Quality is constant disapointment. How do you deal with it?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
karlis

Quality is constant disapointment. How do you deal with it?

Post by karlis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Always been a petrol-head. Recently I decided to start a collection of 1:18 models. I expected this to be fun and exciting hobby, however within the first months of doing the thing this has become a love-hate relationship.

Looking at the models, deciding which ones to get and chasing after them is the most rewarding and exciting experience, however the deliveries and disappointments during unpacking are not, but is it normal that one has to be petrified every time delivery man brings another model?

Almost every AUTOart or Minichamps with one of the following defects (most defects are on new models):
* "Paint rash" or tiniest bubbles visible under some angle and light on every 3rd or 4th model be it new AUTOart or used Kyosho. Mostly invisible with naked eye.
* Mirror, spoiler or headlight present in the box but no longer attached to the car (on new models) - happened 3 times, easily fixable with glue, but still annoying.
* Parts (e.g. mirrors, trim pieces, bumpers, lights) glued at incorrect angles at factory.
* Inconsistent or too-big body gaps.
* Tiny paint chips or scratches on paint or windows.
* Decals heavily damaged on a new model, body parts broken (this is my threshold, I send those models back for a refund)

And then some smaller rants, these are less painful:
* Wheels often attached at an incorrect angle, from factory
* Pop-up headlights not perfectly flush with surface, from factory
* Steering wheel making cracking noise on some AutoARTs
* Body parts not staying open

To be true, out of 30 models, maybe only some 3 - 5 are absolutely flawless. Happens on AUTOart, Minichamps, Kyosho. The biggest faults usually are found on new models, as used models I buy on eBay only when there are HD images present.

Am I too pedantic or too bigger of a nitpick?

How do you learn to live with this?

What is your threshold where you keep or decide to send model back?

Are you more scared or positively excited when unboxing a new model?

p.s. I am new to this, and it would be cool to know how this is for others.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Quality is constant disapointment. How do you deal with

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi, and welcome to DS!

I've been collecting for a numbers of years, what I've learned is most models are absolutely issue free. I'm somewhat OCD, but not at your level LOL. It is inevitable that diecast models will eventually have some sort of paint rash, now the level of severity differs. If your chasing after older models, expect it, especially from Kyosho.

I recently took delivery of an iScale Audi R8 Spyder, entire chassis on the right side wasn't flush with the body. I had to send it back. Also with that order came the Norev Vision 100 Concept. Though not defective from factory the sheer weight of the model collapsed the inner shell of the packaging. Surface scratches on the front glass and mis-aligned interior seats. Best part this was the replacement, 1st did the same!

Patience is key in this hobby. I can live with minuet issues but if I cannot correct an issue with a small touch of glue, a wipe of a cleaning rag or simple adjustment it goes back. And rightly so, based on the prices these models command today!

karlis

Post by karlis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Either you are very lucky or less obsessed with detail. I have yet to see an Autoart or Minichamps or Kyosho model that is absolutely perfect.

E.g.
* Autoart Porsche GT2 1/18 has incorrectly positioned rear wheels on all models (was worried before found in your review that it is normal).
* Autoart facelift Gallardos mostly have incorrect ride height on the front Axle (I was worried about mine until I saw in your review that it is normal)
* 50% of Minichamps 300 SL Gullwings have one or both front headlights glued upside down (took me weeks to notice on mine, then saw that 50% of pictures on the internet are models with this flaw)
* Autoart porsche 944, 911 (930), 924 most often have mirrors on moth sides at different and incorrect angles (same for most Autoart lambos)

Today received 3 models, none perfect - Minichams 300 SL Roadster (red one with hardtop) just to discover that half of rear decal is missing from factory (will send back), Minichamps Porsche GT3 991 with fallen off spoiler (glue did the trick, now looks as new) - both from colognemodelcars, Autoart Porsche 924 Carrera GT (from mondomodelcars) with tiny patch of glue on paint (will have to polish out) and minor paint rash here and there and one rear bootlid shock absorber not operating freely.

This is a bit upsetting.

Mac47

Post by Mac47 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Body parts not staying open! Argh! Floppy doors on the Huayra. Scissor doors that won't stay up on the old AA Diablo. Koenisegg clamshell slams shut, won't stay up with dampers. Hate it so much.

AOS

Post by AOS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Your standards of quality aren't the same as everyone. If you appreciate good work, I can understand. If you're like some real nit-picks, I'd say you're better off not getting into this hobby. I purchased a whole bunch of models in the past year and sold them in a month or two of owning them.

It sometimes has to do with QC issues, sometimes I just find one unappealing thing about the car and then I lose interest entirely.
Then at times, I have to question if I can let go of something so easily, why don't I just do myself a favour and not get so into it by dropping wads of cash on these things to begin with? I don't exactly have a huge sum of disposable money to be spending this loosely and carelessly. Money may not be an issue for you, but even just having to deal with something you lose interest in is in of itself a hassle.

karlis

Post by karlis » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:10 am

Just trying to find out what is considered normal and what is not here are some examples. Of course, these models can be photographed and looked at from other angles and then everything is ok. All example models are new, they have been purchased recently from 3 different sellers.

