Are the rising prices affecting your buying habits?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
StratosWRC

Are the rising prices affecting your buying habits?

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:34 pm

As the title states, do you notice yourself buying less or being more selective? Back in the day, I used to buy anything and everything. Nowadays, with the CMCs breaching the $600 cdn mark, I'm resorting to a single example, a liveried race car, if possible. I got a Silver 250 GTO by CMC, and a red one coming in, but I think I'll be selling them both (already selling the silver actually), and will just get the racing version when it comes out. To buy all three would cost damn near $2K, which is ridiculous. Frankly, if I knew CMC would release the racing version, I would have skipped the plain bodies. To this day, I only own the racing example of the Alfa 6C, the Bugatti 57, and I'm yet to get the Alfa 8C. I would like the road going versions, but I simply can't afford them all at the same time.

I would have never found myself having this dilemma when CMCs cost under $400. Even Autoarts are getting ridiculous. I bought my original Mazda 787B for $250. I owned it for about 5-6 years, and sold it recently on ebay for $280, DESPITE it having wear and damage. The whole reason I sold it was to get a new "refreshed" example from the re-release, but that's $350 now! So I think it's time for me to narrow my focus even more and really concentrate on getting just one example of a model before I miss out on others.

I used to think if I don't like a model cause it's not detailed enough, maybe I'll just spruce it up, a la what damnyouebay does. I would also buy a model even though I wasn't 100% sure about it. Now I'm only buying the super detailed stuff that I'm 100% in love with. That's it, no more exceptions!

Shame! US dollar ruining everything. Rant over, men.

Gavin

Re: Are the rising prices affecting your buying habits?

Post by Gavin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:59 pm

the prices have absolutely affected my collection....though for me there are additional factors at work (display & storage space for my 500+ collection & household expenses that have increased massively).

Around 2000, when I restarted collecting & branched out to the higher end brands(meaning AA/KY/MC...not CMC/Exoto), there weren't many models over $100...now there aren't many under that level. There was one year I bought right around 50 models with an average cost of around $60. Last year I bought 14 models with an average cost of $75. I've become much more selective and AA, which is still the #1 brand in my collection has priced me out.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:09 pm

You betcha. The problem is compounded by the sorry excuse of our dollar.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:15 pm

DEFINITELY! I buy everything exclusivity local (Canada) or overseas. We get it twice in the a$$ cross-border shopping, crappy dollar and extraordinary high shipping fees (someone is getting rich here). Perfect example, I just received 11 models from the US, with shipping and duties it cost me $361! :doh:

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:16 pm

The prices are annoying me BUT not quite on the same level as others from what I read. I guess I'm just in a better financial position

Same thing with the "quality" of models or what people deem "quality". I think the new Auto Art Lamborghini Huracan looks great and I can't wait to get it in Lime Green yet people are bashing it left right and center. Its the one thing I have found since I got into the hobby, there is A LOT of whiners.

Anyways, I like what I like and I really like Auto Art models so until the prices hit say $500 for a signature model then I'm ok........I don't like the increasing prices but I'm ok as it is

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:35 pm

For me it's the CMCs. I remember buying the Bugatti 57 and that was $485. I was like okay, expensive but worth it. Then the Alfa 6C cost me either $520 or 540. I remember thinking, this is borderline not worth it. The new GTO is $600 or so. Definitely not worth it. The liveried GTOs will be 650+. Insane!

And KRAFTIG, $360 for shipping and duties? Were you buying from Exoto? Lol

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:24 pm

No, resin model distributor.

JamesonsViggen

Post by JamesonsViggen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:39 pm

I find I am buying using the flat rate shipping sites and sites that use the Euro. I watch the Euro like a hawk.

I am buying less Autoart, more Norev and resin. I have like 160-180 Autoarts but I find less value once cars soared past $100 for a typical new release. I rather go to 1/12 if I am spending over $150 a car. I have bought more 1/12 cars this year than in ten combined.

Fulgura

Post by Fulgura » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Forgot about buying them about 9 months until last week. And it's not an Autoart, it's a GT Spirit model -that means cheap as you do know. But even they aren't cheap enough in here. Your canadian dollar is in way better position than our turkish lira (1usd=2,92trl recently). Sold many models too. So yes, it was affected, and still affects me much.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 pm

I am usually careful what I buy and at what price. While living in Canada I feel quite lucky since a big part of my financial assets are in USD. So even if I always try to buy local I will go for the best deal even if it involves another currency. Recently I was able to pick several models I really wanted for a reasonable price among them several CMC Ferrari before their price hits the roof. A few weeks ago I pre-ordered three new CMC releases (250GTO LM livery, Talbot Lago and Auto-Union Hillclimb) but OMG even with all the discounts that's really a lot of dough :shock:

Mac47

Post by Mac47 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I've skipped probably 6 AUTOart models in the last two years that I would have bought at 2007 prices: MC12, EB110, Veyron SS, Agera, MP4-12C, One-77... Still hope to get them, but now have to start saving for P1 and 918.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:06 am

Ya these are tough times. The good old days are gone. Does make it more special when you buy 1 instead of 5. I finally finished school and started work and even though my income increased, my expenses did too, so really I have the same amount to spend on models as I did before lol.

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:05 am

Ofcourse it is. I have a tiny budget since I have more hobbies. Usually I buy cheap/second hand models to strip and rebuild, but I'd like to buy a few nice ones. For this year I have set my mind on the Soul models Ariel Atom and that will be my only model over 100 euro's. Maybe if Autoart launches a BAC Mono in a proper color I'll buy that as well but that's basically it. I'd love a Autoart F1 LM but that stretches my budget too much so I have live with the UT F1 LM.
If Bburago comes with a 458 speciale Aperta I'll buy that as well, but I don't see that happening, so probably will merge a HW 458 spider with the front and rear of a Bburago 458 Speciale R&P. Build cost in materials and models should stay within 100 euro's so that's acceptable. And the project Zonda's continue so maybe one day I can make some money with these or cast parts.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:42 am

Zondaracer wrote:Ofcourse it is. I have a tiny budget since I have more hobbies. Usually I buy cheap/second hand models to strip and rebuild, but I'd like to buy a few nice ones. For this year I have set my mind on the Soul models Ariel Atom and that will be my only model over 100 euro's. Maybe if Autoart launches a BAC Mono in a proper color I'll buy that as well but that's basically it. I'd love a Autoart F1 LM but that stretches my budget too much so I have live with the UT F1 LM.
If Bburago comes with a 458 speciale Aperta I'll buy that as well, but I don't see that happening, so probably will merge a HW 458 spider with the front and rear of a Bburago 458 Speciale R&P. Build cost in materials and models should stay within 100 euro's so that's acceptable. And the project Zonda's continue so maybe one day I can make some money with these or cast parts.
YOU are so lucky you have them skills! :D

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:27 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Zondaracer wrote:Ofcourse it is. I have a tiny budget since I have more hobbies. Usually I buy cheap/second hand models to strip and rebuild, but I'd like to buy a few nice ones. For this year I have set my mind on the Soul models Ariel Atom and that will be my only model over 100 euro's. Maybe if Autoart launches a BAC Mono in a proper color I'll buy that as well but that's basically it. I'd love a Autoart F1 LM but that stretches my budget too much so I have live with the UT F1 LM.
YOU are so lucky you have them skills! :D

and time....

Return to “General Discussion”