So depressing...

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
[KRAFTIG]

Re: So depressing...

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Yes, but it seems the "norm" today is heavily leaning towards sealed or somewhere in between. I just want fully opening metal or plastic, is that too much to ask?

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Yes, but it seems the "norm" today is heavily leaning towards sealed or somewhere in between. I just want fully opening metal or plastic, is that too much to ask?
You’re not the only one but to make a dent in today’s resin market you not only need to lobby for full opening metal or plastic but also add the walk to the talk. Most of my money goes to CMC and Autoart, the resin guys...not so much.

TomMay

Post by TomMay » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:53 am

Honestly, I don't mind sealed resin models.

I have many resin models in my collection and I like the level of detail that some of this models achieve (best examples for me are my Frontiart Koenigsegg Agere RS or the BBR Huayra BC). Also some models are only available in resin.

And I have the opportunity to sell them and buy the model with opening parts if they eventually arrive and are well made.

From a price point I have the feeling that somehow everything gets more expensive lately. Open models as well as sealed models.. I just buy what I can afford at the time.

Mikey MKIV

Post by Mikey MKIV » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Remember back in the day, when AA diecast fully opening models were 49.99, and the limited production or special ones maybe 59.99? Those were the days.

Now a steal from them is a composite sealed model for under $140.... Absolute crap. There are so many cars id love to have, but if they are sealed, I instantly say nope. Not worth the HUNDRED(S) of dollars for an empty shell. I dont care how awesome the exterior is (and I admit, MANY of them are), its still an empty shell.

Its a different story for all of those people swimming in spare money, but I just cant believe the mass of the public buys into it. They obviously are.

Mikey MKIV

Post by Mikey MKIV » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Now I'm depressed.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Mikey MKIV wrote:Remember back in the day, when AUTOart diecast fully opening models were 49.99, and the limited production or special ones maybe 59.99? Those were the days.

Now a steal from them is a composite sealed model for under $140.... Absolute crap. There are so many cars id love to have, but if they are sealed, I instantly say nope. Not worth the HUNDRED(S) of dollars for an empty shell. I dont care how awesome the exterior is (and I admit, MANY of them are), its still an empty shell.

Its a different story for all of those people swimming in spare money, but I just cant believe the mass of the public buys into it. They obviously are.
So true.

I was debating the merits of the new Almost Real release with someone online today. His response, "engine is boring" and "I already enjoyed my Bentley GT3-R for a year". Meaning he bought the sealed version that was offered. This hobby was founded on representing the 1:1 in scale as best as possible. It seems we're moving away from that. Seems the "new" (I use the term new lightly not to offend all) generation of collectors have been conditioned to accept less. Sad state.

As for paying more, that is the economic state of 2017 vs. 1997. There are many factors that affect the price along the way.

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote: So true.

I was debating the merits of the new Almost Real release with someone online today. His response, "engine is boring" and "I already enjoyed my Bentley GT3-R for a year". Meaning he bought the sealed version that was offered. This hobby was founded on representing the 1:1 in scale as best as possible. It seems we're moving away from that. Seems the "new" (I use the term new lightly not to offend all) generation of collectors have been conditioned to accept less. Sad state.

As for paying more, that is the economic state of 2017 vs. 1997. There are many factors that affect the price along the way.
Times have changed. I collected diecasts (1/18) till 15 years ago. For several reasons (like going to university abroad, getting married etc.) I stopped, but kept all the models in storage. I just picked up the hobby 1,5 years ago again, so I missed everything that happened in between. What I most notice, apart form the whole resin thing, is that not only the prices went up, but also the quality of the models (with opening parts). Because I have a 13 year gap, for me its very clear, models that cost 60 euro's now (like the FX-Welly's) are very close quality wise to an 15 year old Autoart that did cost the same 15 years ago. Compairing an new Autoart with one form 15 years ago, is compairing bananas with apples, not only in price, also in refinement. Same for Kyosho. Just look at panel gaps etc.

The whole resin thing is a different story. They have there place within the hobby, but will never replace a good die-cast, fully opening. But the benefit from the whole resin thing is, that there are limited runs of models from cars that otherwise never would have been produced in the first place (no one will produce a Ruf yellowbird in die-cast for instance). So, yes, sometime I buy resin now. Also I noticed that with some cars the stance and overall shape is better on resin models. Like the F40, I have the resin Kyosho next to the die-cast on display, with the die-cast displayed open, so I can admire both worlds.

