What do you take into account when deciding to buy?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
BeemerJunkie

What do you take into account when deciding to buy?

Post by BeemerJunkie » Sun May 07, 2017 8:31 am

So since I have started re-collecting models I have noticed how prices compared to when I used to collect minichamps DTM models are now through the roof, especially the resin models.

When buying models I try and buy stuff that obviously I like but also stuff which I think will hold its value or increase in value over time so that if the time ever comes to sell, I can at least get my money back.

However, I was thinking, with some models costing in excess of £500 now, are these models which will increase in value over time or even will these models be easily re-sellable given that the pool of people with the sort of budget to spend at this price and above must be quite narrow.

Just interested on everyone's thoughts and opinions.

I saw a beautiful matte black ferrari f40 but the cost is £700 without shipping :o

[KRAFTIG]

Re: What do you take into account when deciding to buy?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun May 07, 2017 9:04 am

First if you're into the hobby because of retaining value, increasing value etc. this is not the hobby for you. You should be in the hobby because of your passion for cars. My criteria is simple, does it fit my theme, how is the quality, what is the price point and most importantly DO I LIKE IT?

I also look at resins, its a fact they aren't going anywhere. Anyway if a diecast with opening bits arrives one day, I sell it off and upgrade - my favorite saying, they are place holder :)

Unfortunately we can't buy everything we see unless your pockets run extremely deep! :popcorn:

BeemerJunkie

Post by BeemerJunkie » Sun May 07, 2017 10:32 am

Ye I hear what you are saying.

I am a big petrol head so def cars are a passion of mine. I am from a BMW background and have a heavily modded E46 M3. I got into model cars a few yrs back as I thought they were cool but then I stopped after collecting all the E30 M3 DTM series and managing to make a healthy profit on them at that time.

I guess I only started to think about resale and price point when I started collecting again this yr and came across resin models.

My previous collection of cars did not really ever breach the £100 mark e.g. Jada toys and Minichamp models but with the Liberty walk stuff all being resin and the price point being considerably higher price point then I was used to so I have bought cars I like and try to buy colours which I think will hold their value or go up in price and stuff which has not been mass produced too much. But I could have the wrong line of thinking and it may just not be the right way to go about it.

Its a shame they don't make more LB works models which are fully opening and moving. I was very hesitant at buying resin models to begin with but then saw that the theme I am currently after which is LB/RWB cars were only available in resin models so had no choice.

I mean, for me, I don;t even have very much place to display cars. Currently I have 10 on display and the rest in storage so when I buy a car I think am I just going to spend a ton of money on a car to just sit in the box which then may not actually appreciate in value or even hold its current value?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun May 07, 2017 1:54 pm

ts a shame they don't make more LB works models which are fully opening and moving.
I think AUTOart has some in the works. To what extent the opening bits will be is up to them :|

Silasloki

Post by Silasloki » Fri May 12, 2017 2:59 pm

I collect 1/4 scale statues as well as diecast vehicles, I used to collect wargames miniatures, and also 1/6th scale action figures (aka - man dollies).

The one truth I have found, all of these things are bad investments! The companies selling these products talk about limited edition this, and high value collectable that, it's all hogwash. These are simply small scaled mass produced (disposable) objects of "art". Some might even say, expensive toys.

Yes, there will be exceptions, and it's these exceptions which drive the fallacy that these collectibles represent a viable short, medium or long term investment.

Now, I try to be very selective in what I buy, as I don't purchase based on an expected ROI. I strongly believe in quality over quantity, so I would happily have a super expensive one model "collection", with amazing detail, great build quality, exceptional material choice and near perfect accuracy than 30 low end models with compromised material, accuracy, detailing and build quality.
Last edited by Silasloki on Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Fri May 12, 2017 8:59 pm

I agree the hobby should never be considered as an investment. For that just see your banker!

That being said people are in the hobby for different reasons. Some are petrolhead that just can't own all the cars they like, some like the historic aspect of cars (or race cars) and put together their own mini-museum and other just like the models cars. So there are probably as many reasons to buy models as there are collectors.

If you are buying a model you want there is nothing wrong selecting one that will hold its value better (not saying they can increase in value). Patiently waiting for the right price, or for a good diecast model rather than lazily or impulsively buying the lastest expensive resin re-release (or limited serie of 10 units supposedly super exclusive) not only makes you smart but is also a great way to make sure your models will hold their value. Sometimes passion can go together with smart purchases.

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Sat May 13, 2017 1:30 am

I simply ask myself: Will I sell that in two weeks because it bores me? Its very easy to just buy something because there is a deal or because you havent bought anything in a while. I dont want to get (deeper) into hoarding.

But yeah, to view the hobby as an investment would lose me sleep. Very few models really blow up in value and people always seem to say "damn, should have bought one when they couldnt give them away", so just lean back and treat yourself with something you like because you like it, not because you might earn 50 euros down the line.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am

Some are petrolhead that just can't own all the cars they like,
That's me! :woot:

Return to “General Discussion”