For me the most important thing is to understand is this normal and I should stop worrying and relax because nothing in model world is perfect or is almost every seller be it on eBay or otherwise ripping me off with flawed stock.

Body gap on a recently purchased Autoart Diablo. I mean it is not a tragic fault, but it could have been done properly.

Scratch on the grill (visible only at particular angles) on Autoart Corvette:

Paint rash on a new Autoart Miura (actually it is on 50% of all models new or old - on metallic paints it is difficult to see but it is there alright):

Popup headlight misalignment on Autoart LP400 (returned one with the same problem just to receive another model from different seller with the same issue - then gave up):

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I hear you, this is part of the hobby for sure, and the largest stress factor of them all. I recently bought two tuned R32`s - brand new release - from Autoart. Both have issues, but I am combining them to one perfect model. :rotfl: One was riddled with issues but the doors are perfect, the other one has a bad door. I got a good discount and since I mod cars and have use for lots of the parts in the sacrificial lamb one, I dont care too much in this case. That doesnt mean its not shit, though.

I cant love a faulty model so I sell or return all that have issues that I cant fix. Displaying something with the good side out just doesnt work for me.

Btw, the scratched grille and misaligned headlight is probably the easiest to fix. The grille can probably be fixed with something as easy as fine sandpaper ala 1200 grit, as I suspect thats photoetched metal. Glue a narrow sheet to a lollipop stick or something and sand it carefully, works a treat. I have spilled superglue, paint and all sorts of rubbish on photoetch, and sandpaper fixes that. The headlight needs the model to be disassembled, but if you dare to do that its probably straight forward to fix once you can inspect the mechanism.

Paint rash can also be fixed, but thats a bit more scary and difficult. Tamiya compounds, wet sanding, etc.

But yeah, you just have to figure out what is acceptable for you. And if you know you wont be able to love a model, dont take the partial refund, send it back.

jimbochoo

Post by jimbochoo » Sun May 14, 2017 12:43 am

I started this hobby last year and bought 12 diecast cars so far, I plan to add 1 more and that's it for me for as far as I can see. I'm quitting it because it's damn costly and the quality is disappointing. I realize they cost way too much and my spouse will not be pleased if I continue collecting much more. I might add more cars but it'll be for some special cases like the Wangan Midnight Blackbird.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 am

I realize they cost way too much and my spouse will not be pleased
Leave her! ;)

wackygt

Post by wackygt » Mon May 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Mac47 wrote:Body parts not staying open! Argh! Floppy doors on the Huayra. Scissor doors that won't stay up on the old AUTOart Diablo. Koenisegg clamshell slams shut, won't stay up with dampers. Hate it so much.
Yeah I hear you Mac I have had issues with both the CCX clamshell and the Huayra doors. CCX was an easy enough did as if you gently squeeze the strut with some pliers it will stay up. The Huayra on the other hand I have never been able to fix!!

OT: I have learnt over the years to try not to be too OCD with these things - models are never 100% perfect if you look hard enough for faults. Although I admit that if I pay close to £200 for a model I expect it to be close to perfect!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon May 29, 2017 6:48 pm

OT: I have learnt over the years to try not to be too OCD with these things - models are never 100% perfect if you look hard enough for faults. Although I admit that if I pay close to £200 for a model I expect it to be close to perfect!
So true! If I let my OCD take lead I would return 95% of the models I bought. :lol:

karlis

Post by karlis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 am

More rants...

Few days ago received new Autoart Corvette C4, covered in paint rash and with an ugly 4mm patch of paint or glue drop on one of the wheels. I should have returned it (lesson learned), but decided to fix, so it took around 5 hours to minimize rash and deal with damaged wheel and it is still not as good as it should be :( Beginning to hate Autoart...

Today received Corvette C3 from LittleBolide just to discover that antenna is missing (empty bag in the box and antenna nowhere to be found). Huge disappointment as the model itself is almost perfect which is very rare. Will have to return if they refuse to send me the missing part.

This is terrible...

KJamezy

Re: Quality is constant disapointment. How do you deal with it?

Post by KJamezy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Guys if we are all so pedantic to details and quality why we simply don’t create our own production, so we and other car enthusiasts will be happy)

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:20 am

KJamezy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:18 pm
Guys if we are all so pedantic to details and quality why we simply don’t create our own production, so we and other car enthusiasts will be happy)
A lot easier said than done!

Castbub Cartung

Post by Castbub Cartung » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:44 pm

My first diecast purchase/delivery is mostly dismay and dissapointment, both in the items themselves and that I'm likely done with this racket before I even get started. How many I will keep of the buses purchased remains to be seen but two out of my first four are being refunded and returned respectivlely. Not good stats.

Edit: So ended-up having a great experience, a blessing in disguise if you will, taking care of my defective buses at the shop today. Took a road trip out there and it won't be the last. Will be continuing the old-fasioned way, going to my "local" shop, viewing and dealing in-person.

Return to “General Discussion”