REVIEW: TopSpeed McLaren 675LT

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: TopSpeed McLaren 675LT

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:46 pm

The team at TopSpeed were gracious enough to forward a sample model of their latest venture, the McLaren 675LT. If you haven’t heard of the brand they are relatively new, a sister company of TrueScale Miniatures. Their focus at the moment is on sport and supercars from various marquees, while incorporating a balance between price and quality, the end result is quite satisfying to say the least. TopSpeed pieces retail for a suggested 135US, which make them comparable to their competitors GT Spirit.

Since this is our first presentation of a TopSpeed scale model I thought I would share the exterior packaging for you all. The box is huge, larger than your typical scale piece. Reason being each model ships with a sizable wood base which incorporates the TopSpeed logo – see photos. The exterior box is all black with notable TopSpeed logo and informational literature rear and side. Inside the model is encased by a styrofoam shell. Our sample arrived safe and sound. Remove four screws from the wood base and the McLaren 675LT is set free.

The exterior of the McLaren 675LT is finished in Silica White. Paint on the model is applied with precision and care. It looks great! Carbon fibre execution and application is good, though I’ve seen better, but usually in higher price point pieces. No issues with shutlines or panel gaps as the TopSpeed series models are all completed in sealed resin.

If I have to complain about something it would be the ride stance. Seems the optional lift kit is stuck in the high option in the front of the car – the gap is too high while the rear seems to be inline. We’re had a DS forum member mention the same on the stance, so I don’t believe this issue is exclusive to our sample piece. I do appreciate the attention to detail on the gas cap/lid. Instead on the typical flat and full of paint from other manufacturers, TopSpeed added some depth. Overall the exterior lines on the McLaren 675LT do justice to the original.

Moving to the front of the McLaren 675LT you will notice the nicely crafted from intake with lower aerodynamics lower chin spoiler. There are no perforated grilles here. Detail on the headlights is good and front logo is a simple flat decal. The rear is much like the front, very nicely done. I give props on the carbon fiber working, as there is a lot here. All the elements of the rear are here and well inline with the 1:1. TopSpeed decided to release the model with the spoiler in the down position. Good move on their part as it flows perfectly with the exterior lines.

The wheels are a work of art. The entire package is executed well; this includes the carbon rotors and calipers and McLaren logo to boot. Something I love to see on my scale models. Well done guys!

The heart of the McLaren 675LT is covered a thin piece of clear plastic, similar to what is used on the exterior windows. It does the job, but it feels and looks fragile in nature. The motor detail itself is quite impressive, much better than I would have anticipated. You’ll all be pleased with it I’m sure. Paint, carbon fibre and decals all add to the layers and depth, which adds the realism we collector’s crave!

The undercarriage of the model is quite simple as the photos with show. I would recommend a little more care and refinement in the finished product and ensure wheel wells are fully covered in black too.

Inside the cockpit is well attended too, not one element is crazy and over the top, but the entire package works well at replicating the inner working and beauty of the McLaren 675LT. For one, colour matching the interior seats with the exterior white is a good move. I do apologize for the simple images, still working out the bugs with the new photography kit.

TopSpeed I’m impressed! For your second effort after the initial Honda NSX, your team is heading in the right direction. Please take note of my simple criticism above. One thing I would truly change is to delete the wood base from future releases. NO true collector wants them or would utilize them. SPACE is always at a premium for any collector, so I promise you 99% of the time they remain in the box or worst thrown out. Take the adding saving in reducing the overall box size and no base to focus on refinement. This includes more photo-etched bits and related elements. I will grantee a more warmer welcome from a broader base of collectors. And to those collector’s that maybe thinking or want to ask, YES, this model is as good as any GT Spirit product I’ve reviewed to date. Enjoy the pics!

Kwando

Re: REVIEW: TopSpeed McLaren 675LT

Post by Kwando » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:41 am

Very nice! Those wheels really look fantastic. The front wheels look very narrow to me.

Guleb

Post by Guleb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Nice! Are those LTs already available in the stores?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Guleb wrote:Nice! Are those LTs already available in the stores?
I'm not sure. I personally haven't seem them. Go to there website to find distributor near you, email them to find retail outlet.

J-B

Post by J-B » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:29 pm

I think TO Motorsports had these on pre order...

Nice review, and nice looking car. Considering branching out to include McLaren, and this would be a key piece. As its sealed resin (with presumably a solid front axle), it should be pretty easy to lower the front, no?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:39 pm

J-B wrote:I think TO Motorsports had these on pre order...

Nice review, and nice looking car. Considering branching out to include McLaren, and this would be a key piece. As its sealed resin (with presumably a solid front axle), it should be pretty easy to lower the front, no?
Based on what I see the model overall is quite a simpleton at its core, but that's resin... Piece of metal and two wheels attached on either end. So I think lowering it won't be a huge task.

mcaf123

Post by mcaf123 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:58 am

CK Modelcars had these for 130EUR. Sold out within the day it was listed

Ninjajimmy

Post by Ninjajimmy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 pm

That is great! Love those seats

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:40 pm

I dont like it, looks cheap. GT Spirit retails for less, and look more expensive. The headlights in particular are bad. The rear wheels stick too far out, and as mentioned its a bit high at the front.

The real car has a carbon fibre-y edge along the lower part of the side-nose (lol, hard to explain with words in this weird language we use here), like here:

It sort of connects the melted headlights with the intake section below. On that model the omission makes the lower edge of the headlight glass look out of place. Nitpicking? Maybe, but it looks ugly to me.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Definitely nitpicking, the headlights are more than fair based on the price point. The problem with the rear wheels is the axles are slightly loose, this allows them to spin easily, which is near impossible on a GTS model. On the flip side, depending on how you handle and position the model the offset will be slightly affected. Something I should have mentioned in the review.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 pm

I am pretty sure that GT Spirit would have done it right by a simple stroke of black paint. They have people very talented with a paint brush. if it is was my model I would fix but maybe it's just me.

Return to “Model Reviews”