Resale value of high end models

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
sushi2526

Resale value of high end models

Post by sushi2526 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 am

Hi everyone

I have a few MR Collection models with me. I have 2 of them for now and another one coming soon. They are 1 of 25, 1 of 3 and 1 of 1 special editions. I live in India and getting them imported costs a fortune at the local customs office (almost 42% on billing and shipping cost). I almost spend around $1000 for a Lamborghini Centenario Roadster Chameleon edition which is just 1 of 3. If I am willing to sell this in the future, could I expect a similar price for it? If the market does not seem to give me such a return, then I guess I would stop importing these high-end models altogether.

Thank you

StratosWRC

Re: Resale value of high end models

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Your best bet is to check sold prices on ebay. A quick check reveals that MR models go for about $300-500 depending on rarity. Whether your chameleon edition will get more money will depend entirely on the quality of your posting, shipping price and seller feedback. What you can do is post it for let's say $1200 USD with a best offer option. Considering how much some of these models go for, I wouldn't be surprised if someone offered you $1000. But why are you paying so much for importing them? I always tell the seller to list a low value, $20-50 on the customs papers. That way I usually don't pay any import fees...

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Good luck friend. People that would spend that king of money are few and far between. You'll be sitting on the right buyer for awhile. Also MR creates so many variants that a low number is somewhat of a marketing angle. Wes above has provided some good advice. As I always says, a model is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

sushi2526

Post by sushi2526 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Can I actually contact the manufacturer and ask him to give a bill value of lesser amount? I know I could request the local seller or dealer to do it. But would the official manufacturer do that?

I actually have a dealer in my country who helps me get the Autoart's and GT-Spirits for almost the same price as international market. But he too quoted around $950 when I requested him for that specific model. He said that approx $550 was the amount that MR Collection gave him as a quotation when requested.

The same dealer has some of the other MR Collection for a much lesser price. Like the Bugatti Vision GT, which he has for sale for around $450 including shipping. He too goes through the same channel as an individual at the customs office though.

I seriously am confused about this economics.

I am more interested in rare pieces so till now did not think about the prices so much as I thought to get only a few. But as the collection is increasing I am concerned if I'm shedding away really high amounts.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Can I actually contact the manufacturer and ask him to give a bill value of lesser amount? I know I could request the local seller or dealer to do it. But would the official manufacturer do that?
You can try, but I doubt you'll have success unless from a third party.

It is a simple are this, if you're in this hobby for return on investment, stop collecting now. :deal:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 pm

You never know unless you ask. They're Italians, who are a famously lax people. I'm sure there's something they could do for a valued customer. Just explain your situation and hint that future purchases may be on hold unless they find a way. As gently as possible of course.

sushi2526

Post by sushi2526 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:59 pm

I have no intention to make profits on these models. But because I am spending such huge sums of money, I want it to be fair for me as a collector. Even when my country charges 43.6% of the total value, shipping value and some additional charges that we have no clue about, I did get almost 5 or 6 models imported so far. I even carried 4 scale models from USA with me when traveling to India. Such is the interest I have in the collection but I have my financial constraints.

As a collector, I do look at good deals, like anyone would. I can only find BBURAGO's and Maisto's in India and some Kyosho's.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I guess I need to stick to the models that are only available in India locally.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm

They're Italians, who are a famously lax people.
I can laugh, I'm Italian! :rotfl:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm

sushi2526 wrote:I have no intention to make profits on these models. But because I am spending such huge sums of money, I want it to be fair for me as a collector. Even when my country charges 43.6% of the total value, shipping value and some additional charges that we have no clue about, I did get almost 5 or 6 models imported so far. I even carried 4 scale models from USA with me when traveling to India. Such is the interest I have in the collection but I have my financial constraints.

As a collector, I do look at good deals, like anyone would. I can only find BBURAGO's and Maisto's in India and some Kyosho's.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I guess I need to stick to the models that are only available in India locally.
In my opinion you are grossly over paying for what you receive. Look into other brands.

seppuku

Post by seppuku » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
It is a simple are this, if you're in this hobby for return on investment, stop collecting now. :deal:
True dat...

Think of it as a bonus.... :)

sushi2526

Post by sushi2526 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm

I am sorry to see people judging on a single question of what these models are worth. I haven't talked about selling any of my models and just asked if the resale value of these is going to be similar to what I have put in. Maybe in the future, I would like to trade or renew my collection and may want to shed out some of the old models for new ones.

Anyway, thank you for all your responses. I haven't stopped collecting even if I am being charged hefty amounts and will not stop it as well.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I am sorry to see people judging on a single question of what these models are worth
It's not judging it is providing you concrete feedback. Sometimes the reality hurts little. This hobby is not about re-sale, future value or what not, it's all about passion. Buy what you like. But as I said you are over paying for MR collection period.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm

I think what he meant to say was if he decided to sell in the future, would he at least be able to make his money back. I think as collectors we all want this to be the case. :fingercrossed: :money:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

StratosWRC wrote:I think what he meant to say was if he decided to sell in the future, would he at least be able to make his money back. I think as collectors we all want this to be the case. :fingercrossed: :money:
At those prices, NO. I think I made that clear a few times :money: :money: :money:

Return to “General Discussion”