How do you deal with / fight perfectionism?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
karlis

How do you deal with / fight perfectionism?

Post by karlis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:25 am

One year in the hobby and 70 models later, I still feel petrified each time the postman ships a box and depressed each time I find 0.5mm offset in body gaps or improperly centered decal or headlight installed at an angle (e.g. on Autoart Porsches)

And it ruins the day and the week sometimes.

Sometimes I seriously believe that I would be much more happy to receive Autoart models as kits.

Trying to learn to accept this, but with limited success. I have learned to live with light paint-rash, opening parts not staying open, minor marks on paint and chrome etc. I even no more buy model that is not photographed from all sides, but still get "angle" problems.

Do not want to leave this hobby, hell no, the dividends of joy are huge, but I somehow need to get rid of the analism :crazy:

Any ideas about the cure? Should I start buying Buragos to train against my disease? Or should I learn to disassemble the models just to rebuild them to perfect spec (but then fear of breaking them takes over).

[KRAFTIG]

Re: How do you deal with / fight perfectionism?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 pm

LOL your OCD is worse than mine. I don't sweat the small things as much as I once did. What really grinds my gears is improperly seeding glass, models that don't sit on all four wheels, and bad paint.

What will happen when your model(s) develop paint rash or diecast cancer? LOL :D

karlis

Post by karlis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:models that don't sit on all four wheels
Is this even possible?
[KRAFTIG] wrote:What will happen when your model(s) develop paint rash or diecast cancer? LOL :D
Then I go :crazy:

Cancer, I believe, is the end, while paint-rash can be polished and I have done so on numerous occasions.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Is this even possible?
Yes, happens in resin all the time. The new diecast Almost Real Bentley I received has a slight issue too. Damn I need to get off my ass and write that review! :deal:

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:56 pm

All I can say, is that after collecting since the mid-90's, and watching the industry change from the extraordinary early quality of UT, AutoArt, Exoto, and GMP to the current consumer bait and buy; I just grab the KY right after I hit the "Buy" button.

We, as collectors, let our complacency with minor flaws evolve into acceptable major flaws, and that message was not ignored by the diecast marketers.

We're stuck with what the market is dealing, and if you want to continue to collect, you just whip out that credit card, swipe, and bend over.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:08 am

Amen!

karlis

Post by karlis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:23 pm

I think you are talking about bigger flaws. So to be on the same page and understand if I am :crazy: , here are few examples that have caused depression on numerous occasions (pictures from other models, but mine have similar flaws). How do you get used to live with stuff like this and accept those models?

Example 1: "Carrera" logo is off center here (also engine cover does not line up perfectly on the right side) - this is the actual reason I will have to travel across 4 borders to Germany to buy one in person:

Example 2: "Porsche" sign is attached at an angle here - seen on most models, including one of mine:

Example 3: Inconsistent body gaps on both sides of the hood (one side is way wider) - seen this on 80% models, including mine:

Example 4: Porsche badge is off by around 1 mm - on ALL pre-facelift AA 977 GT3 models (including mine):

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:05 pm

I guess it's impossible to get models that perfect. If quality control will be that harsh and mold production that perfect, models prices will go through the roof even more than already. To be honest, i check all my models for flaws but what you are showing here are not flaws but production tolerances. That is my OPINION ;)

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Hahahahahha, don't use my pics and remind me of the issues at hand!

karlis

Post by karlis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 am

I agree that these are "manufacturing tolerances", but they do tend to get me...
[KRAFTIG] wrote:Hahahahahha, don't use my pics and remind me of the issues at hand!
So it is not just me after all? :lol:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 am

:D

karlis

Post by karlis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 am

Actually I wanted to ask you about AA 993. I noticed that you ordered a blue one in addition to your silver one. Are the body gaps and decals better?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:04 am

karlis wrote:Actually I wanted to ask you about AUTOart 993. I noticed that you ordered a blue one in addition to your silver one. Are the body gaps and decals better?
The Silver one wasn’t mine the Blue is. Supplier never sent the model on the last order, which I paid for. Should arrive later this month. I’ll post detailed photos ASAP.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

The panels gaps examples you shown are indeed production tolerances. But I have a solution for you. Get a job at Autoart on the assembly line and stay overtime to hand pick the best fitting parts so you can buy the resulting “perfect” model for your personal collection :rotfl:

Seriously some of these issues can be fixed or improved if you develop some skills.

On a side note you may want to consider discussing your OCD with a professional.

karlis

Post by karlis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:28 am

Atalante wrote:On a side note you may want to consider discussing your OCD with a professional.
Oh, indeed, I have and it turned out that I have incredible talent to discard everything that is cool and focus only on the worst aspects of anything. Various self-help activities and training sessions have been prescribed :roll:

This issue goes through all areas of life including home construction and renovation, buying 1:1 vehicles, restoring my old car etc.

That said, I have never ever sent back any model with "manufacturing tolerances" as I suspected that it is me who is :crazy: I have even fixed some.

Return to “General Discussion”