The resin window bubble!

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
JamesonsViggen

The resin window bubble!

Post by JamesonsViggen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:32 pm

I've learned to embrace resin cars and have 45-60 or so.

The issue I see more and more is the window bubble!

Two cars went back this week alone, one Top Speed and one Otto.

It's not an easy fix and often is made worse. You press down one spot and another pops up in it's place.

This is the one QC issue that the manufacturers need to figure out. Gluing on a mirror is something I don't send cars back for.

Add to the fact GTS is now $140 USD and Otto is $130, I may turn away from resin all together.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: The resin window bubble!

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm in the same boat. I too have tried to over look the sealed aspect. It is soooo frustrating that when your #1 is to get the exterior right these inflated QC issues as of late are grinding my gears. Returning models and dealing with customer service is not in my make-up, but like you said when you are paying good money for these models they should arrive issue free! :shame:

I ask all collectors to hold manufacturers accountable. Unfortunately most of the time it's the retail side that has to deal with most of the fire :(

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Same for me. Not specifically about window bubbles but never ending QC issues on resin models are making me so frustrated. I received another so called “high end” resin model this week and it is a shame they have the balls to ship such a thing. Exceptionally this time it’s not the retail side that is dealing with the backlash but one of the big guys at the manufacturer.

JamesonsViggen

Post by JamesonsViggen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:22 am

I find 100% perfect models almost never exist. A lot I can fix or willing to accept. The window issue though is a deal breaker and goes back to the retailer.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 am

JamesonsViggen wrote:I find 100% perfect models almost never exist. A lot I can fix or willing to accept. The window issue though is a deal breaker and goes back to the retailer.
Absolutely agree.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 am

If the rest of the window is correctly sitting in place the bubble is easy to repair, done it several times.

I am also more than willing to fix small issues. But large or lots of glue marks, mis-assembled parts, windows not sitting right (with bubble) and paint scuffings all over the place are deal breakers in my book.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:46 pm

If the rest of the window is correctly sitting in place the bubble is easy to repair, done it several times.
I have a slight bump on the centre top. Did not want to return because the colour sold out fast, main reason I bought the model. TIA

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm

If you are able to push down that bubble and make the windshield sit perfectly flat in the area without poping another bubble on the side that should be an easy fix. Put a very, very tiny amount of epoxy glue under the windshield (with an exacto blade for example), gently push down and hold it until the glue is cured (don’t use CA glue, cures to fast and is too risky).

If you can’t flatten that bubble it means that the rest of the windshield is not sitting correctly and need to be removed and reinstalled. In this case I don’t recommend you try (unless you know what you are doing of course).

JamesonsViggen

Post by JamesonsViggen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:49 pm

My NSX bubble is the bad kind. It's like Whack-A-Mole...every time you press down the bubble another pops up.

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:03 pm

I have 15 GT Spirits and 5 Ottos and most of them have some sort of defect, but the one that bugs me the most (over paint issues) is the window bubbles. I think 5-6 of them have the issue, including one model which has a window simply too large for the model so it overhangs. I haven't attempted to fix any yet, just not sure I can.

But overall, I've been trying to sway from GTS specifically. I don't have a problem with resin, but GTS in particular has been going downhill in quality it seems. My last two Porsches, a ruby 964 Carrera RS and a black 3.3 Turbo S, have been pretty bad!

Return to “General Discussion”