REVIEW: AUTOart Jaguar XKR-S

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: AUTOart Jaguar XKR-S

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:37 pm

The cat is back! The third rendition of the Jaguar XK is now available from AUTOart in XKR-S skin. The XKR-S is the most powerful production sports car that Jaguar has ever produced, with a 5.0 litre V8 Supercharged 550 engine that can achieve 0-100kms in just 4.4 seconds (0-60mph in just 4.2 seconds). An impressive feat for what many consider a luxury brand. So did AUTOart save the best for last? Read on.

This model comes from AUTOart’s Performance series, and rightfully so. It basically takes it stripes from the original 1:18 Jaguar XR and XRR. The first thing that strikes you is the beautiful French Racing Blue exterior paint. Though the soon to be released Italian Racing Red is absolutely sharp too! Overall body lines and dimensions seem to be spot on. As for shutlines and panel gaps, they are excellent for the most part, though I noticed a little too much spacing on the passenger side front hood.

Front fascia is where the XKR-S really starts to differentiate from the previous models. What we have is a very aggressive look. Larger look chin spoiler (covered in carbon fiber), massive fins on the left and right side, and two intakes (centre, right where the front hood begins). The entire package works and works well. One thing I did notice the front emblem on my XKR has a more 3D look than what we find on the XKR-S today.

Rear is fitted with an aggressive upper spoiler covered in carbon fiber as well as a matching rear diffuser. The diffuser gives way to more pronounced body lines on each side of the bumper, completing the overall sportiness and aggressive look. Again everything here is executed to perfection. If I had one complaint on the exterior it would be the lack lustre effort on the front, left and right emblems. But now I’m nitpicking.

The wheels feature a gun-metal finish. Red calipers and massive rotors complete the package. AUTOart, though small even added the Jaguar name each of the four calipers.

The motor is your typical modern piece, most of which is covered by plastic bits. Though what is exposed is nicely executed, with fit and finish very good. One thing you will notice and typical of the older releases is the missing pair of hood struts. Yes they are not present. Definitely a miss for me, and would have been a nice gesture from AUTOart to include that little extra! The added bonus is the extra undercarriage detail – suspension components a long side exhaust system are nicely highlighted.

Rear deck is fully covered in carpeting, no issues to report here. Note the missing struts again and the massive dog legs supporting the hatch, all borrowed from the older XR and XKR. On the flip side operation is smooth and gaps and shutlines are excellent.

Moving on to the interior we again find carpeting throughout. Seatbelts are found front and rear and made of fabric and metal. Overall interior is nicely appointed and seems to mimic the original for the most part, though the finer detail like colour fabric stitching and such were overlooked. Again we’re dealing with the Performance Series from AUTOart so sacrifices are made to hit certain production price points. Boo!

I’ve been lucky enough to own both the XK and XKR, adding the XKR-S was a no brainer, especially in the French Racing Blue. Colour aside AUTOart has produced yet another winner. If you can overall look the minor misses, I think this one would look ace on display in any collection. Enjoy the pics!

Rinty

Re: REVIEW: AUTOart Jaguar XKR-S

Post by Rinty » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:17 am

Great review. I love the French Racing Blue, the paint looks beautiful.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:49 am

Thank you sir!

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am

agreed...that French Blue is fantastic. I skipped the R, since I had the XK Coupe (actually preferred its wheels anyway)...but I'm really tempted to add this one.

A local high end dealer had a 1:1 in this color a few weeks back...looks even better in person.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Lucky13 wrote:How can you paint the epitome of BRITISH car making in FRENCH blue? :lol:
Haha good point. Though for me personally, I like the car but not the model for some reason. Somehow I feel it didn't translate too well into 1/18. It's at the 150-160 price point btw.

Hanako

Post by Hanako » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:51 am

Pretty accurate engine. Love it!

spanner

Post by spanner » Sun May 21, 2017 7:27 pm

currently trying to find one of these models as your review convinced me I should have one! :okay:

spanner

Post by spanner » Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 pm

And it has no registration plates! which is just how I like em!

A shame they skimped on the struts and that it has ugly dogleg hinges but they aren't too bad so I'll excuse it this time.

The interior detail does look a little on the simple and bland side but its ok I guess being a Performance series model. I know a guy who owns the standard model XK and the interior is finished quite well and looks rather classy!

Great review!

mcaf123

Post by mcaf123 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:59 am

spanner wrote:currently trying to find one of these models as your review convinced me I should have one! :okay:
Just be on the lookout for models with paintrash, which is particularly prevalent on the bonnet and the side panels! :doh:

Return to “Model Reviews”