But what I also see, and don't like, is that some brands (Kyosho) is replacing most of the models with sealed ones, not only in resin, also sealed die-casts. And that's something I don't understand. And there not cheap either..... :S

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 am

Compairing an new Autoart with one form 15 years ago, is compairing bananas with apples, not only in price, also in refinement. Same for Kyosho. Just look at panel gaps etc.
I tend to disagree, not in all cases is the refinement and quality the same as it was in the past with the "diecast" brands. That is the one thing that grinds my gears :nt:

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Compairing an new Autoart with one form 15 years ago, is compairing bananas with apples, not only in price, also in refinement. Same for Kyosho. Just look at panel gaps etc.
I tend to disagree, not in all cases is the refinement and quality the same as it was in the past with the "diecast" brands. That is the one thing that grinds my gears :nt:
You're prabably right on this. I'm still filling to holes in my collection (believe me, not collecting for 13 years leaves some holes), so I mostly focus on models I missed. Most AutoArt (or other good die-cast brands like Schuco / Kyosho) I bought are models from a couple of years ago. If I compare them to the ones I allready collected in the past (15-20 years ago) they are just better. But I see your point, the last couple of years it has gone down a bit. I have bought just a couple of really recent die-casts since I started again, so my opinion is probably not the most trustworthy ;) I just haven't seen as much as you'll have seen from the recent releases.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am

I understand the pain of coming back. I stopped for 7-8 years myself. Though thankfully I came back 10 years ago so finding models I missed wasn't as challenging and expensive as it would be today. eBay specifically was great back in the day, but today it's a joke!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:31 am

Just ran the numbers, in 2017 to date I purchase 30 models. 60% were resin! :?

Fronti-Art/AvanStyle Koenigsegg Regera
BBR Ferrari 365 GT4 BB 1975
Model 777 Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo Concept
Norev BMW M1 Hommage
Norev BMW 323 Hommage Concept
BBR Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
GT Spirit Porsche RUF RTR
TopSpeed Aston Martin DB11
GT Spirit RWB/Porsche 911 (964) Duck Tail
TopSpeed Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 Concept
GT Spirit Mercedes-Benz GT Prior
GT Spirit Porsche RUF 911 (993) Turbo
GT Spirit Lamborghini/Koenig Countach
GT Spirit Mercedes-Benz Brabus Rocket 900
GT Spirit Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Roadster
GT Spirit Ferrari/Gemballa Enzo Gemballa MIG-U1
GT Spirit Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Norev BMW Vision Next 100 Concept

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:17 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Just ran the numbers, in 2017 to date I purchase 30 models. 60% were resin! :?

Fronti-Art/AvanStyle Koenigsegg Regera
BBR Ferrari 365 GT4 BB 1975
Model 777 Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo Concept
Norev BMW M1 Hommage
Norev BMW 323 Hommage Concept
BBR Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
GT Spirit Porsche RUF RTR
TopSpeed Aston Martin DB11
GT Spirit RWB/Porsche 911 (964) Duck Tail
TopSpeed Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 Concept
GT Spirit Mercedes-Benz GT Prior
GT Spirit Porsche RUF 911 (993) Turbo
GT Spirit Lamborghini/Koenig Countach
GT Spirit Mercedes-Benz Brabus Rocket 900
GT Spirit Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Roadster
GT Spirit Ferrari/Gemballa Enzo Gemballa MIG-U1
GT Spirit Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Norev BMW Vision Next 100 Concept
Since I started the hobby again I purchased 43 models. Only 15 of them being sealed (resin or die-cast), so 28 opening die-casts. I think that's a intressing fact, because you prabably focussing on the present, while I am focussing on what I missed. That clearly means, resin is slowly but surely gaining marketpercentage :(

The resins I bought:
Greenlight Dodge Charger Daytona
Greenlight Dallara DW12 Honda
GTS Lamborghini Countach 'Koenig specials'
GTS Ruf CTR 'yellowbird'
GTS Mercedes McLaren SLR 722 GT
GTS Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
Kyosho Ferrari F40
Kyosho Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SV
Minichamps Red Bull RB12
Minichamps Toro Rosso STR10
Norev Porsche 917 K
Otto BMW 3.0 CS Alpina B2
Spark Ford GT 40 Mk.I
Spark Matra Simca MS 670B
Spark Porsche 956
Last edited by Marcel171281 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 am

You are correct on your assessment. I'm focusing much more on present day :)

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 am

Good cure for the depression:

Schuco 934 RSR

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Marcel171281 wrote:Good cure for the depression: Schuco 934 RSR
LOL I have the Exoto presentation piece :okay:

Return to “General Discussion”