So..I took the AA Mclaren F1 LM apart and discover something

AUTOart related news, headlines and general discussion.
kickinoutyo

So..I took the AA Mclaren F1 LM apart and discover something

Post by kickinoutyo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:52 pm

I couldn't stand the ugly license plate stuck in front of the grill and also cheap exhaust tips looks terrible ,so I took the AA Mclaren F1 LM apart to address these issues. After taking the model apart, I've noticed exhaust cover lid was actually separate piece and was bolted shut with one single bolt. I un-loosen the bolt and to my surprise lid opened and it was even hinged! And even bigger surprise! Exhaust and mufflers had lot more details than what I thought! It even has almost correct color metal heat shields on top of the muffler!

So, my guess is that AA first intended to have this lid open to show exhaust details like the regular F1 models ,but they later discovered that lid was not suppose to be hinged and needs to be completely removable like the front lid. So they probably bolted it shut and just played dumb.... :hehe: :hehe:

So, If anybody wants to have this feature open like mine, I can write up step by step instruction. I know it's expensive model to mess with ,but It's pretty easy to do if you follow my instruction...you guys can Thank me later... :rock2:

Also, I attached picture of the grill after removing the license plate. As you can see this mod is not for the beginners...It will need careful cutting of the grill and two bars behind it. so please don't try if you are not fully committed! Don't say I didn't warn you!

StratosWRC

Re: So..I took the AUTOart Mclaren F1 LM apart and discover

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Haha yeah that's not something I'd be willing to attempt, but good job nonetheless!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:37 pm

OMG LOOK AT ALL THAT DETAIL! THE BEST IS LEFT HIDDEN AWAY!! :doh:
So, If anybody wants to have this feature open like mine, I can write up step by step instruction. I know it's expensive model to mess with ,but It's pretty easy to do if you follow my instruction...you guys can Thank me later...
Please do I will add it to the "How To" Section of the website! TIA!!

Mac47

Post by Mac47 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Freaking astonishing. I will read your instructions with interest.

kickinoutyo

Post by kickinoutyo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:24 pm

Alright guys, Here's step by step on how to remove the bumper to un-lock the exhaust cover lid.

1. Remove 6 bolts that I indicated in 'Green'
2. Pry out tires very carefully.
3. Remove 2 bolts in red area. (These two bolts holds the rear bumper in place)
4. After removing 2 bolts in red area, slowly wiggle the rear bumper loose (Bottom chassis is pretty loose at this point and you should be able to wiggle the rear bumper off)
5. You should be able to get to the single bolt that's holding the lid shut.
6. If you can't not get to the bolt this way, go ahead separate the chassis from the body. It should be very easy to do ,so don't be afraid ,but I doubt you have to do that to get
to the bolt.

Some more picture of the Exhaust area open:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:45 pm

Thank you. I will publish it soon!!

the1

Post by the1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:35 am

I can see no REAL reason for sealing that hatch and hiding such great detailing. Weird decision on Autoart's part.
Good job, kickinoutyo!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 am

the1 wrote:I can see no REAL reason for sealing that hatch and hiding such great detailing. Weird decision on Autoart's part.
Good job, kickinoutyo!
100% agree. As mentioned the real car does allow for rear access in the same manner but not hinged. why then :scratchhead:

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:36 am

Wow great easter egg from AUTOart. Thanks for sharing!

scottj

Re: So..I took the AA Mclaren F1 LM apart and discover something

Post by scottj » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:51 pm

I think the reason AA didn't allow the hatch to open is the wing is not supposed to move with it. Likey came to that realization with pressure to launch.

With some work and guts the rear section with the wing could be cut away from the front and reattached to the body using the original screw leaving the front to open per the real car.

Return to “AUTOart”