2016 MODEL OF THE YEAR Selection! PLEASE RESPOND!

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
Q-DawgVFR

Re: 2016 MODEL OF THE YEAR Selection! PLEASE RESPOND!

Post by Q-DawgVFR » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:54 pm

I do not personally own all of these. Yet.

Question: do you run a separate category for modified re-issues of older models? I am a model builder and in the plastic kit world, it would often be considered a different category from the "all new" models. Just something to consider, in addition to the "best budget" idea (which I like, but where do we cap the cost? Sub $100?)

Here's a few models I think worthy of consideration, in no particular preference:

Modified Re-issues:
- GMP F&F 70 roadrunner
- Autoart Aventador SV
- GMP Precision Cadillac Ambulance (pick one)

All new (not sure if these all are new models)
- AA C7 Corvette Z06
- AA McLaren P1
- Gravitas / Minikraft Audi RS7
- TSM McLaren P1
- AA Wangan Devil Z
- Burago F488
- Schuco 2015 911 (991) targa
- Schuco Cayman GT4
- Replicarz 1967 Paxton Turbine Indy 500, Parnelli Jones

Personally my favorites are the following:
- Audi RS7. I love this car as the quality is great and it is a more unusual subject (I love Audi and VW models), but the value for the money takes away from me recommending as the overall winner. Still a great effort worth recognition from a newer company and I want to see what comes next.
- TSM McLaren P1. Although I love the overall murdered out look of the black car and opening features, the execution could have been a bit better. Although many like the AA better, I like TSM for the lower price point and better looking colors offered to date. Because AA and TSM both missed the mark, I don't think either deserve model of the year. But great subject matter choice.
- Burago F488. Any version. I do not own this car yet, but I am amazed by the quality. I never thought I would hear myself say "I want that model" over a Burago, but this car has proper hinged doors, nice shutlines, quality paint, and seems to get the stance and look just right. Burago has really upped its game recently. Both the play version and signature version represent excellent value and I think this car should nail the budget award. I want to buy a couple!
- Paxton Turbine Indy 500. Seriously this is a cool model of a very unusual racecar. Lift off panels reveal the unusual arrangment of 4WD, turbine engine, and side by side arrangement of engine and driver. Model is well executed, but rather expensive.
- Schuco Porsche 911 (991) targa. This is a well executed car and my favorite features are the deep blue paint, the silver B pillar and targa roof (off), and the overall look and quality. It comes in as a really solid effort when Kyosho and Autoart seem to be coasting on past success and offering less for more money. I do not own it yet, but have one on order. Real diecast quality and a good contender for overall winner, along with the Cayman GT4 (which may in fact be better, but I love the targa 911)

IMHO, I think it's between Schuco and Burago. Or both if we separate budget from high end in price.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Question: do you run a separate category for modified re-issues of older models? I am a model builder and in the plastic kit world, it would often be considered a different category from the "all new" models. Just something to consider, in addition to the "best budget" idea (which I like, but where do we cap the cost? Sub $100?)
No. It is quite simple, one list, one vote!

Q-DawgVFR

Post by Q-DawgVFR » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:59 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
No. It is quite simple, one list, one vote!
Simple is good. :okay:

Another model worth mention for consideration might be

- Norev VW Golf GTI Mk III

(I'm not 100% if it was a late 2015 release or Q1 2016 as I didn't see it until this year)

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:46 pm

It was 2016. It really isn't that good based on other "GTI" models made by them

Q-DawgVFR

Post by Q-DawgVFR » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:19 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:It was 2016. It really isn't that good based on other "GTI" models made by them
Yes true not their best effort, nor my personal favorite. The Mk II and MK VII are my personal favorites for execution

HY90

Post by HY90 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:24 am

I do have a few of these listed, while some of them are still on my wish list. This year has been pretty ironic, with high end brand like AutoArts receiving subpar response compared to the past few years, while entry level brands such as Bburago has received spectacular review in reponse to their recent Ferrari licensing. So my list would have to be:

Bburago Bugatti Chiron
Bburago Signature Ferrari 488 GTB
Autoart Nissan Wangan Devil Z
Autoart G63 AMG 6x6
GT Spirit RAUH-WELT BEGRIFF (RWB) PORSCHE 964
Kyosho Ouisa Aventador SV
Schuco Porsche Caymen GT4
Topspeed McLaren 675LT

Why?

Both the Chiron and 488 GTB surprised me in a good way. For models that cost below 60 bucks, these are pretty well done. Carbon fiber details are done in a surprisingly good fashion an for the 488, it's almost on par with the past HWEs.
AutoArt Devil Wangan has been a pretty highly anticipated model since the news came out. Although I don't have one and can't speak on behalf of it, I do believe from the initial reactions, it's done pretty well.
The G63 AMG 6x6 isn't necessarily the most well done model of the batch. However, I do applaud AutoArt for having the balls to do such a model and utilize that amazing suspension articulation. Unlike GT spirits take, this one actually has opening parts and although not a diecast, i do fancy an off road truck.
The GT Spirit Porsche RWB speaks for itself. No need for further explanation.
The Aventador SV like the RWB, is another resin model. Reason I included this was because so far, it's the one scaled version of it and the best part of it is that you can get one for well under $100.
Schuco GT4 is another one that's still on my wishlist. It's like all of you know, not available stateside, so obtaining one can prove quite expensive. Judging by KRAFTIG's review, it's absolutely amazing.
Topspeed 675LT because well... it's my favorite supercar so far.

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:28 pm

The Ousia SV is diecast not resin and the 675 LT from Kyosho will not be released this year.

Sanchez

Post by Sanchez » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:26 am

Do not own any but judging by reviews and pictures:

AutoArt Honda RA272
AutoArt Nissan Fairlady Devil Z
Bburago / Maisto Bugatti Chiron

Return to “General Discussion”