So depressing...

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
[KRAFTIG]

So depressing...

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 pm

I acquired six new models this week, all in sealed resin. Though I love the specimens it is someone depressing seeing the massive shift to sealed models. I think I'm might start being a little more selective at what I buy :wall:

What are your thoughts? :popcorn:

SPhilli911

Re: So depressing...

Post by SPhilli911 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

It's just the way it is with collecting model cars. Brands can make more money with sealed cars, why bother developing opening ones if the market doesn't exclusively demand them? I don't know this for a fact, just speculation, but I feel that right now the market of model car collecting is shifting to sealed because people are buying them without fussing about it. Until brands phase out opening cars altogether (never gonna happen) or continue raising prices on sealed models then I see no change.

I, like probably many other collectors, tolerate sealed cars because they often fill the gaps in our collection with cars not offered elsewhere. Model car companies know that... make a car never offered before in scale model form and people are going to buy it, sealed or not. How vocal are the collectors who only want opening cars? And how many collectors are willing to be selective?

My wallet tells me I should be more selective, but my obsession tells me to buy all the cars that fit in my collection. But it is getting absurd when some sealed models are going for outrageous prices and unless you buy them as soon as they go up for sale, good luck on ebay later. :lol:

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:15 pm

I know the feeling. Personally I am limiting the purchase of sealed resins models to only Must have and affordable brands as much as possible. This year I got a few GT Spirit and only one BBR and one Technomodel. By itself the trend of sealed models is already depressing but the worse is the fact that quality on these entry level resin model has taken a hit recently. I was used to sealed but beautiful GT Spirit Porsche but the two last two I received have less and less details, more inaccuracies and frankly speaking were garbage QC wise. Seems you have to be lucky or spend big bucks for resin this days to be satisfied. Since I am collecting both classic and modern cars I have to be selective in the pieces I am acquiring and I am seriously thinking about banning all entry level resins and focusing only on high quality diecast.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:27 pm

SPhilli911 wrote:It's just the way it is with collecting model cars. Brands can make more money with sealed cars, why bother developing opening ones if the market doesn't exclusively demand them? I don't know this for a fact, just speculation, but I feel that right now the market of model car collecting is shifting to sealed because people are buying them without fussing about it. Until brands phase out opening cars altogether (never gonna happen) or continue raising prices on sealed models then I see no change.

I, like probably many other collectors, tolerate sealed cars because they often fill the gaps in our collection with cars not offered elsewhere. Model car companies know that... make a car never offered before in scale model form and people are going to buy it, sealed or not. How vocal are the collectors who only want opening cars? And how many collectors are willing to be selective?

My wallet tells me I should be more selective, but my obsession tells me to buy all the cars that fit in my collection. But it is getting absurd when some sealed models are going for outrageous prices and unless you buy them as soon as they go up for sale, good luck on ebay later. :lol:
Valid points. I truly can relate to the last paragraph. I guess the masses need to vote their wallets, but you know that is never going to happen...

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Atalante wrote:I know the feeling. Personally I am limiting the purchase of sealed resins models to only Must have and affordable brands as much as possible. This year I got a few GT Spirit and only one BBR and one Technomodel. By itself the trend of sealed models is already depressing but the worse is the fact that quality on these entry level resin model has taken a hit recently. I was used to sealed but beautiful GT Spirit Porsche but the two last two I received have less and less details, more inaccuracies and frankly speaking were garbage QC wise. Seems you have to be lucky or spend big bucks for resin this days to be satisfied. Since I am collecting both classic and modern cars I have to be selective in the pieces I am acquiring and I am seriously thinking about banning all entry level resins and focusing only on high quality diecast.
Five came from GTS, I was presently surprised all five passed my QC test :o

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:28 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Atalante wrote:I know the feeling. Personally I am limiting the purchase of sealed resins models to only Must have and affordable brands as much as possible. This year I got a few GT Spirit and only one BBR and one Technomodel. By itself the trend of sealed models is already depressing but the worse is the fact that quality on these entry level resin model has taken a hit recently. I was used to sealed but beautiful GT Spirit Porsche but the two last two I received have less and less details, more inaccuracies and frankly speaking were garbage QC wise. Seems you have to be lucky or spend big bucks for resin this days to be satisfied. Since I am collecting both classic and modern cars I have to be selective in the pieces I am acquiring and I am seriously thinking about banning all entry level resins and focusing only on high quality diecast.
Five came from GTS, I was presently surprised all five passed my QC test :o
Those I bought directly from GTS were pretty good so far. I had many QC problem with those coming from the retailers.

Regardless of QC they were making better models 2-3 years ago.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I would agree the attention to detail was slightly better. All these recent examples came from the retail channel. I have three more on the water coming direct. :fingercrossed:

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I have significantly reduced my buying (and my wife is so appreciative), and since my focus is racers of the prior era, not so many of the resins are meeting with my expectations.

And even then, with Acme's constant errors and/or repaint of tired molds, what's there to buy?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Oldtimer wrote:I have significantly reduced my buying (and my wife is so appreciative), and since my focus is racers of the prior era, not so many of the resins are meeting with my expectations.

And even then, with Acme's constant errors and/or repaint of tired molds, what's there to buy?
LOL you're bringing it to another level. Seems resin isn't treating the race/livery as well in assortment/selection either.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 am

I voted with my wallet from day 1. Bought only one resin just to give it a shot and immediately put it back in its box and sold it. They're insulting. How dare they charge what they're charging for them??? The complexity is at 1/10th. It's almost like they went "let's try this easier way to make money and see if they buy... damn they're buying, the idiots, I don't believe this!! okay keep making them!"

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:44 am

Wes, you're no longer a collector, you have no say! ;)

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:47 pm

I don't buy them. Until now only the Ariel Atom, but that hasn't moving body parts so no issue. I think they are soulless like replicants in Blade Runner.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Zondaracer wrote:I don't buy them. Until now only the Ariel Atom, but that hasn't moving body parts so no issue. I think they are soulless like replicants in Blade Runner.
I like Blade Runner and Replicants! ;)

JamesonsViggen

Post by JamesonsViggen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:30 pm

I was anti resin. I love studying details and opening up to see an engine is like opening a jewelry box.

At the same time. I like oddball subject matter. Those cars simply aren't going to be made in diecast.

I am nearing 700 cars all side by side. Studying the opening parts is very rare.

What is important is stance, proportion and wheels and tires. I am finding resin has to get these things right and often do. I have a CMC SLR which is nearly ruined by it's wheels. I have an Anson C900 Saab that looks like a toy next to my Otto Saab c900. The diecast is inferior in that case and the resin better captures the subject.

Two similar cars and similar prices, I always choose diecast. But I've learned to really embrace the resin and it's made my collection better.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 pm

I Agree. I would also say some resin models can complement very well a collection and enhance it. Some models are just never going to be made in diecast not just because their are oddballs but they target at a limited audience. As long as they don’t make the overwhelming majority of a collection a few resins can make it nicer.

Return to “General Discussion”