REVIEW: Schuco Porsche 911 (991) GTS Targa 4

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: Schuco Porsche 911 (991) GTS Targa 4

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:22 am

The team at Schuco is definitely on a run as of late, this week we look at the 1:18 diecast Porsche 911 (991) GTS Targa 4. I’m not going into depth with this model as I have with reviews of past. If you want the complete picture please see our review of the Porsche 911 (991) Carrera GTS Coupe and Cabriolet HERE. What this review will focus on are specific features and challenges, basically a high-level view of the 991 Targa 4.

From the exterior point of view there are two striking elements, obviously the Targa top and second the beautifully painted Metallic Blue paint. The model does not come equipped with functional roof – now that would have been the icing on the cake!, though Schuco does supply the car with a plastic removal-able piece. Adding and removing the roof is easy as pie. On the flip side I didn’t enjoy the overall fit and finish of the look with the roof on. No biggie, the model should not be displayed with the roof on anyway!

The remainder of the exterior is up to speed with previous models we looked at. Attention to detail is beautiful throughout, functioning rear spoiler and opening gas lid are just a few of the highlights.

It has come to our attention that this series of 991 Porsches wheels are possibly not represented in correct scale. Based on a breakdown of wheels provided from various manufactures who have assembled a 991, the Schuco cars are the biggest by far, tipping the scales at 21-22″. I’m always on the team that bigger is better, but if the wheels aren’t in the OEM catalogue, where did Schuco go wrong? I’ll reach out to Schuco for comment and post any information I receive here.

Also the quality control bug bit me once again, front rotor was swinging in the wind as I pulled her from her shell. As mentioned before it is an easy fix. To remove the wheel, grab wheel and pull forward. A few dabs of glue later the model was back to new.

The interior is again just lovely. With the roof removed all is in plain sight for all to see, you can enjoy the awesome attention to detail Schuco has put into the model. Again seats are operational – forward and back tilt is built in. Nice touch boys!

All in all I believe the Porsche 911 (991) GTS Targa 4 is a great piece, even with the possible out of scale wheels. At roughly $160CND this model represents almost everything a collector asks for, mainly DIECAST with opening bits. I think AUTOart and Minichamps need to review their strategies and pricing policies, if Schuco keeps up with this trend they will continue to absorb more market share. I now need to source the early representation of the Targa by Schuco, look for the review soon… Enjoy the pics!

J-B

Re: REVIEW: Schuco Porsche 911 (991) GTS Targa 4

Post by J-B » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:45 am

Question: if you were to have one Targa 991, this or the GT Spirit model? As much as I like my "launch version/representation" model from GTS, with great fit and finish, I'm tempted to get rid of it for this.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:07 pm

J-B wrote:Question: if you were to have one Targa 991, this or the GT Spirit model? As much as I like my "launch version/representation" model from GTS, with great fit and finish, I'm tempted to get rid of it for this.
Easy! Schuco, nothing replaces metal with opening bits! :okay:

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:24 pm

I ordered a Schuco Cayman GT4 after reading your great review and like the other Schuco Porsche you got one brake disk rotor came loose. After reading this it was very easy to gently pull the wheel out and glue the rotor back in place. But in the process of removing the wheel I noticed that the metal disk had 3 perfect glue dots facing outward and no glue on the other side (inward). Considering it is impossible for the disk to flip around I am let to believe someone tampered with it or maybe a worker at the factory kinda sabotaged it? Truly odd!! That little story aside these Schuco's Porsche are great models for the price, truly well done and highly recommended for Porsche enthousiasts.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:24 am

Atalante wrote:I ordered a Schuco Cayman GT4 after reading your great review and like the other Schuco Porsche you got one brake disk rotor came loose. After reading this it was very easy to gently pull the wheel out and glue the rotor back in place. But in the process of removing the wheel I noticed that the metal disk had 3 perfect glue dots facing outward and no glue on the other side (inward). Considering it is impossible for the disk to flip around I am let to believe someone tampered with it or maybe a worker at the factory kinda sabotaged it? Truly odd!! That little story aside these Schuco's Porsche are great models for the price, truly well done and highly recommended for Porsche enthousiasts.
LOL I doubt it was sabotage, great theory thought :D

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Great looking model in an outstanding color.

I have the GT-Spirit non-GTS Targa, so won't be adding this one. I do agree that the wheels are one size too large...kind of disappointing & am interested in seeing if Schuco responds to the question.

Model Maniac

Post by Model Maniac » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:55 am

I can't get past the huge wheels........are they spinners???

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Model Maniac wrote:I can't get past the huge wheels........are they spinners???
No. I actually got some feedback from Schuco. They admit the scale is off part marginally off. I will highlight the detail in a website feature post ASAP.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:26 pm

** UPDATE ** So I spoke with Peter Brunner from Schuco, he's product developer, and actually managed the 991 platform. They do admit the wheel size is off from the 1:1. Basically if comes down to the error in measurement - otter vs. inner numbers. The wheels are in fact 21" based on scale math. Schuco thought the tolerance was acceptable, so the model went into production. I'm not totally sold, but this miss isn't the worst thing that could be off.

Emil_SWE

Post by Emil_SWE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:** UPDATE ** So I spoke with Peter Brunner from Schuco, he's product developer, and actually managed the 991 platform. They do admit the wheel size is off from the 1:1. Basically if comes down to the error in measurement - otter vs. inner numbers. The wheels are in fact 21" based on scale math. Schuco thought the tolerance was acceptable, so the model went into production. I'm not totally sold, but this miss isn't the worst thing that could be off.
I agree, not the end of the world. But...

This was actually one of the things that made me go from building model kits to collecting diecast. In the model kit world this is very common (wrong size wheels, usually too small), and I think it detracts SO much from the overall appearence of the car. Hopefully Schuco take note that we care about stuff like this.

Take the 1/24 Tamiya Aston Martin DBS as an example of how wrong-sized wheels and tyres ruin a model. See what I mean?

1:1

1/24

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:43 pm

They are usual not this careless. Hopefully with me addressing the issue they won't make any future mistakes. I do commend them for answering my email, many other brands, which will remain nameless do not!

Emil_SWE

Post by Emil_SWE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:47 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:They are usual not this careless. Hopefully with me addressing the issue they won't make any future mistakes. I do commend them for answering my email, many other brands, which will remain nameless do not!
Yes! They should be commended. Good customer service! :okay:

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:47 pm

With the wheels being so easy to take off, maybe get some 3rd party ones and make it unique?

I still havent bought any of these Schuco Porsches, but the 911S is tempting me. I want to put Autoart wheels on it and upgrade it a bit.

Impressive that Schuco replied and actually admitted the fault. As you say, it would not have been a shock if such a question was met with radio silence. :okay:

flathead

Post by flathead » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:39 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote: I now need to source the early representation of the Targa by Schuco, look for the review soon…
Isn't the Minichamps 911 Targa the only 1/18 model of the first gen car? Do you know if the backlight on the model is removable as it was on the actual car?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:55 pm

I don't know. No it is not.

Return to “Model Reviews”