REVIEW: Paragon BMW M4 Coupe

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
sash07

REVIEW: Paragon BMW M4 Coupe

Post by sash07 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi Everyone

So yesterday my BMW M4 model arrived and I was really looking forward to snapping up some pics and comparing it to my other M3 models.

This model has been widely criticized by most of the collectors in the diecast community. When I first saw pics of the model from the toy show in January, I too was very disappointed with the model. It looked terrible. After receiving mine and seeing it in the flesh, I must say that it is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. It does have a few issues, but you be the judge of that.

I'm not the type of collector that moans/complains about small details, as long as the model looks like the real car, I'm happy. BTW this is my first sort of review that I've done for a model, so please bear with me if I missed something.

Please share all your views and opinions.

Enjoy!

The only complaint I have with the front is the solid/non-perforated grilles at the bottom, other than that, I think it looks good.

Now to the most talked about issue with the model, the WHEELS! I have no idea why Paragon decided to go with the 18inch wheels. For an //M model car, I think BMW should have only given the option of either a 19 or 20inch rim.

When you look at a picture of the 1:1 with the 18inch wheels (see below), I don't think it looks far off from the wheels on the model. My only issue would be the profile of the tyre used by Paragon. I feel that it should have been a lower profile tyre.

The back of the car looks to be fairly accurate as compared to the real car. This is definitely my favourite part of the model. Paragon did a good job with the tail pieces, a much better job than Kyosho did with the E92 M3.

And now for the opening bits, something you will never get on the GT Spirit :D :D

The interior is very nicely detailed. I would say that it is on par with the Kyosho BMW's

Now for some pics of the M4 with it's older siblings

All in all, I think that this is a pretty decent effort by Paragon. I got mine from Modelissimo for 60 Euros plus shipping and customs, which I think was a good deal. I don't regret buying the model. I will add the Yas Marina blue version as well when it's released.

If you're on the fence about getting the model, I'd say go for it. Although the GT Spirit model seems to look better than this one, no other company is going to make an M4 with opening parts. I prefer diecast to resin anyday.

What do you think?

[KRAFTIG]

Re: REVIEW : Paragon BMW M4 Coupe

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri May 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Wow I'm some what impressed with the model too. I ad the same experience with their BMW M5. The issue with the wheels are the size not the overall execution, definitely bigger is better here! The shutlines on the rear hatch is a little sub-par but the model looks very good overall. I just might add one too!

http://www.diecastsociety.com/review-pa ... r-edition/

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri May 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Looks better than I thought.

As for the tires, I quote Paragon on this: "We have no say in how the model looks. BMW tell us what to do, and they sign off on all samples, we don't control anything."

So I guess BMW wants its models to come with winter tires?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri May 29, 2015 7:59 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Looks better than I thought.

As for the tires, I quote Paragon on this: "We have no say in how the model looks. BMW tell us what to do, and they sign off on all samples, we don't control anything."

Ha ha.. I can't believe it either, you always want to show the car, especially the "M" badge in the best light :nt:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri May 29, 2015 8:11 pm

That's the thing about this model, it doesn't look like an M car to me. And it's mostly the wheels. Wheels that size are preferable on a real car cause of improved ride comfort and such, but on a model, you want them nice and pretty and at least 20".

JamesonsViggen

Post by JamesonsViggen » Fri May 29, 2015 8:23 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Looks better than I thought.

That's a cop out.

One of my first jobs out of school was doing Rc cars for a variety of licenses including Ford, GM, Mopar etc. Yes, they got final sign off, but I could do plenty of small tweaks and interpretations. The idea that if the cad modeler wanted a more accurate tire aspect ratio that BMW would somehow veto that is comical.

The only terrible experience I ever had was getting approval on things from Jesse James around the time of Monsters Garage...everything needed more skulls lol.

Hanako

Post by Hanako » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Sadly GT Spirit did not have license to release the M4. I have always this issue with Paragon's wheels & brakes.. But overall model looks ok.. 5.5/10 | For value; 7.5/10

Return to “Model Reviews”