Kwando's Collection Journal - Ferrari Update!

Create your own page to highlight your diecast collection and latest additions.
Mikey MKIV

Re: Kwando's Ikea Bertby Project

Post by Mikey MKIV » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 am

Those shelves are awesome, cant wait to see them up. Any plans on adding lighting?

Kraft, yours with the black frame and additional shelves looks amazing, that is perfect.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Looking good. You'll regret the sale of the fifth one, there is always room somewhere else in the home :)
You're probably right. I might put it in my office if I can come up with an easier solution than painting..I might have to see if my brother has any white vinyl left over and try wrapping it.
Mikey MKIV wrote:Those shelves are awesome, cant wait to see them up. Any plans on adding lighting?

Thanks! I've thought about it but I will cross that bridge later. If I do I would have to try making it as seamless as possible.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Some small updates. Since I have access to the inside of the wall I spent this week reinforcing it. I also decided to buy flip toggle bolts since they seem much stronger than the ones I previously bought. Going to finish putting them up tomorrow.

Philip

Post by Philip » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:21 am

I am extremely impressed with your DIY prowess, Dennis. You definitely don't do anything by half-measures! I wish I was as well organised as you! :okay:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:38 am

Smart move with bracing the rear with wood. Question, so if you have access to the rear why would you need toggle bolts? Why not brace both top and bottom and screw into the 2x4?

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:24 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Smart move with bracing the rear with wood. Question, so if you have access to the rear why would you need toggle bolts? Why not brace both top and bottom and screw into the 2x4?
When I built the house I had asked the builder to hammer in some braces along the top during the framing stage but unfortunately it wasn't high enough so right now nothing's screwed into it. The toggle bolts on the top of the cabinet ended up being much higher and matched with the bottom mount we made I think it has enough strength..I hope lol.

Just finished putting all four up and I'm beat..time for bed and will post some pics tomorrow.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Finally got around to taking some pictures. Putting up the cabinets was a great success. Don't have a camera anymore but will take better pics when I can borrow one. Definitely glad I didn't try putting five up because there definitely isn't enough room. After putting the cars in, though, I quickly realized I have too many cars and theres still lots in their boxes. So I'm considering whether or not I should cut more glass but I'm a little worried about putting on more weight..

The second issue I'm having is that the thin piece of wood backing on one of the cabinets is warped inwards so I can't close the door with the glass in..going to have to figure something out to straight it out. Anyone have any ideas?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Wow well done! Nice cabinets, nice collection! :clap:

Yes cut more cut, don't need to worry about the weight. Remember you dealing with "dead" weight here. As for the backing, how about taking it out?

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:36 pm

I actually didn't think about taking it out..but it's already screwed in and don't want to pull it out again lol. I'm going to try to find something to try and push it back in place and hopefully over time it'll work.

mcaf123

Post by mcaf123 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:43 am

Kwando wrote: I'm a little worried about putting on more weight.
I've had the same worry ever since I got married!!! ;)
But seriously, that's a great job you've done there and you deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:33 am

looks great, Dennis. I love how those shelves look & they really show off the cars well.

Kwando

Re: Kwando's Collection Journal

Post by Kwando » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Some updated pics, guys. I recently sold my DSLR so these cell pics will have to do for now..I still have lots of cars in boxes I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet..some will be sold off and my office is slowly coming together so maybe I'll be able to bust out the rest by the end of this year. I seem to be rotating quite often though. Enjoy!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Love it. Very classy bunch

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Very nice! You can easily add more shelves to the cabinets

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks guys! Definitely need to get around to getting new glass and pegs.

Return to “Member Collections”