Are the rising prices affecting your buying habits?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
[KRAFTIG]

Re: Are the rising prices affecting your buying habits?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:20 pm

It will be here. Our love affairs will cars will never fade. It's not all depressing, there are some very good budget brands, and resin reps that make the grade. :clap:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:41 pm

I hope it'll be around. Resins and entry level stuff dont get me excited like CMCs and Exotos do

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:53 pm

StratosWRC wrote:I hope it'll be around. Resins and entry level stuff dont get me excited like CMCs and Exotos do
Wes, I'll slip in a Playboy ma for each resin you buy! so you get the "excited" feeling!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Haha then I may consider it

mcaf123

Post by mcaf123 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:20 am

A really interesting topic here. Yes, I am annoyed that prices go up, but for me personally, the hobby has started getting more expensive as I've slowly started earning more money when going through university and now in a proper job, so I guess I don't feel the pinch as much as maybe some other people. It helps that I've drastically changed from buying any nice model in mint condition (especially dealer editions) I can find to just focussing on super/hypercars with a 0-60 time of around 3 secs or less and also selling off a load of models I didn't really care for to fund a spree of AutoArt beauties.

I have also found myself gravitating towards resin models as well. They are comparatively so reasonably priced that it's silly not to consider them. Yes, they don't open, but as a pure display piece they are generally really good for the money (unless they get hiked in price - green RWB Porsche, I'm looking at you!!). I also try and buy a few models at once to save on postage and drive a hard bargain whenever possible. I used to buy all my models from the UK, but there aren't really any proper sellers here anymore, so I tend to buy from Europe using a fee free credit card to save a few quid on every purchase and also take advantage of forum discounts as well. I've also recently bought 1:12 models to fill the gaps - there are a heck of a lot for decent prices out there and the larger scale over 1:18 allows alot for detail.

Autobahn

Post by Autobahn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Gavin wrote:the prices have absolutely affected my collection....though for me there are additional factors at work (display & storage space for my 500+ collection & household expenses that have increased massively).

Around 2000, when I restarted collecting & branched out to the higher end brands(meaning AUTOart/KY/MC...not CMC/Exoto), there weren't many models over $100...now there aren't many under that level. There was one year I bought right around 50 models with an average cost of around $60. Last year I bought 14 models with an average cost of $75. I've become much more selective and AUTOart, which is still the #1 brand in my collection has priced me out.
My thoughts exactly, Gavin. My collection has never grown beyond 150 models, because I have frequently sold models to acquire new ones. However, I'm getting to the point where even that practice is less feasible, due to the lack of space, increased household expenses with two growing children increasingly involved in school-related activities, and yes, the ridiculous rate of price increases.

I think you made a good point in your second post about perspective. When I first discovered Bburago diecasts as a kid, they were priced about the same as a Maisto model at SAM's Club or Costco. When I resumed collecting as an adult, around the same time as you (2000), very few models were priced over $100. Now, $100 is entry-level for just about anything that isn't a Maisto or a Bburago, with only a few notable exceptions like Norev and Welly that still offer sub-$100 products.

It is what it is, I suppose, but it certainly affects my buying habits. I haven't completely given up on AUTOart models, but I am going to have to be a lot more selective about the ones I buy.

Guleb

Post by Guleb » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:45 am

That's crazy! I wanted to buy Fairlady 240z and I almost get a heart attack; the price was 199€, the grey one even 209€?! I remember the not-so-distant days when Autoart GT3 RS was 139€ and now the same quality is 50% more? Or Huracan for more than 200€? Those were the prices for CMC 250 SWB last January and not for plastic model. Crazy.

Oh and Kyosho 250 GTO; those were 99€ and now the upgraded version is 230€, CMC is 450€.

I was very selective buyer already in the past 3 years with approx 15 new models per year, but now; I don't know. I think this is a bubble like with all collectibles. The prices went thru the roof. Oil is cheap, money is cheap; you even have to pay to have deposit in EU bank, so everybody is looking for alternatives. Classic car's prices are skyrocketing (M3 E30 for 130.000€, compared to new M3 F80 for 70.000€?!), not to mention other blue chip cars.

So, is traditional diecast collector dying out? Is everybody just inflating the prices because they want to flip the car and earn something? I hope that this bubble will burst soon.

/bp

Post by /bp » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:36 pm

+1 to this thread. If you all noticed, I had a quite year. I had to skip few models that were $50 to $100 (USD) excessively priced (add shipping and customs to that -_-) ..

Nicadraus

Post by Nicadraus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:43 pm

This didn't really bother me before since AUTOart stepped up their game in adding more details such as proper hinges instead of doglegs, more engine and suspension parts, nicer interior, etc. But now, since they are producing more plastic models, less detailed, disappointing engine bays and very high prices, it just made me cut down in buying. Sometimes, I find an alternative of a cheaper one and just customize or improve the model (like the Welly Huracan). Other times, look for older AUTOart/Kyosho models. Kyosho now have been producing so many sealed plastic models both in 1:18 & 1:12 scales which is also a big disappointment to me and many others.

Return to “General Discussion”