DIE-ssecting of a Resin Model…

The latest in diecast headlines and DS website updates.
[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 am

Have you ever wondered what the inside of a typical resin model looks like? What makes the upper class of scale resin models tick? Our friend and DiecastSociety.com member Brian did. The catalyst for the dissection here was a loose seat on his new Fronti-Art/AvanStyle 1:18 Koenigsegg Regera. As you can see from the multiple images, there isn’t much to the under side of this model. We count 14 pieces in total, 11 of which are screws to hold the undercarriage in place. Yes we’re being a little overly pragmatic in our methods, but the proof is in the pudding…

.: SEE MORE :.

jmnov

Re: DIE-ssecting of a Resin Model…

Post by jmnov » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 am

And? It's not a surprise what you find underside!
and there are much more than 14 parts...
4 wheels, 4 brake disks, 4 calipers and 4 tires etc...
What counts on sealed models is what you see, and it allows companies to make models that cannot be done in diecast due to labour cost, etc...
Owning a thousand cars, most are opening models but when exposed in displays, I don't open them anymore, generally only the day you received them.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 am

The part count takes into consideration what is not "fixed".

No issue with that, but lower prices based on what you bring to the table. Scale models in general are far less in detail that what we had in the past. Prices are not in line with the level of detail, exception GTS, OttOmobile, BOS... I don't buy the labor angle, as mentioned above there are brands doing well well under the 100 Euro price point. Also Bbruago just released their 1:18, diecast, F XXK under 60 Euro!

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Not surprising indeed.
Opening parts are nice added value but I prefer accurate exterior over opening parts. Of course, both would be perfect (Cayman GT4 by Schuco). To me, we had many upgrades lately thanks to resin manufacturers. One example amongst others is the R34 Z-Tune Z2. The AUTOart was a great model but it is now overshadowed by its resin counterparts (HPI or OttO). The exterior is much more intricate and is true to the real deal. Aa's mold is old, sure. But this can be easily apply to other modelcars.
I can also add CMC to the party, which most of you are praising. Sorry, I think I'm going to hurt some feelings. Let's take the DB4 Zagato which I had the chance to see with my own eyes. Well, my god it looks off. It's beautifully done but it's so off at the same time. I love the car but I don't see myself spending 400€ for a model which is not true to the 1/1. Same applies for the 901. However, it won't concern all their productions. The GTO, for instance, is superb.
In the end, collectors do whatever they want. Both have their pros and cons. But collectors (on some other forums) who are insulting resin collectors and manufacturers are just stupid. Just quit the hobby already if you don't like trend!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 pm

David wrote:Not surprising indeed.
I can also add CMC to the party, which most of you are praising. Sorry, I think I'm going to hurt some feelings. Let's take the DB4 Zagato which I had the chance to see with my own eyes. Well, my god it looks off. It's beautifully done but it's so off at the same time. I love the car but I don't see myself spending 400€ for a model which is not true to the 1/1. Same applies for the 901. However, it won't concern all their productions. The GTO, for instance, is superb.
In the end, collectors do whatever they want. Both have their pros and cons. But collectors (on some other forums) who are insulting resin collectors and manufacturers are just stupid. Just quit the hobby already if you don't like trend!
You're opening another can of worms... There is never a perfect model in any material be it diecast metal, resin or composite. I think resin have there place, I just want more accountability for what they are :money: :money:

Mikey MKIV

Post by Mikey MKIV » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:44 pm

I agree with Kraft, there is no justification for these outrageous prices given whats inside... Nothing. Ive always bitched about how these manufacturers make "1 of 8" world wide and say its worth $600. And then 46 color variations. Even more crazy how ppl buy them.

Ive always wanted confirmation that there were cob webs inside of these, thanks to Brian for proving that. I will say, the exteriors are indeed beautiful, and if I were filthy rich, I guess I probably would buy them. But jeesh.

A detailed (not Maisto) fully opening model has 25 times the R&D and engineering put into it than any of these, and that is what I am drawn to and appreciate.

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 pm

@Dave: I agree. Paying a fortune for a "limited" and expensive resin model was never my thing and it won't be anytime soon. To be honest, the industry in its current state disgusts me.

AOS

Post by AOS » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm

David wrote:I prefer accurate exterior over opening parts.
This, so much.

Return to “Latest Diecast News and Site Updates”