 a month. Theres the difference for a hobby that you love, I gave up Tim Hortons everyday for this hobby and I actually didn't have too.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:19 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Yes. That's what I'm thinking too. I buy a model as soon as it comes out and then beat myself up when it's heavily discounted. I will bide my time from now on.
BUT there is also the flip side. Perfect example is the recent Green RWB Porsche. Initially listed at 99 Euro, now 299!

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:28 pm

Yes, but artificially increasing the value on resin models by releasing in very limited runs is very clever.

I am sure many bought this car without even wanting one, simply to flip it. Luckily for me I dont care about sealed models.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Canadian Wrench Head wrote:my dad always had a quote for people that complained about price hikes that in the "grand scheme" were not that big of a deal.

"Just drive past the beer store a few times and you will make up the difference"

still makes me laugh too this day. In some peoples case its " Just drive past Tim Hortons everyday and you will make up the difference". Average $3.00 a day is roughly $90.00 a month. Theres the difference for a hobby that you love, I gave up Tim Hortons everyday for this hobby and I actually didn't have too.
there are price hikes & then AA prices hikes.

The Mazda 787b was $125 when it came out...it has doubled.

For those fairly new to the hobby, I'm sure the prices aren't a big deal, they are what they are. For those of us who have been collecting 10+ years (30+ for me)...its frustrating to see prices double or more.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

Yes, but artificially increasing the value on resin models by releasing in very limited runs is very clever.
If you do this the diecast gods will get you! :tut:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Gavin wrote:
Canadian Wrench Head wrote:my dad always had a quote for people that complained about price hikes that in the "grand scheme" were not that big of a deal.

there are price hikes & then AUTOart prices hikes.

For those fairly new to the hobby, I'm sure the prices aren't a big deal, they are what they are. For those of us who have been collecting 10+ years (30+ for me)...its frustrating to see prices double or more.
Since '92 here!

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:37 pm

Gavin wrote:

fair point indeed........but doesn't comparing die cast collecting in the 90's to now not make sense since its true what Auto Art has said, the cost of doing business in China has vastly increased. Chinas progress in the past 30 year have taken it from dirt roads to super cities with more millionaires than the US. Plus for us Canadians the dollar is complete shit and can take A LOT of the blame

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Yeah the dollar is a big factor.

And it's a good thing I don't really drink alcohol or coffee or smoke or have anything other than regular bills. But once my car is paid off this summer, regular unabashed model buying will hopefully resume.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:34 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Yeah the dollar is a big factor.

And it's a good thing I don't really drink alcohol or coffee or smoke or have anything other than regular bills. But once my car is paid off this summer, regular unabashed model buying will hopefully resume.
LOL, same here! :D

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Canadian Wrench Head wrote:
Gavin wrote:

fair point indeed........but doesn't comparing die cast collecting in the 90's to now not make sense since its true what Auto Art has said, the cost of doing business in China has vastly increased. Chinas progress in the past 30 year have taken it from dirt roads to super cities with more millionaires than the US. Plus for us Canadians the dollar is complete shit and can take A LOT of the blame
I think its more of a comparison point of view. I wonder if the costs of models is inline with other items over the last 25-30 years.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:18 pm

anyone else wonder in the next 5-10 years if this hobby will be even around.......or just for those that can afford it?

Return to “General Discussion”