Do you keep the boxes?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
MysteriousRJC

Do you keep the boxes?

Post by MysteriousRJC » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 pm

I’m just starting out in this hobby but I’ve gotten addicted pretty quickly. I think I’m up to 16 1/18 cars that are currently on my shelf plus I have another 4 pre-ordered and there’s another 2 I need to pick up and I have another 7-8 small 1/43 or 1/87 on the way ... have to find some time to post my pictures in the members collection section. Most of my big cars are either AUTOart or Hot Wheels Elite But anyway to get back on topic I’m trying to decide what to do with the boxes. So far I have all of the boxes of everything that I’ve got. I put a bunch of the ones that were better quality boxes with the foam halves that completely in case the car in my closet because I figured those would be good to transport the car safely. The other ones I kind a have stuffed in a bigger box right now and I’m thinking of putting in the garage if I’m going to keep them even though I know they probably won’t stay in great condition staying there.

Do you guys tend to keep the boxes from the car as you buy or do you just get rid of them? It’s a lot of space to keep all the boxes I’m finding. I don’t think I would be selling any of my cars in the future, at least not at this point I don’t think so. So I guess having the box isn’t that much of a benefit but if you do turn around and sell something people seem to value having box more

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Do you keep the boxes?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 am

When I first started collecting no. When I got super serious about the hobby I changed my views, especially when you start paying $200-$300 per model. My based is a wasteland of boxes.

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:30 am

For my 1/18s I keep the boxes (although I tossed my first ever Autoart box and I regret that), in fact, all my cars are still in their boxes due to space limitations at the moment. For my 1/43s I tossed all the boxes. I only keep the boxes for the purpose of transporting the cars and keeping them in good shape.

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 am

Yes.

And this isn't even half of them!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:21 am

definitely keep them. You will thank yourself in the future

MysteriousRJC

Post by MysteriousRJC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Oldtimer wrote:Yes.

And this isn't even half of them!
I'll only have 1 transportation to my new house in about 1-1.5 years, can't see selling them. Are you guys keeping boxes in case you sell?

That's a lotta room used for boxes, my vehicles are all out of boxes on display

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Selling them and moving. Even though you say you'll never sell, you still might. I said I'll never sell. Sold them all

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:44 am

StratosWRC wrote:Selling them and moving. Even though you say you'll never sell, you still might. I said I'll never sell. Sold them all
Yup, I'm in that boat now. I said I'd never sell a single model and I'm currently in the process of cutting out a good 20% of my collection. Glad I kept all the boxes!

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 am

MysteriousRJC wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
That's a lotta room used for boxes, my vehicles are all out of boxes on display
I have about 600 on display, and another 300 or so stored along with these empty boxes.

MLB-CMAmodelsInc

Post by MLB-CMAmodelsInc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 am

I collect in several scales, and I keep ALL the boxes. It makes a big difference when selling and helps when moving. Even if you think you will "never" sell...... things change. Never say never.

MysteriousRJC

Post by MysteriousRJC » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 pm

MLB-CMAmodelsInc wrote:I collect in several scales, and I keep ALL the boxes. It makes a big difference when selling and helps when moving. Even if you think you will "never" sell...... things change. Never say never.
Guess I’ll see how the space crunch goes

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes, I keep them. You never know in the future.....

ATEOTD

Post by ATEOTD » Mon May 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Yes, I do. And, having recently sold several cars and moved, I'm glad I did.

toyfiats

Post by toyfiats » Sat May 12, 2018 11:36 pm

I just finished a major culling of my collection. For years I had kept all the boxes, which did take up a lot of room, and finally decided to toss the boxes for the inexpensive ones (Sunstar, Vitesse, Autoart). Since these are relatively inexpensive models to begin with, when I went to sell them I had to price them so cheap to move them that having the boxes didn't matter much one way or the other, and in fact would have been more expensive to ship with the bulky boxes.

Now I only keep the boxes for my CMC and BBR models. While I have no plans to sell the keepers, plans always change, and the resale value of these more expensive models are significantly impacted by whether the original boxes are included.

TomMay

Post by TomMay » Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 am

I try to keep them.. but I am running out of room. I think I will ditch the boxes of the cheaper models and only keep the boxes of the premium models like my Frontiart, BBR or Autoart Signature models.. I have to think about this in the future...

Return to “General Discussion”