Suggestions for how to ship this model?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
ATEOTD

Suggestions for how to ship this model?

Post by ATEOTD » Mon May 28, 2018 5:20 pm

I am considering selling this AUTOart CLK-GTR. I have no box; it was sold to me without one. It already has some damaged parts (the antenna, tow hook, and possibly hood ornament). The previous owner shipped it to me covered in layers of bubble wrap, with a piece of cardboard wrapped around the antenna to protect it. When I moved, I put it inside a display case layers of packing film wrapped around it, and more packing film holding the case's window to the base.

Does anyone here have any other ideas? I really want to do the best I can to prevent damage if and when I ship it to someone. Any help would be appreciated.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Suggestions for how to ship this model?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon May 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I would try to sell locally first. But if you have to ship use foam to build around the rear spoiler and other like parts. once this is complete warp is layers of bubble-wrap. Add "Fragile" decals to the exterior of the box and pray for the best!

ATEOTD

Post by ATEOTD » Mon May 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks so much for your suggestions! By the way, is there a particular name for its paint scheme? What particular car does it depict?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon May 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Sorry not sure of the history of the livery on this one.

ATEOTD

Post by ATEOTD » Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 pm

No problem.

So, if I understand your suggestion correctly, if I end up shipping it, I should build some sort of structure around the sensitive parts, using styrofoam?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 pm

ATEOTD wrote:No problem.

So, if I understand your suggestion correctly if I end up shipping it, I should build some sort of structure around the sensitive parts, using styrofoam?
Correct.

ATEOTD

Post by ATEOTD » Mon May 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Got it. Thanks again! This could turn out to be one of the most brilliant things I've done, or one of the most disastrous. :fingercrossed: :D

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 am

Just make sure the engine cover is SECURE. I would say use elastic bands, some soft material between the engine cover and the body. I bought one of these a long time ago and the engine cover came off and I basically got the model as a kit cause it was in a million small parts.

ATEOTD

Post by ATEOTD » Tue May 29, 2018 5:16 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Just make sure the engine cover is SECURE. I would say use elastic bands, some soft material between the engine cover and the body. I bought one of these a long time ago and the engine cover came off and I basically got the model as a kit cause it was in a million small parts.
That's odd. I tried removing the engine cover a few months ago, and I couldn't, even after taking out the screws.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue May 29, 2018 6:12 pm

The decals might have solidified with the metal body part. These models were nitrous from poor and fragile decal work

Malscar

Post by Malscar » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:44 am

Don't use rubber bands. This can damage the decals. Get some tissues, fold each one til it forms a 2cm wide strip. Then using sticky tape, tape around the body with the tissue between the tape and the model. You can go right around the car so the doors are held closed, another one to hold the engine cover on etc. DON'T let the tape stick to the model which is why the tissue is there.

Like this.

ATEOTD

Post by ATEOTD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Well, my masterpiece of protective packaging ships out in a couple days. It looks sort of like a narco tank now.

Return to “General Discussion”